Stuck in an elevator

Came home to discover the sole elevator in my building stuck between floors. Better yet, there was a woman stuck, cooking inside.
And there I was, with no idea how to say “Elevator” or “Stuck between floors.” Damn.
Thanks for the assistance, V.

I’ve been the one inside. I learned my lesson.

Call the super/guard/building manager/neighbor association president/nosiest of nosiest old obasans and say:

Diendi kao yu le!

Chow min a!

Io ren tzai limien!

(The lift is stuck. Help! There is someone inside!)

It takes 20 minutes to get her out. If past 2 no one arrives, call fire station/emergency services. 119 or 113 if I’m not mistaken.

What was she cooking?

So did you say sorry and walk away? :slight_smile:

HG

Basting in her own juices.
Nah, I made sure she got out… you never know, she might have been cute. (She wasn’t.)

Dian4ti1 ka3zhu4le (or Dianti1 huai4le), you3 ren3 zai4 li3mian4!!!
(The elevator is stuck (or broken), there’s peeples inside!)

[quote=“Icon”]Call the super/guard/building manager/neighbor association president/nosiest of nosiest old obasans and say:

Diendi kao yu le![/quote]
“The intravenous drip is barbecuing fish!”

“Fried noodles!” (Cantonese)

[quote=“Jaboney”]Came home to discover the sole elevator in my building stuck between floors. Better yet, there was a woman stuck, cooking inside.
And there I was, with no idea how to say “Elevator” or “Stuck between floors.” Damn.
Thanks for the assistance, V.[/quote]

Could she climb through the emergency hatch at the top?

Isn’t there some kind of intercom inside the elevator?

Gotta be careful with that. A kid fell to his death after climbing out of a stuck elevator last week.

[quote=“Chris”]Could she climb through the emergency hatch at the top?[/quote]Have you ever ever ever in your whole life been in a lift with a hatch in the roof? Ones on TV don’t count.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Gotta be careful with that. A kid fell to his death after climbing out of a stuck elevator last week.[/quote]That’s why they don’t have them.

She was well stuck. The elevator’s regularly on the fritz. I believe someone came to ‘fix’ it this morning. Good reason to carry the cell, I guess.

Yes I have seen them, but they are apparently for workers to get in, not passengers to get out.

HG

Or tall enough -which I am not.

hey, I’m old school. I learned bopomofo. Never used Hanyu Pinyin. I have to use Tonyong -yes, we still have to use it, as no one has passed any official directive on this regard YET!!! :cry:

I was stuck in an elevator a few months ago. It was an old elevator that obviously hadn’t been maintained for a while in a rundown building. One thing that troubled me at the time was the possibility of the cable breaking. I once read somewhere that the best thing to do is to lie flat on the floor of the elevator (to spread out the force of the impact so you wouldn’t break your spine) rather than try to time the fall and jump right before it crashes. I was on the 8th floor so it would have been a pretty strong impact if the cable did break. Anybody know if that’s true? Good thing I didn’t have to put the theory to the test as rescue came after I made a couple of calls on my cell. But still it took a good 30 minutes before I got out. Not fun if you’re claustrophobic.

[quote=“Chris”][quote=“Icon”]Call the super/guard/building manager/neighbor association president/nosiest of nosiest old obasans and say:

Diendi kao yu le![/quote]
“The intravenous drip is barbecuing fish!”

“Fried noodles!” (Cantonese)[/quote]

Ha Ha, exactly what I thought she was saying…

Now, if you had seen the Mythbuster episode on elevator crashes, you would know that jumping up inside an elevator just before it crashes doesn’t help you a bit. The reason is very simple. No matter how strong your leg muscles are, there is no way for you to reverse the speed you are falling down. That myth is busted. :wink:

[quote=“Incubus”]I was stuck in an elevator a few months ago. It was an old elevator that obviously hadn’t been maintained for a while in a rundown building. One thing that troubled me at the time was the possibility of the cable breaking. I once read somewhere that the best thing to do is to lie flat on the floor of the elevator (to spread out the force of the impact so you wouldn’t break your spine) rather than try to time the fall and jump right before it crashes. I was on the 8th floor so it would have been a pretty strong impact if the cable did break. Anybody know if that’s true? Good thing I didn’t have to put the theory to the test as rescue came after I made a couple of calls on my cell. But still it took a good 30 minutes before I got out. Not fun if you’re claustrophobic.[/quote]Spreading yourself out should help you survive. Jumping at the point of impact obviously won’t. Again, if you cut all the cables in a properly maintained lift, it will just stay there.

[quote=“Jaboney”]She was well stuck. The elevator’s regularly on the fritz. I believe someone came to ‘fix’ it this morning. Good reason to carry the cell, I guess.[/quote]I was wondering why she took a stove with her. Cell phones don’t usually work well in lifts, being inside a big metal box.

She could have just clambered out and used her necktie to fashion a friction-type jumar, which she could have then used to shimmy up the cable to the mad professor’s floor and then rescued the sexy girl in her underwear from a fate worse then death.
God, but the people here are SO stupid!

[quote=“sandman”]She could have just clambered out and used her necktie to fashion a friction-type jumar, which she could have then used to shimmy up the cable to the mad professor’s floor and then rescued the sexy girl in her underwear from a fate worse then death.
God, but the people here are SO stupid![/quote]And miss out on the noodles? Are you mad?

Before you say it, a rope made of noodles won’t hold her weight.

A regular noodle rope won’t, granted. But how about a cunningly contrived one. Eh?