Stricter laws for Chinese citizens naturalizing and how it may spillover

Don’t need to pledge any oath when resuming citizenships.

I didn’t pledge any oath for ROC or Irish citizenship. Ireland just said don’t go blowing up any bandsmen by remote control cause we Irish are good at that.

Roc is already independent

Why is it good for the soul ?

I recently renounced mine on the 24th of February and got my citizenship back on the 13th of March.
Those couple of weeks were very soul cleansing and I feel like a new man.

You need to try it

1 Like

I mean yeah we can say this as a political opinion, and I agree with you in that the ROC and PRC are distinct/independent governments not subordinate to each other, but the legal reality of how China and Chinese people are classified and dealt with by the ROC does not align with our opinions.

The very existence of the mainland affairs council and the Act governing relations with the mainland area contradicts us, as well as the multiple references to national unification in current and recently amended ROC laws.

Again, I ask the same question as I did above.

No. But it is a step in that direction and a step in the right direction if you ask me.

1 Like

Definitely agreed on that one.

I have . I didn’t feel anything but lots of paper work and bother.

Pledging an oath is decent, they should make the test tricky. Its quite easy to trigger mainlanders with Taiwan related stuff. Making them say something along the lines of ‘Taiwan is a real country and does not belong to China’ would be a challenging test already i would think.

1 Like

A KMT bill proposal is calling for the naturalization process of Chinese spouses to be shortened from six years to four. Today, almost 300 people from pro-Taiwan NGOs got together to protest this proposed change, because they fear that Taiwan is following in the footsteps of Hong Kong. The DPP’s Huang Jie is proposing stricter naturalization requirements, which include an oath of allegiance to Taiwan.

Pro-Taiwan groups have slammed KMT proposal to shorten the naturalization process for Chinese spouses from six to four years. The New Party has dismissed the protests as discriminatory, but pro-Taiwan NGOs have fired back, saying that Chinese spouses are receiving preferential treatment.

1 Like