Student Visa, ARC at Shi Da. Any problems with renewal?

I’ve been hearing horror stories from some Asian classmates who have student visas and ARCs. At the new location, their renewals have been rejected. I’m an American. Wondering if any Americans out there have experienced any problems with renewals? I’ve been here two years now as a student without taking a break from Shi Da.

The students trying to renew have been hearing that taking one class at Shi Da is no longer going to qualify as a “full-time” student.

Are they just being rough on the Asian kids (Vietnam, Korea, to name two of my classmates’ countries of origin)?

Several years ago it was announced that visas would be given for a maximum of two years for learning Chinese. By that time you are supposed to “know” Chinese and are supposed to transfer to a government-recognised university or college for further studies. The Taiwan office in Singapore once refused to give me a visa for study purposes because my Chinese was too good! They eventually gave me one (for Pioneer after my girlfriend bombed the visa office with faxes.)

Chinese language students have always had to show attendance sheets and test results when renewing visas or trying to get an ARC. Some schools help out by “improving” students’ attendance records and test scores…something of which the police and immigration authorities are no doubt aware.

The government obviously feels that the nation’s coffers are overflowing and Taiwan does not need the revenues generated by foreigners learning Chinese.

Have read thru threads about the Singapore visa office and am wondering if anyone has been there in the last six months for a new visa. I’ve been in Taiwan for two years (six of those months just hopping in and out on my passport), and by the time I’ll need a new visa (October), I’ll have two years of study completed. My goal is to enter university next year, because I still don’t think my Chinese is good enough to attend classes. So, I’d like to know the odds of the Singapore office granting another visitor visa that can be extended for another six months, getting me through April 2008, by which time I will have applied for university and should (hopefully) be able to get the ARC.

I’m determined to stay and study, even if it means going back to the 30 days here/leave & come back for 30 days routine. But I’d obviously prefer some nice person OK’ing my visa, and know it ain’t gonna happen in Hong Kong!

[quote=“500CBFan”]Have read thru threads about the Singapore visa office and am wondering if anyone has been there in the last six months for a new visa. I’ve been in Taiwan for two years (six of those months just hopping in and out on my passport), and by the time I’ll need a new visa (October), I’ll have two years of study completed. My goal is to enter university next year, because I still don’t think my Chinese is good enough to attend classes. So, I’d like to know the odds of the Singapore office granting another visitor visa that can be extended for another six months, getting me through April 2008, by which time I will have applied for university and should (hopefully) be able to get the ARC.

I’m determined to stay and study, even if it means going back to the 30 days here/leave & come back for 30 days routine. But I’d obviously prefer some nice person OK’ing my visa, and know it ain’t gonna happen in Hong Kong![/quote]

I’m not saying it’s a myth, but between 1999 and 2003 I applied 5 times a 60 days visitor visa with extensions in HK, and I never got any problems for getting it. (the first time they even helped me to write the visa form :wink: )

Maybe to arrive at the visa office with a big smile help a lot? :laughing:

Well, last time I went to Hong Kong, I smiled so much my face hurt, and they still gave me the third degree, told me I’d already studied long enough (at that time barely over a year), kept quizzing me about my money even though I provided full documentation of my bank account in America AND my Taiwan back, even asked me why I didn’t go to the Mainland to study! I’m always extremely polite, even if people are rude to me first. It was touch and go whether they’d issue the visa, but they finally did. I don’t want to chance it again.