Study in NTNU without scholarship. Possible?

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and actually I created an account just for this post.

I am currently in the last year of my high school in Switzerland and I intend to go to Taiwan in autumn 2015 to attend the NTNU Mandarin Training Center to study Chinese for 1 year (after that I might return to Switzerland or continue my studies there).

Now, I have a problem with that. I will get my high school diploma on 1. July 2015 and I want to go to Taiwan in autumn 2015 already (in order not to waste time).

I am wondering, how to finance this year in Taiwan. I will get 1000 CHF per month (= 31 861 Taiwan Dollar) each month by my parents. That would be enough for the living costs, but NOT for the tuition fees and the flights and so on… :frowning:
I have checked the Huayu Enrichment scholarship, but the problem is that the application deadline is set on 31. May. But that time, I don’t have my high school diploma! I wrote them an E-Mail and asked, whether I could apply anyway and send them my diploma a month later. But unfortunately they said it’s not possible!

Now I wanted to ask you guys, if you see any other chance to get money? As I understood, I couldn’t work while I study in Taiwan…
Do you have an idea? And please don’t answer that I should just wait another year, because I don’t want to loose time :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance!

Ps: I have learned chinese before and got the HSK 3 last year (just if it’s important that I’m not a complete beginner…)

Get a part-time job and start saving up, right now. If you are determined to do this, you have to be able to sacrifice some of your social life to work. Now, that’s not everyone’s ideal plan their last year of high school, but just my suggestion.

However, before you start searching for a part-time job. I would suggest figuring out the application process first. If there’s no possible loop hole around a late application, than there’s not much you can do is there? I know you didn’t want to hear “wait a year”, but if you do not meet the requirements, there’s not much you can do, is there? If you can’t apply for the fall 2015 session, can’t you apply for spring 2016? I’m not sure how the curriculum there works, but I know that their programs go for 2-3 months at a time. If you really can’t apply at your preferred time, look on the bright side, you have more time to save up on tuition and the plane ticket after you’ve found a job.

I’m not sure how NTNU works, but I know from a few NTU students that depending on how well you do on your entrance exam, that they adjust your scholarship based on that. Do not quote me on that though, it’s what I over heard during casual conversation. Have you tried speaking to your cultural office in Switzerland if they offer an scholarship for someone traveling abroad?

I can also suggest, applying/going to university for a semester and maybe they will offer you a scholarship on top of NTNU scholarship that can help with tuition costs.

Good luck with your decision. I hope I was helpful.

Thank you for your answer.

I forgot to mention that I worked in a part-time job for 4 months and I saved 2000 CHF (=63’750 Taiwan Dollar). That would be enough for the flight and the first semester. But now the examonations begin and I won’t have time to work beside school anymore.

Yes, actually NTNU provides a special scholarship, which you can only get if you have studied there for at least 1 semester. You need to have grades above 90 (I dont really know how Taiwanese grades work, I assume 100 is the maximum?) and there are only 20 scholarships each term. (http://140.122.110.12/mtcweb/files/Guidelines%20for%20the%202014%20MTC%20National%20Scholarship_English(2).pdf)

I would definetly give it a try, but I can’t count on getting such a scholarship…

I have first-hand experience with NTNU and I can tell you it’s terribly overrated, and also overpriced. If you want an organized class in Taipei why not go for something like the nearby Wenhua University mlc.sce.pccu.edu.tw/ which is just as good (or just as bad if you would) but some $10,000 less per month? You could also try one of the places down south, where life is much cheaper and also the weather much more pleasant: one such place you could consider would be Wenzao in Gaoxiong.

Since you’re at the intermediate level, I’d venture a guess you’ll probably be learning most through immersion and exposure. If I were you I’d just get a private tutor, otherwise in a class setting you’ll be doing a lot of things that are not conducive to actual learning. The educational environment is one of the worst aspects of this society and you’d be paying through the roof volunteering yourself into this frustrating experience.

The biggest advantage of NTNU and other government-mandated programs is that they give you an ARC (residence card) after 6 months but the relative value of this factor has diminished now that Europeans are allowed 90-day visa-free stay. So, if you go for the private tutor route just don’t bother with any visas and do a trip out of Taiwan once in a while: there are a few destinations with low-cost flights to choose from, notably Manila and Kuala Lumpur. As a plus, you will not need to deal with visa extensions and the associated attendance-checking bullshit (government programs are mandated to have at least 15h/week but they give you just 10h/week of real classes and fill up the rest of the curriculum with mostly boring “large-group classes” which you need to spend time in just to have your attendance card stamped for visa extension).

From my experience, learning Chinese on a $30,000/month budget is totally doable if you go for the Wenhua in Taipei. If in the middle of your year-long stay you come to the conclusion that you’re burning too much money, just move down south for further savings. Conveniently, this will also allow you to avoid the dull weather period in Taipei (something like mid-November to mid-March).

By the way, you should be able to get a flight out of Europe for something in the range of $25,000-$30,000, so it’s not really that much of an expense either. You’ll need to bring much more cash upfront though for rental deposit.

Don’t you have any Mandarin training center in Switzerland, or say, other parts of Europe? I mean, it’s kinda troublesome to come all the way here just to learn Mandarin.

What about exchanging? After you go to college you might be able to exchange to Taiwan?

Actually I chose NTNU, because I heard and read that it is the best long term Chinese program in Taiwan. But of course I appreciate your opinion! It really doesn’t sound too good from your point of view :s

I have checked the Wenhua uni’s website and it’s really an option!

How much would that cost for how many hours of lessons a week?

But then I would need to flight 4 times to Manila or Kuala Lumpur in 1 year :s It’s quite troublesome, isn’t it?

[quote=“Gain”]Don’t you have any Mandarin training center in Switzerland, or say, other parts of Europe? I mean, it’s kinda troublesome to come all the way here just to learn Mandarin.

What about exchanging? After you go to college you might be able to exchange to Taiwan?[/quote]

We have, but I think I could make more progress if I am surrounded by Chinese speaking persons. Also, I am interested in Taiwan and it’s culture!
I have been in Mainland China several times, so I’m really curious about Taiwan and I would like to learn Chinese before starting my actual studies in Switzerland (or elsewhere).

I’ve done 6 quarters at the NTNU MTC: the first two when I was an exchange student, and then, quote unquote:

so I’ve been there, done that. :slight_smile: Then I came back on Taiwan Scholarship, which meant I was restricted to government-mandated programs and I stepped in the same Shida again because I thought (a) this is where the most motivated people went and (b) I would have a wider selection of more advanced classes, which would benefit me. Only later did I realize how wrong I was, i.e. (i) I was learning the most on my own, (ii) the more advanced class was still a time-waster (although in the following quarters I switched to better teachers), (iii) apparently the most motivated students of Chinese are South East Asian people (such as Vietnamese), who are discouraged by the high tuition at the NTNU MTC and go to other places (such as Wenhua).

Digression, and excuse the blatant generalization: in studying with “non-Western” people, there’s also the benefit (to you) that their English is generally more limited so there’s no option other than to communicate in Chinese, even during breaks. They need to learn the language because they’re staying in Taiwan, not going anywhere, and they’re putting a lot of their own money towards it. The NTNU crowd, on the other hand, are mostly Europeans and Americans (“ABCs,” etc.) who will be leaving Taiwan eventually and thus have less pressure to learn the language: their stay in Taiwan is more vacation-like and they want to have some fun as well (not that there’s anything wrong with it). Also, for most European or American people who make it to Taiwan, $30,000 per quarter is hardly a lot of money, so there isn’t so much financial pressure either.

Back to the NTNU, it can be reasonable if you get a good teacher, but these are few and far in between. From the rest, you need to run, and I mean RUN. There’s a limited timeframe to change classes and the best-informed can push their luck but eventually many people stay with the mediocre teachers just because all the good groups they could have moved to have filled up.

Then there’re the 5 ass-hours a week you need to spend doing time in “large-group classes,” which are by and large a collective exercise in wasting time (more precisely, there will be 1-2 somewhat interesting “large-group classes” every quarter but it’s likely they either collide with your regular classes or add up to less than 5 hours per week and then you still need to attend some of the rest, which are crap). Of course, to mitigate this problem you can take “culture classes,” which are likely better, or go for an “intensive” course which meets the 15 hours/week requirement but this is all extra tuition (the first two quarters I did were actually intensive and I recommend it for beginners, the group goes much faster because the “intensive” label and higher price tag weed out the unmotivated people; thing is, above a certain level there aren’t really enough people to sign up for an intensive class anymore).

I don’t have first-hand experience with Wenhua and wouldn’t expect it to be some sort of paradise. On the contrary, knowing what I know about the educational system here, I guess it suffers from exactly the same problems as Shida but hopefully at least the toilets are cleaner because it’s in a newer building.

I was actually considering switching to Wenhua from Shida in the middle of my Taiwan Scholarship program but I reluctantly stayed as it would have been a bureaucratic nightmare to abandon ship (as foreign student in Taiwan you’re bound to your place of study very much like a mediaeval serf to his feudal lord).

How much would that cost for how many hours of lessons a week?[/quote]
I’ve no idea, as I’ve never really had this option. Perhaps other people can shed some light? Taiwan’s famous for cheap labor though, so a more appropriate question to ask would be: “how to find a quality tutor?” Not that I know the answer to this one either. :slight_smile:

My mindset was that I actually wanted to see all these places and took it as an opportunity. If you have zero interest in the region, an airfare to Manila can be less than $1000 one way, and the flight is less than 2 hours, so I would say it beats queueing up in the Immigration Agency. :slight_smile:

Even if you register at Shida, all you’ll get is a 60-day visitor visa, which you need to extend, twice. Then, you can convert it to a residence permit (ARC), hopefully valid until the end of your stay but possibly expiring on the last day of your classes. That adds up to at least 4 visits to the Immigration Agency, each time with a lot of supporting documents, such as transcripts, attendance records, etc., with the possibility that you still need to do a visa run towards the end of your year of studying if you wanted to stay a little longer to do some sightseeing, etc. Also, extensions are free (just cumbersome) but visas and ARCs are not.

[quote=“loqo19”]I think I could make more progress if I am surrounded by Chinese speaking persons. […]
I have been in Mainland China several times, so I’m really curious about Taiwan […].[/quote]
I think it’s a good idea to come here, you’ll be learning much faster. Not necessarily in class though. Since you’ve already been to China, Taiwan seems like an obvious choice (if this were your first trip you could debate the pros and cons of starting to learn Chinese in either of the two places).

I would just point out that despite its many deficiencies, most foreigners regardless of nationality who study at Shida (NTNU MTC) for a year or so usually end up learning Chinese. Most people who study on their own just don’t have the discipline.

Most of the learning, though, is done outside the classroom, IMHO. This is something our young OP needs to know. Lots of self discipline, lots of language exchange and stuff. Work makes it a lot harder, though it gives context and real life practice. But seriously, don’t expect too much from 50 year old books in obsolete teaching methods. People learn the way one learns to swim if thrown in the middle of the ocean. That is why it is called immersion.

If you are serious about this, first of all, 30K is enough for living expenses. I second the work and save for a year at least, tuition costs mostly.

Second, MTC is overrated. They use the same books every where. You’ll do better in a place with a different attitude.

Serious students go for the special NTU ICLP program. yes, it is costly. Very costly. But beats wasting time and money and no results.

I have to strongly agree on this above statement. I have friended many of these NTNU and NTU students that come for the Chinese program to learn Chinese, take in some Taiwanese culture, and maybe do some traveling around Asia if they have the funds. Other than class, I don’t see them use mandarin very often.

30,000NTD per quarter, I assume that’s about 2-2.5 months long, may not be enough. If it’s 30,000NTD per month, than you should be fine.

My mindset was that I actually wanted to see all these places and took it as an opportunity. If you have zero interest in the region, an airfare to Manila can be less than $1000 one way, and the flight is less than 2 hours, so I would say it beats queueing up in the Immigration Agency. :slight_smile:

Even if you register at Shi-Da, all you’ll get is a 60-day visitor visa, which you need to extend, twice. Then, you can convert it to a residence permit (ARC), hopefully valid until the end of your stay but possibly expiring on the last day of your classes. That adds up to at least 4 visits to the Immigration Agency, each time with a lot of supporting documents, such as transcripts, attendance records, etc., with the possibility that you still need to do a visa run towards the end of your year of studying if you wanted to stay a little longer to do some sightseeing, etc. Also, extensions are free (just cumbersome) but visas and ARCs are not. [/quote]

I think if OP is concerned about monthly costs, he’s not going to be able to afford plane tickets. Manila or Kuala Lumpur is much farther than Hong Kong. I can’t say much about the cost of a ticket to Manila/Kuala Lumpur, but based on distance, Hong Kong is closer (thus cheaper?). You can hop on a flight for 4000-5000NTD(including tax) during off season if you needed to do a visa run.

[quote=“loqo19”]I think I could make more progress if I am surrounded by Chinese speaking persons. […]
I have been in Mainland China several times, so I’m really curious about Taiwan […].[/quote]
I think it’s a good idea to come here, you’ll be learning much faster. Not necessarily in class though. Since you’ve already been to China, Taiwan seems like an obvious choice (if this were your first trip you could debate the pros and cons of starting to learn Chinese in either of the two places).[/quote]

Doraemonster has it all down to the T, if you’re in these Mandarin learning programs, you are studying with other foreigners, where other than conversing with the teacher and your oral exams, you’re speaking English. Also, keep in mind that Taipei is not a hard place to get around by only knowing 5-10 sayings in Mandarin. There’s an abundance of locals that have studied overseas that have a good command of English. If you’re ever in the situation where you’re struggling to get your message across to a non-English speaking local, there’s bound to be someone that overhears you and jumps in to help.

Like Doreamonster suggests, going south is an option you should consider. The south is a much more of a challenge since less people speak English outside of Taipei. I’ve responded to a few of these, “I’m coming to Taiwan to study Mandarin” threads, and my response is always (or something along the lines of), you have to get out of your English speaking comfort zone and immense yourself with locals. By doing this, you are taking what you are learning in class and using it outside of class. Also, vice versa, taking what you learn outside of class and using it in class.

Now there’s nothing wrong with making friends with your fellow foreigners/classmates, since I will never say no to networking yourself, you never know when you might need their help!

Good luck!

30,000NTD per quarter, I assume that’s about 2-2.5 months long, may not be enough. If it’s 30,000NTD per month, than you should be fine.[/quote]
Yeah, what I meant was just the tuition part. Living expenses will be on top of this: budget roughly $10,000 for accommodation and another $10,000 for all the other expenses per month. With the accommodation you can go down to about $7,000 per month but don’t bet on it. Also, taking public transport to classes on a daily basis will add up to an extra $1,000-$2,000 monthly, so there’s an advantage to living within walking distance to where you study.

One more option for the OP to consider is to get into a degree program, which gives the right to stay in a university’s dormitory. These are priced very inexpensively in the range of a few thousand TWD per semester: they’re also fairly basic though (think shared bathrooms, etc.). The tuition would probably add up to about the same or even slightly less than at Shida.

First of all: Thank you all for your personal experience and help!

OK, I sum up: NTNU MTC is generally overrated and nor really worth it’s high price. If I want to go to Taipei I should consider attending another, cheaper Universities such as Wenhua Uni or I should consider taking private lessons. Besides, I should try to comunicate as much as possible with the locals, using Chinese (which will be easier in a not-so-international city as Taipei)

Another option is - as you mentioned - to go to another city in the south, such as Gaoxiong. Actually I checked the Sun Yat-Sen’s Uni program before and beside that the tuition fee is slightly cheaper, they offer a cheap dorm room (and also the apartment rents are cheaper). The only disadvantage in going to Gaoxiong instead of Taipei is (for me) that the air pollution in Gaoxiong is worse than in Taipei (as I read online, maybe you have made different experiences?). Also, if I decide to stay in Taiwan for my studies after that year, I would probably end up in Taipei, because they offer the most English-taught undergraduate programs. So I kind of feel like I should go to Taipei straight away to know the city and see if I like it. :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s what I’d do given my knowledge of Shida. Here’s a list of all university-affiliated language centers: 我國各大學校院附設華語文教學中心一覽表.

Other information here seems to suggest they’re now allowing some private competition too: 核准境外招生華語文研習機構.

Not sure how this plays out because the private cram-school industry here is notorious for failing to teach people English properly but at least they’re customer-oriented whereas at a government-run university you’re generally a nuisance to staff and the treatment you’re being given more often than not reflects that perception.

It depends on how strongly motivated you are. Most people find it easier to study regularly if they’re forced to do so. :slight_smile: You can start with an organized class at one of the language centers and see how it goes from there while also being aware you have the option of going private. Also, few people here know pinyin (even if they say they do - and that includes teachers at Shida) so it’s best if you’re past the stage when you rely on it before finding a private tutor.

The pollution is terrible everywhere. Here’s the website where you can see the extent of it: aqicn.org/map/taiwan/ Mind you these are government-provided data (for Taiwan) and apparently there’s some massaging of numbers going on (an article linked somewhere on Forumosa describes the exact way it’s done). In the short-run you’ll be fine with the air though, just keep checking the indices and avoid staying outside when it gets really bad (a few times a year).

Water is supposed to be better in Taipei, although it’s not exactly fantastic either. Food contamination is what you probably should be most concerned about, which is another story though.

It’s not that Taipei is so international either - except a few places including, ironically, the area around Shida. The extent to which Taipei is more “westernized” is that it has sidewalks along the main streets (albeit narrow) and traffic lights for pedestrians (although generally not observed by motorists). There’s also a crapload of overpriced faux foreign eateries and wannabe posh bars where they serve beer with ice cubes.

What is important to note is that only Taipei, Gaoxiong and to some extent Taizhong have working public transport. In more rural places it might be a lot of fun to ride a scooter though (not so much in a big city). Out of Taipei, Taiwan is more rough around the edges but also more authentic. You might like it or hate it. If you have doubts, go to Taipei first.

In any case, people will try to chat you up in English everywhere - sometimes for their own selfish reasons. :slight_smile: If you want to learn, be persistent in answering in Chinese.

I don’t think it’s exactly a good idea to study anything besides Chinese here, so I’d think it over first if I were you - you’ll have the time anyway. In any case, it’s not like living in another city should stop you from making a trip to the capital. Only getting to the East Coast (Hualian and especially Taidong) can be more problematic but along the West Coast, the high-speed rail goes from Gaoxiong to Taipei in an hour and a half, although it’s not cheap. For someone on a budget, there’s a bus that I think takes about 4.5 hours and costs in the range of $200-$300 and you can stay in a love hotel in Ximending for a couple of hundred TWD a day.

Thank you for the list!

[quote=“Doraemonster”]
It depends on how strongly motivated you are. Most people find it easier to study regularly if they’re forced to do so. :slight_smile: [/quote]

That is definetly the case with me :blush: :slight_smile:

I didn’t know that either, thank you for this important info!

Why not? I even read that some foreigners were able to study some subjects in Chinese after they learned Chinese for 2 years. And at least NTU is ranked quite high in the international univesity ranking, isn’t it? Anyway, my original plan is to return to Switzerland after 1 year to study Economy and Chinese in Zurich. That’s why I want to go to Taiwan before that; I might have a big advantage in Chinese.

Beer with ice cubes… :laughing: Hilarious :slight_smile:

[quote=“loqo19”]First of all: Thank you all for your personal experience and help!

OK, I sum up: NTNU MTC is generally overrated and nor really worth it’s high price. If I want to go to Taipei I should consider attending another, cheaper Universities such as Wenhua Uni or I should consider taking private lessons. Besides, I should try to comunicate as much as possible with the locals, using Chinese (which will be easier in a not-so-international city as Taipei)

Another option is - as you mentioned - to go to another city in the south, such as Gaoxiong. Actually I checked the Sun Yat-Sen’s Uni program before and beside that the tuition fee is slightly cheaper, they offer a cheap dorm room (and also the apartment rents are cheaper). The only disadvantage in going to Gaoxiong instead of Taipei is (for me) that the air pollution in Gaoxiong is worse than in Taipei (as I read online, maybe you have made different experiences?). Also, if I decide to stay in Taiwan for my studies after that year, I would probably end up in Taipei, because they offer the most English-taught undergraduate programs. So I kind of feel like I should go to Taipei straight away to know the city and see if I like it. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Sun Yat-sen and several other universities down South also have comprehensive English taught programs. However, at undergraduate level, only a handful -maybe 2 or 3- in all the island. Do find out before well -not “I suppose so”, since Taichung, Tainan and Kaohsiung are cities as big and complex as Taipei- before you make the decision, and not all universities are honest about what percentage of courses are taught in English.

Air pollution used to be much worse in Kaohsiung. As most of it comes from China though, all the island is exposed. For really clean air, try Tzu Chi University in Hualien.

I know, I’m one of them. It’s doable, but most likely you have better options: either study in Europe, where the standards are excellent and tuition is very low or even waived for EU citizens (I imagine it’s the same for Swiss nationals), so you’re getting a very good deal, or if you’re more loaded and feeling adventurous, go to the US where it can be even nicer in many aspects (campus life, etc.) but with a price tag.

Yeah, somewhere near the bottom of the first hundred. These rankings, if anything, reflect their research strength across all disciplines, and they’ve also learned how to game the system a bit without addressing any of their actual weaknesses, which are numerous. In any case, research quality is perpendicular to education quality, even if the two activities happen to be going on under the same roof or on the same campus. If you go for a European or US university, even ranked lower than NTU, you’ll still have a much better overall experience. You’ll also not miss on the student life which is important too.

There are some great NTU alumni who get into the best graduate schools and you can definitely learn a lot if you want to but overall the experience will be bland and dull. Now if you come from another part of the world where university education is even worse and you would need to pay through the roof to study in the EU, which you can’t afford, then it might still make sense to consider Taiwan. There’s a considerable group of such people here, and they constitute the majority of foreign non-exchange students. Fortunately, that’s not your situation though.

So, study in Europe or in the US and just do an exchange semester here or somewhere else in Asia, this much you’ll enjoy. If you really wanted to do a degree program here, choose something along the lines of engineering (as there is an industry base) or life sciences (in which they seem to put a lot of resources, although we’ve yet to see any results). Social sciences are abysmal, partly due to the baggage from the pre-democracy period. Most importantly, studying anything in English will be farçical because there just isn’t enough proficiency and/or volition among the students and instructors to persist in using the language. Eventually everything will switch back into Chinese (unless there’s really a lot of foreign students but there’s only a couple of such programs and if I’m not mistaken, all of them are graduate-level).

[quote=“loqo19”]First of all: Thank you all for your personal experience and help!

Another option is - as you mentioned - to go to another city in the south, such as Gaoxiong. Actually I checked the Sun Yat-Sen’s Uni program before and beside that the tuition fee is slightly cheaper, they offer a cheap dorm room (and also the apartment rents are cheaper). The only disadvantage in going to Gaoxiong instead of Taipei is (for me) that the air pollution in Gaoxiong is worse than in Taipei (as I read online, maybe you have made different experiences?). Also, if I decide to stay in Taiwan for my studies after that year, I would probably end up in Taipei, because they offer the most English-taught undergraduate programs. So I kind of feel like I should go to Taipei straight away to know the city and see if I like it. :slight_smile:[/quote]
Why not try NTU? I’m not trying to brag my own school but the exchange students that come over here usually think highly of the language courses here.

NTU has two Chinese-language programs: ICLP and CLD. ICLP is the “famous” one, and CLD is the other. :slight_smile:

As for the ICLP, I have no experience with it, neither do I know anyone who has. Rumor has it it’s amazing, and for the price somewhere north of $100,000 per quarter it’d better be, but I still wouldn’t pay this much for any program here, even if it came with a complimentary happy ending.

Regarding the CLD, their program is 15 hours per week, and is similarly priced to Shida’s intensive classes, which means it’s more expensive than Shida’s regular classes. They have much fewer students (~150 vs. ~1000 at Shida I think), and most of them are beginners, which means there’s less choice of classes once you get to more advanced levels.

CLD might actually be good value compared to Shida’s intensive classes, especially if you’re not “too” advanced, although my impression was that they’re even more disorganized than Shida, where the bureaucracy seems to be more efficient as long as you don’t stray from the herd. (Mind you, I only took a complimentary class for exchange students there so my experience with the CLD is limited.)

In any case, unless something has changed (and please do check my facts, I’m only writing from memory), either of these options is even more expensive than the regular Shida, so I don’t really think that’s what the OP is looking for. Within Taipei, you can also check out Zhengda (NCCU), arguably in a nicer area to live in.

By the way, I’ve also dug out this thread from the archive, and it has some useful information:
Bad Quality of the Universities in Taiwan?

NTU has two Chinese-language programs: ICLP and CLD. ICLP is the “famous” one, and CLD is the other. :slight_smile:

As for the ICLP, I have no experience with it, neither do I know anyone who has. Rumor has it it’s amazing, and for the price somewhere north of $100,000 per quarter it’d better be, but I still wouldn’t pay this much for any program here, even if it came with a complimentary happy ending.
[/quote]
Holy shit that’s expensive :astonished:
I actually had no idea about this, since I don’t attend in either of the programs.

Seems it’s actually more like $125,000. It’d be interesting to know what proportion of students are self-funded (as opposed to some scholarship agency footing their bill).