Studio Classroom schools

I’ve often wondered why - given the good reputation and enormous popularity that the Studio Classroom magazine enjoys - they haven’t opened a chain of schools under the “Studio Classroom” name which would use their magazines (Let’s Talk in English, Studio Classroom, Advanced). Seems like a license to print money to me. Any ideas why they haven’t?

My theory is that the reason they can employ so many foreigners is that they are listed as a missionary enterprise, not a school. I am sure they get some great tax breaks too, as a “religious organization.”

As their broadcasts and material all have to do with Christian this and that, they can always say, “We’re not teaching, we’re preaching the gospel”. If they opened classrooms, they probably wouldn’t be able to get licenses, unless of course they could disguise them as “mini-missionary centers.” I don’t see why they don’t do it. Hell, they’ve got an official Studio Classroom store. Next they’ll open StudioClassroomLand, featuring that hair-raising roller-coaster ride, “The Bible Thumper.” Doris Brougham wouldn’t have to ever worry about American Club bills for the rest of her life!

I wonder if any bushiban owners think it is unfair that they are allowed to hire so many whities under the pretense of it being a missionary? (And notice the only foreign hires ARE whities?)

You must be reading different Studio Classroom material than me. One of the schools I work at has me teaching a class using it and I’ve never seen one reference to the Bible or Christianity in any of their magazines. It’s all generic rated-PG sitcom material. They get tax breaks as a “religious” organization? Sure sounds like a scam to me.

Flicka, Studio Classroom employees ABCs, too.

They’d turn people off pretty quick if they came on too strong with the Christianity bit. There’s always an ad or two in there about Bible classes, at least there used to be.

Isn’t it subliminal though? I think someone wrote before all the names in their material are from the Bible. The teaching material itself seems pretty well put together, if not a little sappy.

Is this the program I’ve seen on Good TV?

Flicka, Studio Classroom employees ABCs, too.[/quote]

Yes, you are right. I totally forgot. I also forgot that I was once an extra for one of their shows once. Oh the horror.

[quote=“Flicka”]
I think someone wrote before all the names in their material are from the Bible…[/quote]

Jamie, Jackie, Nancy, Albert, Anna, Sierra, Brian, Ellen, Sheri, Alex, Elise, Diane, Erin…I don’t remember any of those names from the Bible.

(no, I’m not some freak who’s memorized all the names of the characters in Let’s Talk About English. I went to the “Who’s Who” section of their website)

Wasn’t that Doris woman who has been here since CKS days honored with one of the first APRCs that were doled out to ‘missionaries’?

[quote=“mod lang”][quote=“Flicka”]
I think someone wrote before all the names in their material are from the Bible…[/quote]

Jamie, Jackie, Nancy, Albert, Anna, Sierra, Brian, Ellen, Sheri, Alex, Elise, Diane, Erin…I don’t remember any of those names from the Bible.

(no, I’m not some freak who’s memorized all the names of the characters in Let’s Talk About English. I went to the “Who’s Who” section of their website)
[/quote]

I just had a look through their site, and you are right. I’ll have to re-research what I read here before.

Other interesting things I found from poking around the site:

• I was able to verify Studio Classroom is a non-profit, owned by ORTV, “a leading pioneer in Chinese media ministry”.

*Doris Brougham, the founder of ORTV, played trumpet at Chiang Kai-shek’s funeral.

*Doris Brougham was also good friends with Madame Chiang. In fact, according to the site, ORTV’s Heavenly Melody show was one of Chiang’s favorite shows, and when Taiwan’s ONLY TV channel at the time was going to pull the plug on it, Chiang stepped in to keep it from being cancelled.

I think I’ve found an answer to my own question. Studio Classroom doesn’t need to bother with opening schools. They are making enough money already because they seem to be required reading in most junior and senior high schools. That’s a nice captive audience.

I have been a faithful audience since I was in senior high school. Now I am 29. I appreciate it very much because it offers outstanding English programs. However, I entirely believe Flicka. I sense that all programs are censored to accord with Christianity. If you listen to their radio program, you will know the panel never stop preaching the gospel.

It is harmful for a person to develop analytical thinking and its contents are too CLEAN. But it is worth reading only if you are not brainwashed.

Guess nothing is prefect. For me I’m still using it.