Strictly Typing bo po mo fo on Computer

Is there a way to strictly type the zhuyin fuhao on your computer without Chinese characters being imputed?

Thanks.

[quote=“s_brandon”]Is there a way to strictly type the zhuyin fuhao on your computer without Chinese characters being imputed?

Thanks.[/quote]
Yes, if you use windows IME, just install the traditional ime. It should default to using zhuyin. if not, open the properties and then keyboard mapping and change to “Standard”

If you want more details, you need to tell me which version of windows you’re using

if you’re using MAC, then well…you’re SOL if I’m helping you >.>

[quote=“craya”][quote=“s_brandon”]Is there a way to strictly type the zhuyin fuhao on your computer without Chinese characters being imputed?

Thanks.[/quote]
Yes, if you use windows IME, just install the traditional ime. It should default to using zhuyin. if not, open the properties and then keyboard mapping and change to “Standard”

If you want more details, you need to tell me which version of windows you’re using

if you’re using MAC, then well…you’re SOL if I’m helping you >.>[/quote]The OP wants the output to be zhuyin fuhao symbols. I’ve no idea. Presumably the symbols are part of Unicode somewhere, but I don’t know how you could input them easily without inputting the character codes manually. I guess there’s a way though. It would be a real hassle for local publishers to print all those kids’ books otherwise.

You just need to install the right font on a PC, or select it on a Mac.

[quote=“Buttercup”]You just need to install the right font on a PC…[/quote]The Zhuyin symbols are already in MS Arial Unicode and the various SimSun and MingLiU fonts. And I just found out that they turn up in the picklist on the MS IME. But you have to scroll down past a lot of characters to get them. I wonder how you could just get the zhuyin, without the characters. Maybe you’d need a third party IME.

Well you can do it with hanyu pinyin as well, but i dont know the right input for all of them

ㄇ=m
ㄟ=ei
ㄕ=shi
ㄔ=chi
ㄧ=yi
ㄖ=ri
ㄋ=n
ㄣ=en

there is more, but that’s all i can remember from the hanyu set

if you just use “standard” and you know the keyboard mapping, its simpler…just hit that button and then hit space.

I don’t have a PC anymore, but as I remember, I just downloaded a font, and it worked fine. Don’t think I downloaded an addition IME.

On a Mac, you just select the IME in the language bar.

[quote=“craya”]if you just use “standard” and you know the keyboard mapping, its simpler…just hit that button and then hit space.[/quote]I see–I didn’t realise at first that you were talking about the “Chinese (Traditional) - Phonetic” IME. Using that does cut down the length of the picklist, and the picklist isn’t needed at all for some symbols such as ㄍ and ㄇ.

I remember cos I spent ages faffing, trying to help the Chinese teacher at my school create some customized Chinese story books that fitted in with the English storybooks I was doing.

We had all different levels of stuff; some with ‘easy’ characters, some with bopomofo and some with characters with the bpmf at the side of the character. Nearly made my head explode, me an d’my first computer’…

but why use zhuyin to type? its so much more picky than the hanyu mapping.

Whenever I used it, if I didn’t hit the number for the tones, it would start beeping at me like a PMSy computer. Hanyu mapping, on the other hand, lets me be even more lazy and type like Taiwanese.

你好ㄇ? no tone markings and no A at the end. hurray laziness >.>

Whenever I used it, if I didn’t hit the number for the tones, it would start beeping at me like a PMSy computer. Hanyu mapping, on the other hand, lets me be even more lazy and type like Taiwanese.

你好ㄇ? no tone markings and no A at the end. hurray laziness >.>[/quote]I never type in Zhuyin. But just now when I tried it (for Zhuyin output, that is), it didn’t seem to require the tones.

I agree that it would be a major hassle to do that for typing regular characters. Some people are very fast at it, of course, but I don’t think I could ever really get used to it.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“craya”][quote=“joesax”]

你好ㄇ? no tone markings and no A at the end. hurray laziness >.>[/quote]I never type in Zhuyin. But just now when I tried it (for Zhuyin output, that is), it didn’t seem to require the tones.

I agree that it would be a major hassle to do that for typing regular characters. Some people are very fast at it, of course, but I don’t think I could ever really get used to it.[/quote][/quote]

Maybe vista just hates me, or maybe i was delusional or something

[quote=“Buttercup”]I remember cos I spent ages faffing, trying to help the Chinese teacher at my school create some customized Chinese story books that fitted in with the English storybooks I was doing.

We had all different levels of stuff; some with ‘easy’ characters, some with bopomofo and some with characters with the bpmf at the side of the character. Nearly made my head explode, me an d’my first computer’…[/quote]
Doesn’t sound much fun. Hopefully at least those characters with bpmf at the side are all one thing together? Surely you don’t have to type in the bpmf separately and line it up at the side?

No! That would be nuts. There are variations for some characters, though. It was good for me cos i was only on PAV book two, so it consolidated a lot of stuff.

Am I confused? The OP wanted to type so that the bpmf showed up on the doc, as a learning tool, yes, not just input methods?

I can imagine that having to do something like that would help reinforce the characters.

[quote=“Buttercup”]The OP wanted to type so that the bpmf showed up on the doc, as a learning tool, yes, not just input methods?[/quote]Yes, I think so.

I’m sure people still need to download those combined character/bpmf fonts separately, but as for regular bpmf symbols alone, every PC running XP or Vista should have them.

If you already have the Chinese Keyboard installed and active on language bar, typing the Bopomofo characters is simple.

Simply start typing the ㄅ and the little box pops up, right? Instead of continuing to type (like you would to get a whole character) just hit the space bar and you are left with the ㄅ.

Same for the other characters. Of course, some bopomofo sounds are characters themselves. So when you try to type ㄔ and hit space, you’ll get a long list of characters that use ㄔ and the 1st tone. You’ll have to scroll down to Entry 7 and select that to get the ㄔ character.

This is with the Legacy IME. I’m not sure how to do it with the intelligent IME.

[quote=“MPenguin”]This is with the Legacy IME. I’m not sure how to do it with the intelligent IME.[/quote]Same way but the list of characters to scroll through is longer.

Dear S. Brandon,

You could always get the shareware NJStar Chinese Word Processor program.

Select ‘Symbols Input’ from the ‘Input’ pull down menu and choose the zhuyin (fuhao) keyboard.

Then point and click to type.

Kobo-Daishi, PLLA.

Yes they are. Previously I posted a link to a font which has them both together.