String of Thoughts Relating to Being Content

One of my biggest sources of anxiety these days is over career and my future path. I know I can make do with a relatively simple job, and I’d avoid the extra stress of a profession. But a voice tells me I won’t be satisfied without something more; I set my sights on that, but have to contend with the anxiety arising from self-doubt and a lack of self confidence that’s always held me back. Perhaps I ought to revisit my own advice.

What do you mean here?

I dunno. My feeling is we have a habit of applying some sort of “misery filter” to everything before, say, the 20th century or maybe a bit earlier. Almost like how as I kid I couldn’t imagine being able to entertain myself in the world of a few decades prior, without my computer or video games. Like it’s hard to imagine living content in a world without the comforts we now have, but it’s all relative. A world without medicine, running water and central heating was all they knew. And in the absence of war, famine or pestilence I can imagine most people got by okay. On the other hand I also get the feeling the far greater complexity of our modern lives means we are overexposed to stress, whereas when most of your concerns for the typical day were tilling the fields or practicing your trade and interacting with a smaller number of people you were pretty familiar with, life would have been a lot simpler.
I saw this clip of a man from a tribe still living a primitive life, on one of India’s islands I think. And from the way he talked, and the genuineness of his smile I was thinking “You can’t tell me you could plonk this guy in a city, give him an apartment and a 9-5 job and he’d be happier”.

A few of the major draw backs of modern life are that we are exposed to so many more situations that can potentially give rise to anxiety, warranted or not. And we are exposed to things like the news and politics which are generally beyond our control as individuals, but tend to cause people to worry more than is deserved.
I’ve been learning recently how we can learn to deal with undue stress and tune out from the excess noise, but that seems to be an increasingly difficult task, particularly for people predisposed to it and who never learnt a healthier way of thought. I mean I think it’s not much more than a year ago that I came to the realisation it was possible to change, and I think there must be so many people who go about life taking all the stress and worry as a given.

But going back to my original theory: back in the medieval time in particular, where the prevailing attitude was the spiritual was just as much a reality - a part of life as the physical, and moreover the promise of salvation in the second life and all that entailed; this would have given people the ability to be content with their lot and cope with situations in which someone who was convinced or inclined towards the idea that what we see is all there is, that they would despair.

Not to say everything was dandy back then; like yeah, disease and premature death for example was far more prevalent. But my feeling is people were better able to cope with such things back then. And we’re yet to escape the human condition as of 2021.

2 Likes

From such a brief Wikipedia entry I’m surprised it’s so well known! More things to look in to when I get around to it

I’m not sure the exact meaning of enlightenment here; I’m taking it to be something along the lines of full satisfaction. And having not yet looked into this guys writing I’m not sure I can comment on it, but I’m guessing he means being satisfied with all these aspects of your life, which doesn’t necessarily mean you need to excel in them.
I guess physical in this use doesn’t just mean athletic achievement etc but also physical comfort. With the former I guess you can look back on your glory days with fondness. But it must be harder to sit in your cardboard box thinking “it’s not so bad, remember that luxury house and sports car I used to have!”
There’s that adage where you ought not be sad that it’s over, but be glad that it happened.

But whereas you can have a fulfilling spiritual and emotional life, and keep that up until the day you die, physical wellbeing will inevitably fade and is most susceptible to accident and disaster.
And then, to those of us who believe in life after death, it is of course only the spiritual that can be taken with us (well uh, if we don’t get into ghost money and stuff…)

That’s a pretty big exception. Most people either died of war, famine, or pestilence, lived on the edge of war, famine or pestilence, or had a brief respite because the previous generation had been greatly reduced through war, famine, or pestilence.
I’m not a big fan of Yuval Harari (liked Sapiens, thought Homo Deus was mostly a 600-page ad for Google and Amazon) but he had a good point in that if an Eocene squirrel had achieved Nirvana and found contentment in getting a single nut, it would have died out and been replaced with another squirrel that was content with finding a nut but ten minutes after eating it was anxiously looking for another.

Probably people were just as happy in previous eras (when they were not dying from war etc.), but we are not them and not content to live the way they did. I grew up without computers or video games, with two channels on a B&W TV that shut down at ten o’clock. I was used to it, to my father who had fought in WWII this was abundance, to my grandfather who had fought in WWI almost unthinkable luxury.
We’re not meant to be happy. When you’re old and running down, if you’re reasonably content, you’re ahead of the game.

1 Like

It’s about your conditioning. What programmed your behavior when you were young. Your flight fight response, etc. If you haven’t looked deeply at your own behavior and reflected on how it got that way, you are following the beat of someone else’s drum.