Student goes home wearing only one shoe after punishment

Today’s China Post runs a very Taiwan story, a Taiwan Moment. Comments?

chinapost.com.tw/detail.asp? … A&id=20145

Student goes home wearing only one shoe after punishment

A Taipei junior high school student was sent home wearing only one shoe recently, because the FEMALE teacher punished him by taking the other shoe.
A student of the Chin Hwa Junior High School in Taipei, surnamed Kin, was punished by his teacher for wearing shoes that did not match the school’s rules.

Kin, who got his white shoes wet in the rain, went to school wearing a pair of blue shoes. The class teacher insisted on punishing him even after Kin explained his reasons for breaking school rules.

The teacher took one of kin’s shoes and locked it in a locker. After school, Kin called his father, asking his father to pick him up.

After his father arrived at the school, he asked the discipline master of the school to return his son’s shoe. The discipline master apologized and returned the shoe immediately.

But later the teacher arrived and demanded that Kin receive his punishment, and after an argument, Kin’s father returned Kin’s shoe to the teacher in a rage, and said to the teacher “you will have to be responsible if he gets hurt on his way home!”

So Kin hopped to the bus stop on his own and went home with only one shoe.

Afterwards, the school officials apologized to the family and said they will ask the teacher to rethink HER punishment.

I think this teacher and the coach who beats his school-age players for not catching fly balls would make a perfect couple.

good, HakkaSonic! yes, a match made in heaven.

actually, there is probably an entire team of such “teachers” that could be fielded and paraded around Taiwan so that people could throw eggs at them! hehe.

And they only get to wear one shoe while they’re being paraded.

Had I been the father, I too would have returned the shoe. However, the “teacher” would have needed the aid of a proctologist to ever remove it.

Had I been the father, I too would have returned the shoe. However, the “teacher” would have needed the aid of a proctologist to ever remove it.[/quote]

Blueface, I would have given the teacher the pair, and tied together at that.

you guys slay me!!! LOL!

Formosa, is that perhaps your recommendation for the teachers punishment. Draw and quarter is a bit better.

Chou

what i don’t understand is why the father gave the shoe back to the teacher…

''But later the teacher arrived and demanded that Kin receive his punishment, and after an argument, Kin’s father returned Kin’s shoe to the teacher in a rage, and said to the teacher “you will have to be responsible if he gets hurt on his way home!” ‘’

If I was the papa, I would have smacked the teacher right then and there with the shoe and pummeled him hard. with the shoe.

This teacher deserves to be fired! sacked! a pox on the entire teaching profession. dummy~

I wouldn’t have thought that going without one shoe for a while would do the kid a great deal of harm. Teachers here inflict far worse punishments than that on their students, as did my teachers when I was at school (pulling down pants and spanking bare bottoms in front of the class, or delivering resounding slaps across the face, are far more humiliating and painful than taking away a shoe).

And when I was a kid, it wasn’t uncommon for playful classmates to grab one’s shoe (that might have flown off while kicking a ball, roughhousing, or whatever), run away and hide it, and leave one hobbling around one-shoed and trying to prevent the masters from seeing it for half the day. But it was all good clean fun and never did one any harm.

However, seeing the TV footage of that vicious baseball coach brutally smacking those little kids’ faces did incense me, and I don’t think a person like that should ever be allowed to coach, teach or get anywhere near any children again.

Omni, according to the story, the kid wore the wrong-colored shoes to school because his other shoes got wet in the rain, and that the student explained this to the teacher. Given these circumstances. do you really think the teacher’s actions are justified?

Big difference between a fellow student stealing a shoe and the person in authority doing it.

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]
Omni, according to the story, the kid wore the wrong-colored shoes to school because his other shoes got wet in the rain, and that the student explained this to the teacher. Given these circumstances. do you really think the teacher’s actions are justified?[/quote]

No, no, don’t get me wrong – I’m not suggesting that the kid deserved to be punished, or that the punishment would have been appropriate even if the kid had done something wrong. But it’s not the sort of thing that justifies a shocked or outraged response, or the teacher’s dismissal, or a punch in the face from the student’s dad, or anything like that.

I was watching “Matilda” last nite…it could have been about Taiwan.

Harry Wormwood: I’m smart; you’re dumb. I’m big; you’re little. And there’s nothing you can do about it.

marawilson.com/matilda.html

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“HakkaSonic”]
Omni, according to the story, the kid wore the wrong-colored shoes to school because his other shoes got wet in the rain, and that the student explained this to the teacher. Given these circumstances. do you really think the teacher’s actions are justified?[/quote]

No, no, don’t get me wrong – I’m not suggesting that the kid deserved to be punished, or that the punishment would have been appropriate even if the kid had done something wrong. But it’s not the sort of thing that justifies a shocked or outraged response, or the teacher’s dismissal, or a punch in the face from the student’s dad, or anything like that.[/quote]

The fact that the teacher insisted on the punishment deserves outrage. Not violence, mind you, but if the facts are that the kid’s shoes were wet and that’s why he wore the wrong-colored shoes, and that the teacher refused to relent in the face of this evidence, suggests that this person may not be an appropriate one to teach children.

I’d say that a couple of minutes of calm, non-censorious advice from the principal, asking the teacher whether, on reflection, she agreed that the punishment was not really warranted, and suggesting that she consider other ways to respond if a similar situation should arise in the future, would cover the matter nicely.

We mustn’t be too hard on teachers. They have an extremely difficult job to do, have to cope with tremendous stress, and can’t be expected to always exercise perfect judgment in every situation.

Taiwan just keeps churning out its own little PR disasters.

it’s so sad that this kind of “punishment” still happens in Taiwan, i know a person who was punished for talking in class (20 big stokes on his palms, could not use his hands for weeks), his parents went to school and threatened the teacher that, upon the kid’s graduation from the school, assistance from the gansters would be involved to reciprocate the “treament”, of course, the teacher resigned from her position way before the kid graduated - that was 25 years ago! if there are no rules to regulate people’s behaviors, then people have to make up their own rules.

I’d say that a couple of minutes of calm, non-censorious advice from the principal, asking the teacher whether, on reflection, she agreed that the punishment was not really warranted, and suggesting that she consider other ways to respond if a similar situation should arise in the future, would cover the matter nicely.

We mustn’t be too hard on teachers. They have an extremely difficult job to do, have to cope with tremendous stress, and can’t be expected to always exercise perfect judgment in every situation.[/quote]

I don’t know, Omni. For someone who would be this harsh on a student who wore the wrong shoes because the right ones were wet – would a few minutes of conversation with the principal do the trick? Remember, according to the story, the kid was not acting up or skipping school, but just wearing the wrong shoes. Couldn’t it simply be that there are many thousands of teachers in Taiwan (all of whom were able to memorize a bunch of stuff and pass a written test) and that some of them, as in any other country, simply suck, and shouldn’t be allowed to look after kids?

[quote=“HakkaSonic”]
Couldn’t it simply be that there are many thousands of teachers in Taiwan (all of whom were able to memorize a bunch of stuff and pass a written test) and that some of them, as in any other country, simply suck, and shouldn’t be allowed to look after kids?[/quote]

Oh yes, that’s for sure. Unfortunately, if the recruitment of teachers were restricted to only those who are perfectly qualified for and ideally suited to the job, there’d be a terrible scarcity of staff in the schools and they’d have to cram several hundred pupils into each class.

Teaching just isn’t a sufficiently attractive profession to lure enough people of the right kind. So we have to make do with the best that’s available. The system can only afford to weed out and exclude those who are utterly incompetent, brutally sadistic, or criminally perverted.

Is there a certain standard or a set of rules available for teachers regarding punishment in public schools?

I remember when I was a teenager at school, if you didn’t do your homework you would get punishment X, if you did something more serious you would get punishment Y, with extreme cases being sent to the principal. It seemed that there were some kind of set rules for punishment that every teacher followed. Maybe that kind of action was just seen as wise since caning was not the evil it is today, and they couldn’t have teachers whacking kids all over the place.

I find that teachers who punish kids while they are still angry often tend to do things that are humiliating rather than constructive…e.g. throwing a book out a window because of horrible handwriting, forcing a child to sit the entire time in class with his hand stuck in his mouth for biting his nails, tearing up expensive posters during show-and-tell because they think Iron Maiden is evil.
Taking a child’s shoe and forcing him to walk around without it is humiliating, and particularly wrong because often problems with uniform are the fault of the parents, not the child.