Study chinese in Taiwan

Hi guys :slight_smile: ,

I’m an italian boy and as I love asian culture and languages, I’m studying chinese at university. I’m new here and I’m planning about going to study chinese in this wonderful island called Taiwan; as it’s the first experience of this kind for me I’m trying to take information from people whom had had experences before me.
I have some friends in Kaohsiung and I really wish to go study there; basing on some reseraches, I’ve found above(I think) all three universities that offers chinese language courses for foreingers:

• National Sun Yat-Sen University
  • Wenzao Ursuline College of Languages
  • National Kaohsiung Normal University

Are these the only universities i can relay on? Did someone already went in one of these, or can give me some help in choosing the best?
Now a days I know practically nothing about how could I inscribe myself at the college, about payment manner, if the college offers dormy or not and so on… if someone could give me some elucidations I’ll be very thankfull. :help:
Another thing is that I want to go to Kaohsiung because I know someone there, but I don’t know if it’ll be the right choice; maybe Taipei could offer more opportunities as for studying centers and as for living. What do you think about?

Really thank you all and sorry about soo many questions :slight_smile:

Hi,
If you search the archives for the names of your schools, I believe you will find a lot of opinions about each one. Or, another thing you could try (it might be easier) is to just browse through the “Learning Chinese” forum going backwards. Opinions or advice about Chinese schools are probably the most frequent question we get here, so there are definitely many opinions already on the board.

Another thing – there has recently been a change in which schools can qualify to extend your visa in Taiwan, so be sure that the school you pick can do this (if you need it).

I’m sure you’ll have a great time in Taiwan whether you choose Kaohsiung or Taipei. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. I can’t say much about Kaohsiung as I always lived in Taipei (so I am very prejudiced! :smiley: )