Street stall vs. sit-down dining

Hi, I’m wanting to open a food business, and I’m considering the advantages of starting it out as a street cart kind of deal as the fare could be quite simple, just to test it out. My main question, I guess, is that I want to know if I can avoid a lot of the legal intricacies and financial burdens of opening a full-on business, if I only want to operate a food cart rather than a restaurant. Does anyone know exactly what is required? Do I still have to incoroporate, demonstrate X profits in 2 years, have the 500k, etc. etc.?

So if nobody has any idea, can anyone at least tell me where I would go and how to find out this kind of information? Is there an equivalent of the Small Business Association we have in the states here in Taiwan?

Honestly, if nobody can answer even the question of where to go locally to find answers to business questions, it seems there really shouldn’t be a forum titled business and entrepreneurship here at all…

I know absolutely nothing about this myself, but you may find something useful in these threads:

Can I open my own business?: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 88&t=40895
Food vendor permit: Food vendor permit
Advice for a small movable food store on the street: Advice for small movable food store on the street
How do I get a stall in a night market: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 88&t=16032
Night Market Stand Startup Questions: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … &p=1229934
Cost to do a night market stand/business: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 88&t=77497
Can a Foreigner Sell Things in a Night Market: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 70&t=42303
How to start a restaurant/bar in Taiwan: How to start a Restaurant/Bar in Taiwan
opening a restaurant or cafe in Taipei: Opening a restaurant or cafe in taipei
Open a restaurant or food stand: what permits are required: Open restaurant or food stand. What permits, etc required

1 Like

Holidays, most people are probably busy enjoying the holidays. There is a lot of previous discussion that can be found via search.

Ive wondered this question myself.

No idea sorry, but bumping it for you

[quote=“lostinasia”]I know absolutely nothing about this myself, but you may find something useful in these threads:

Can I open my own business?: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 88&t=40895
Food vendor permit: Food vendor permit
Advice for a small movable food store on the street: Advice for small movable food store on the street
How do I get a stall in a night market: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 88&t=16032
Night Market Stand Startup Questions: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … &p=1229934
Cost to do a night market stand/business: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 88&t=77497
Can a Foreigner Sell Things in a Night Market: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 70&t=42303
How to start a restaurant/bar in Taiwan: How to start a Restaurant/Bar in Taiwan
opening a restaurant or cafe in Taipei: Opening a restaurant or cafe in taipei
Open a restaurant or food stand: what permits are required: http://tw.forumosa.com/t/open-restaurant-or-food-stand-what-permits-etc-required/52094/1[/quote]

WOW very awesome, thank you! :notworthy:

I don’t know, for some reason the search function here does not work for me, I didn’t find a single one of these threads that way, honestly these results look like voodoo to me lol.

I recommend just using Google instead: type your search term, and then “site:forumosa.com”. That’s how I found all of the above.

So here’s the answer, it seems, that absolutely nothing is required to have a night-market booth. No license, no special visa, nothing, except you pay whatever fee is associated with whatever night market you want to go to.

For a stand on the side of the road, I can’t yet find any answers.