Studs Terkel : Conversations with America

Something led me to this site today and I thought I’d share it with you all. I’ve read several of Studs’ books and enjoyed them all. Lots of audio downloads about race, WWII, the depression, nuclear war, and others…

[quote]Studs Terkel : Conversations with America
Studs Terkel’s multifaceted life has produced an equally rich and varied legacy of research materials. After graduating from University of Chicago’s Law School in 1934, Terkel pursued acting and appeared on stage, in radio, and in the movies. He has been a playwright, a radio news commentator, a sportscaster, and a film narrator, and has worked as a jazz columnist, a disc jockey, and a music festival host. He even served briefly as a civil service employee but is best known as a radio network personality and as a Pulitzer Prize-winning author of books.

His award winning books are based on his extensive conversations with Americans from all walks of life that chronicle the profound and often tumultuous changes in our nation during the twentieth century. [/quote]

studsterkel.org/introduction.php

Thanks for ths link JD.
Pretty good stuff. Enjoyed listening to it.

[quote=“bobl”]Thanks for ths link JD.
Pretty good stuff. Enjoyed listening to it.[/quote]

My pleasure. I’m glad someone got something from it. :slight_smile:

Studs is an American icon…too bad most people don’t know who the hell he is.

People tend to wonder where are all the American heroes these days…where have they gone? Just read/listen to the people Studs talks to and you find that there are many of them, and the funny thing is…they’re mostly normal folk like you and me (well, me maybe, you I don’t know so well… :wink: )

Peace

Studs Terkel, Yes! Great clips. Thanks!

One of the fathers of non-fiction journalism.

First read “Giants of Jazz” because I was interested in the music and discovered a really rare writer who doesn’t let his ego or perspective cloud the issues. Then read “Race” a few years back and passed it on to an Irish couple that was a bit apprehensive about their permanent move to NY. We kept in touch for a while and they were very appreciative of the book and what it had to “teach.”

Finishing up “Hard Times” right now and hope to read a lot more of his books.

Really? I thought this fellow was really famous – didn’t he gat the Pulitzer or something? I used to listen to him on BBC radio. Fantastic stuff that really gives a human touch to history. Thanks for the link.

Really? I thought this fellow was really famous – didn’t he get the Pulitzer or something? I used to listen to him on BBC radio. Fantastic stuff that really gives a human touch to history. Thanks for the link.[/quote]

I guess I meant the unwashed masses of non-literate slobs. :wink: Oh which you are obviously NOT. :sunglasses:

Wookie, I have one of two of his books around. I’ll see if I can dig them out for you if you’d like.

I really liked “The Good War” - I thought it was one of the best and most balanced “verbal” history of WWII

Anyone read Hope Dies Last? That was actually one my favorites, Studs you unabashed liberal you.

yes, it was good. but yes…very liberal…

he gets real people. real smart people