Streetfighting

My taekyondo sensei always said use your skills only when there is no choice no way out

Most pros advocate running away as fast as you can

3 Likes

It’s the case most of the time. How often, and where, are you seeing street fights that you think it’s rarely the case that people don’t get into street fights?

edit: last time I came back from the sandbox, I was somewhat belligerent - I think I was probably going through some lightweight PTSD - and wasn’t taking any shit from anyone at basically any level. Even then, no street fights - because normal people aren’t going to throwdown, even if they instigate and start out talking big. Now that I’m better readjusted, it hasn’t even been close to a thing. :wink:

1 Like

Well, Taiwan Self-Defense Law is a joke, worst than the Stallone Movie: Demolition Man ( In the future) .

Here if there’s a prick driving like crazy, if you show the middle finger and he caught you on camera…You Lose. - Theres one case I saw on the news not long ago and then there’s @Marco …unless are the same case?

Second , take the racist taiwanese against the Indian guy in Louisa Coffee last week. I really admire that man, he let the taiwanese insult him and caught him on video and now he is Suing that racist mothaf …

But if I was in the situation of the indian guy…I probably would lose ( I will win the fight but lose a lot of money and maybe get some time in Jail )

Then u have the case of an armed thief that entered into a residence of a married couple with the wife soon to give birth. The husband defend his home against this intruder, and when he tried to use the Gun, the husband gave him a jiujitsu lock and let him incounceous…but died on the way to hospital…and who lost? The husband that tried to protect his family and pregnant wife of don’t become a widow on the hands of an armed thief with the intenton to kill.

And finally you have the most pathetic and more accurate Demolition Man scenario, where Taiwanese Police can’t even shoot a taser gun to an armed dangerous person.

The most common scenarios are the 8+9 gangs or crazy people that attacks with Knife, the police just ask to calm down and peacefully put the cuffs on.

I remember a video where the police already received many stabs and cuts…and still tried to calm down the criminal.

I had only one encounter with 8+9 gang when i horn their car, and when they came out their vehicle they were 5 So I just use the best weapon WE have: The Facts

So i said in chinese:. "ohhh , 好厲害喔, so this is the Real Taiwanese Man? Need a Handicap in order to defend your honor against a Foreigner?

You use bat to compensate your small size? Who will fight? You or all of them? If you at least have balls, you will fight one to one, no help or intervention from the other “ladies” with bats. "

At that moment i was under tooany stress amd frustration…and as you I was beggin for a barfight or 8+9 fight inorder to release these feelings…so when I encounter this one…I didn’t care the consequences…BUT…

A police car passes by with a One Siren Warning ( the one they use for people that park their cars in forbidden areas. Seems like they use it on me, and ambut the gang immediately enter their car and ran out , maybe do the sizeof my SUV the Police didn’t saw them. So i just play the" No No No Speak chinese Foreigner ". And that i just checking my wheels cuz i "felt " I hit something .

1 Like

Mine was settled privately.

That doesn’t seem long enough ago. :neutral_face:

1 Like

If I fight it will only be to defend myself
Or my loved
Ones and there is no choice

As it is now I can get injured
Just
Getting out of the bed so best leave that aside all this kung fu

Besides here they use guns your Foo no work

1 Like

In my opinion a fight avoided is better than a fight won.
A local police officer told me that a fight in Taiwan will never end well. If you loose, you’ll be in the hospital, if you win you’ll be prosecuted.

Maybe you could fight other foreigners. The chance is higher that instead of in court, you’ll indeed end up in the next 7, having a beer together.

4 Likes

This is a fun thread!

Streetfighting…it’s inevitable. In Taiwan? :rofl: (and I hate this emoji but it’s really the only one applicable)

3 Likes
6 Likes

100% agree

I heard of a guy who had a 3rd degree black belt in tkdo and he decided to fight off 3 thugs. Apparently, his skills were not useful in a street fight because he ended up in an ICU.

2 Likes

Maybe he had an off day.

The thing about streefights is, you don’t know anything about the other person’s skills until it starts. And by that time, it may be too late.

3 Likes

Yep, all sorts of unforeseen events are possible. That was kind of my point.

1 Like

The thing about street fights is you don’t know anything about anything.

2 Likes

I’ve never had a streetfight. A guy tried to mug me once.

1 Like

Me, neither. I think jimi might have overstated the inevitability on this one…

2 Likes

One against three is a tough ask. I don’t think they take it in turns like in the movies.

3 Likes

That would be you physically attacking someone then. You’ve just lost financially as they are going to sue the shit out of you and win (in Taiwan). You’ll likely lose physically as well as most people that talk a lot about how they will handle an imaginary fight are typically very bad at fighting, and you’re talking a lot.

Despite having been through more street fights than I care to remember in my youth and being a reasonable good amateur boxer the best advice I can give anyone and advice I stick by myself these days, if you think there is going to be a physical fight then run away.

4 Likes

Not to mention jail time (or being able to pay a fine to get out of jail), and possible deportation afterwards.