Study Chinese on a tourist Visa

I’m tired off my job and was kind of happy when I recived the note that they will not sign a new contract with me when the old one exspire january 23 because off comunication dificultis :s

Seams there is no problem geting a new job in Taiwan until they find out I do not master Chinese.

My plan now is to go to hong kong and get a turist visa and come back to buy myself more time to find a new job. While looking for a new job I would like to atend Chinese classes to increase my chances.

I picked up a litle chinese while I’m here, but not enough to have a conversation unless you meant talking about shaging girls with the guys in the factory :wink:

So how, when and where can I study chinese on a turist visa?

[quote=“Stian”]I’m tired off my job and was kind of happy when I recived the note that they will not sign a new contract with me when the old one exspire january 23 because off comunication dificultis :s

Seams there is no problem geting a new job in Taiwan until they find out I do not master Chinese.

My plan now is to go to hong kong and get a turist visa and come back to buy myself more time to find a new job. While looking for a new job I would like to atend Chinese classes to increase my chances.

I picked up a litle chinese while I’m here, but not enough to have a conversation unless you meant talking about shaging girls with the guys in the factory :wink:

[color=darkred]So how, when and where can I study chinese on a turist visa?[/color][/quote]

ummm, anywhere you want.

If you want the school to sposnsor your visa though, you need to find a university language program and get signed up before you apply for your visa. If you just plan on being here for 2 months you can just stay on your tourist visa and go to any school you want.

My gf say I have to have a student visa to study chinese and that the schools she talked too require that.

I think that sound exstremly strange like there would be a place in Taiwan don’t wanting a forigners money.

Would be glad if annyone could sugest a place in San Chong or near the Taipei Main Station.

No, that’s just totally wrong. You can take language classes anywhere, including MOE-approved universities, on any visa you like. But if you want to extend your tourist visa or get a resident visa on the basis of being a student, well, that’s different.

And I think that’s the crunch. Your tourist visa will be for 60 days (at best! It might be 30). You can’t extend it without a valid reason, which you won’t have.

You want to study Chinese while you look for a job to improve your chances of finding said job. But how much Chinese are you going to be able to learn in 60 days, in between job hunting? My guess is, not enough to make a difference.

You could, however, enrol at an approved university, get a “tourist visa for the purpose of study” in Hong Kong, and then (assuming good attendance at uni) extend your visa for up to 180 days or apply for a study-based resident visa (and ARC). You wouldn’t be legally able to get a job while studying, but so far as I know there’d be no problem with applying for jobs, and then leaving and coming back on a new visa once you got one.

There is no such visa category as “tourist visa.” You mean “visitor visa for the purpose of study.”

There is no such visa category as “tourist visa.” You mean “visitor visa for the purpose of study.”[/quote]

I don’t nead a visa at all to enter Taiwan. I only have to leave when my recident visa exspire and I can come back without visa as long as I’m staying less than 30days and I have a return ticket.

Thats ok by me since my gf is going to work in Thailand during cinese new year and the language schools are closed during Chinese new year so I can have a nice vecation there for a week :slight_smile:

Planing to apply for a visitors visa for 60days there befour I return to Taiwan.

2 hour studdy a day and then I can do whatever I want. I think I might start to like living in Taiwan again :sunglasses:

Follow up question on this, as I’m in a similar situation, as I’m not too happy with the job I’ve got here and I was let down in many ways in terms of my role here and what the company was going to do.
Anyhow, I currently have an ARC, can this be transferred into a student ARC rather than a working ARC? Or how does that work?
The thing is I will be doing some work for a foregin company on the side, but I want to stay in Taiwan and learn Chinese among many things.
Any ideas?