Street vendors: good or bad?

I don’t see how it is relevant that these vendors earn their living from illegally squatting public space. They block the sidewalk, thus I need to walk on the road and get hit by a scooter or a car. It makes me angry to see young mothers with their children or old folks being forced to walk in the middle of the road because some vendor illegally set up his cart. Don’t even get me started with how a lot of vendors have hoses running from their deep-fryer into the public sewer system. Expel them and let them go broke I say.

yes, you are right about all what you said. :bravo:
Unfortunately, these people worked all their live for a very small salary. They do not have insurance, saving or help from anyone. They’ll have to pay a rent to the shop in front of them so they do not call police.
Maybe they need to be educated concerning the dumping waste etc (again, a small one is an easy target… what about our mega billions $ industry and the REAL pollution?)… but just getting rid of them!!! Hummm!!!
People in general are only concern by their own little world ( a better salary give you the right to say all this bullsh…). Maybe the government should tax people like you a bit more to help them financing the persons in need like what’s happening in the western world :roflmao: . Or maybe you should just take 5 min and discuss a bit with them… you will see something amazing! they are just as HUMAN as YOU. yes!
Give them a bit of credit by trying to survive without harming anyone and on their own.
anyway, the topic of this thread is not about opinions on what happening but just informations about what’s going on.

Everybody in Taiwan is enrolled in the NHI (National Health Insurance), so vendors also have insurance. Also, there are subsidies for low-income families in Taiwan. The government recently increased the budget for these people by 10 billion NT$ (chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national … elfare.htm)

Funny that you seem to know my tax bracket. But maybe we should make sure vendors pay their fair share: the vast majority of them evades sales tax and income tax. Yet they use (and squat on) public roads and send their children to public schools. I don’t know where you got that idea from that vendors are poor people either. They take cheap raw materials and sell them for factors of 10 and upwards of their purchase price.

Never did I write they are not human. You are the one starting all that taxation / people like / etc. bs.

They squat on sidewalks and force young mothers with children, the elderly and the disabled to walk on the street. And you are telling me these vendors don’t harm anyone?

yes, you are right about all what you said. :bravo:
Unfortunately, these people worked all their live for a very small salary. They do not have insurance, saving or help from anyone. They’ll have to pay a rent to the shop in front of them so they do not call police.
[/quote]

Not always. I know a storeowner who’d love to get rid of the vendors in front of her store but the vendors are connected to the local crime boss and she’s not.

I find it odd to be agreeing with hsinhai but there you go.

The only thing Ma Ying Jeou ever did for Taipei was made the sidewalks walkable. Okay and expand the riverside bike paths.

And he helped getting Gay Pride on the go…the police are definitely more busy now that the drinking and driving fines have increased. I get pulled over the moment I leave the club, and then at least once more heading into Xindian.
You can get a license to have a stall, but yes I think it is more expensive than getting fined.
It is like teaching kindy. Everyone knows it happens…when they come, you run.