Studying Chinese in Kaohisung - What do you think about living with three Taiwanese people?

I’m in the middle of a choice here. I’m going to study Chinese at NSYSU (Zhongshan), and up until now I’ve been set on living on the Taiwanese part of the campus, with three other Taiwanese students. Now, since my school won’t answer my emails about housing, I’ve been looking around for alternatives and found a few apartments that seem really nice, that I could live in relatively cheaply and by myself. I’m almost starting to change my mind about living on campus.

The advantages I see with on-campus housing is that it’d be very easy to make contact with the people I lived with, and perhaps they’d introduce me to their friends as well. And if I didn’t make especially good friends with any of them, I’d still be forced to speak Chinese every day outside of class. Another advantage is that it’s closer to what I assume to be where “everything happens” at a university. It would be somewhat cheaper, but cost isn’t really my main concern.

The disadvantages I see are that, from what I’ve heard, living in the same room as three others can be pretty tough, especially for me as a foreigner living with what might be a pretty different kind of people. We’d not only be sharing the same bedroom with each other, but also bathroom and living room with each other and even more people. It sounds like I won’t have a minute to myself.

Not living on campus, to meet people I could and almost certainly will join clubs, so I’m not sure how big of a disadvantage not living with other people to make friends with would be. There are other ways.

What I need now is some others’ experiences with either living on a campus, or outside. And what do you think about the advantages and disadvantages I listed? It would be especially great if someone could tell me what they think about living with three Taiwanese students.

:notworthy:

FWIW, i’ve made good use of the many opportunties i had in life, to live under one roof with people from other cultures, and i have never had a reason to regret what i learned that way. Since you already understand that living with people from another culture won’t always be easy and that you will have to pay in some way for what you get, i see no reason why i should discourage you from trying it. :wink:

Arranging having sex in your own bedroom might be really difficult unless you end getting on really really well with all three of your roomies. That could be quite interesting, though, if it works out for you.

I lived in a four-person dorm room (two bunk beds) with three Taiwanese students in the old Taipei’s International House (formerly on the grounds of Da’an park – no longer exists) for several months when I first was here studying Chinese, and although it may have been beneficial for my Chinese listening comprehension, I was very, very ready to have my own room at the end of that stay and would never consider voluntarily living in that kind of situation again (even though the other guys were all nice and we go along okay).

I suggest looking around at bulletin boards and asking around to see whether you can find your own room in a shared apartment – best of both worlds.

I think this is a really good point. I will probably learn a lot - not just the language - that way.

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]I lived in a four-person dorm room (two bunk beds) with three Taiwanese students in the old Taipei’s International House (formerly on the grounds of Da’an park – no longer exists) for several months when I first was here studying Chinese, and although it may have been beneficial for my Chinese listening comprehension, I was very, very ready to have my own room at the end of that stay and would never consider voluntarily living in that kind of situation again (even though the other guys were all nice and we go along okay).

I suggest looking around at bulletin boards and asking around to see whether you can find your own room in a shared apartment – best of both worlds.[/quote]
How much do you think it helped with your Chinese? Did you talk to them a lot? I’ll be living there for at least a year, probably, so I can imagine it being tough. What I’ve been thinking earlier though, is that if the Taiwanese can do it throughout all of their years at university, why wouldn’t I be able to do just one? Perhaps that’s naive though, thinking that I can go from a pretty high standard of living as I have at home, to living like that. Maybe they’re used to worse than I am.

I’ve actually found a couple of that kind, but want to be sure that my roommate too is a student, and so far I haven’t found anyone that I could be sure was. I’m still not in Taiwan, so I can’t go look either.

Double post.

[quote=“Sko”]How much do you think it helped with your Chinese? Did you talk to them a lot? I’ll be living there for at least a year, probably, so I can imagine it being tough. What I’ve been thinking earlier though, is that if the Taiwanese can do it throughout all of their years at university, why wouldn’t I be able to do just one? Perhaps that’s naive though, thinking that I can go from a pretty high standard of living as I have at home, to living like that. Maybe they’re used to worse than I am.

I’ve actually found a couple of that kind, but want to be sure that my roommate too is a student, and so far I haven’t found anyone that I could be sure was. I’m still not in Taiwan, so I can’t go look either.[/quote]

We didn’t talk a whole lot. They were all college seniors and quite busy, so they were out a lot, as was I, and we kept different schedules. We did talk some on occasional evenings. My mandarin was still at a very low-intermediate level, so I benefited mostly by being on the edge of (listening to) their conversations. But on the whole, I think I probably learned more from the living room conversation (and watching mandarin shows on TV) in a subsequent shared apartment than I did when I stayed in that dorm room. And in the shared apartment I had my own bedroom to retreat to for quiet concentrated study or just plain privacy.

Also, socializing with people other than your roommates is also going to make an important contribution to your language learning, as well as being something important in its own right to the quality of your life (at least to me), and that will be easier to do if you have a place other than a crowded dorm room to bring friends (or dates).

Would it be possible to sign up for the dorm for just one semester first, and then decide whether you like it (and use that time on the ground to look around for better alternatives)?

I would get your own housing.

Unless you are positive that you would never seek out people to talk to, the value of having your own refuge will be enormous. There is no shame in not “going native” and completely giving up your identity and culture as an English speaking person. A second language is just that – a second language. It’s great to take on what you enjoy, but don’t feel obligated to completely become someone else. Having seen the dorms at Fujen, I would never do a shared room (I had a single there which was weird enough.)

Word on the street is that having a Chinese-speaking SO is the most important way to improve – and that’s tough in a room with several roommates… :wink:

[quote=“Rotalsnart”][quote=“Sko”]How much do you think it helped with your Chinese? Did you talk to them a lot? I’ll be living there for at least a year, probably, so I can imagine it being tough. What I’ve been thinking earlier though, is that if the Taiwanese can do it throughout all of their years at university, why wouldn’t I be able to do just one? Perhaps that’s naive though, thinking that I can go from a pretty high standard of living as I have at home, to living like that. Maybe they’re used to worse than I am.

I’ve actually found a couple of that kind, but want to be sure that my roommate too is a student, and so far I haven’t found anyone that I could be sure was. I’m still not in Taiwan, so I can’t go look either.[/quote]

We didn’t talk a whole lot. They were all college seniors and quite busy, so they were out a lot, as was I, and we kept different schedules. We did talk some on occasional evenings. My Mandarin was still at a very low-intermediate level, so I benefited mostly by being on the edge of (listening to) their conversations. But on the whole, I think I probably learned more from the living room conversation (and watching Mandarin shows on TV) in a subsequent shared apartment than I did when I stayed in that dorm room. And in the shared apartment I had my own bedroom to retreat to for quiet concentrated study or just plain privacy.

Also, socializing with people other than your roommates is also going to make an important contribution to your language learning, as well as being something important in its own right to the quality of your life (at least to me), and that will be easier to do if you have a place other than a crowded dorm room to bring friends (or dates).

Would it be possible to sign up for the dorm for just one semester first, and then decide whether you like it (and use that time on the ground to look around for better alternatives)?[/quote]
I think a shared apartment seems like a decent option in between, I might look around for those more.

I’m not sure the school would like me only living there for a semester. A requirement for living in the dorms is studying long-term, at least a year, and I assume that’s because they don’t want to have people moving out after only three months or so. I suppose they can’t force me to stay, but they probably wouldn’t be very happy about it.

[quote=“ironlady”]I would get your own housing.

Unless you are positive that you would never seek out people to talk to, the value of having your own refuge will be enormous. There is no shame in not “going native” and completely giving up your identity and culture as an English speaking person. A second language is just that – a second language. It’s great to take on what you enjoy, but don’t feel obligated to completely become someone else. Having seen the dorms at Fujen, I would never do a shared room (I had a single there which was weird enough.)

Word on the street is that having a Chinese-speaking SO is the most important way to improve – and that’s tough in a room with several roommates… ;-)[/quote]
I’ll probably try to find people at the university’s clubs.

From what Rotalsnart is saying, it sounds like it won’t necessarily be of much value for my Chinese skills to live in a shared room, so instead maybe being able to get friends or a SO coming over would be better. And it does sound more comfortable!

On a slightly unrelated note, I’m going nuts about the school still not answering me after three emails! Going to the embassy tomorrow to get my visa, I’ll to ask them about what I can do about it.

Anyway, all of you guys’ input is very valuable, thank you!

Apparently I also accidentally pressed the quote button when I wanted to press the edit button. :fume:

U can just close the window and no new post…

But OP, how much do you REALLY want to experience the culture here? Yah, sounds great right now. But living with a bunch of Taiwanese people of the same sex, for even a week, in the same room sounds horrid to me. Only so much candy crush, stinky tofu and worthless treats from the remote corners of the island shoved down my throat, plus 90 degree water in the summer could I take.

Just sayin’, get ur own pad dawg.

U can just close the window and no new post…

But OP, how much do you REALLY want to experience the culture here? Yah, sounds great right now. But living with a bunch of Taiwanese people of the same sex, for even a week, in the same room sounds horrid to me. Only so much candy crush, stinky tofu and worthless treats from the remote corners of the island shoved down my throat, plus 90 degree water in the summer could I take.

Just sayin’, get your own pad dawg.[/quote]
Experiencing the culture does sound great, haha, it’s one of the reasons I’m going there. But maybe going all out all at once like that would be tough, so that’s why I’m considering my own place. I just found a place that seems great, so if it’s still available when I call them tomorrow morning I’ll be heavily leaning towards taking it.

There are MONKEYS there ! NO , seriously MONKEYS !!

I’ll be studying at Tzu Chi in Hualien and briefly considered living in a dorm. Besides all the issues already mentioned in this thread, this information from their guidebook definitely turned me off to staying in a dorm:

[ul]In response to environmental protection and to reduce greenhouse effect, dormitories do
not offer air-conditioning
, please support it.[/ul]
Well that, and their rule about no mahjong.

Social activities are the main way I hope to improve my Chinese; I’m hoping other dorm students will appreciate getting off campus and coming to my apartment to indulge in some illicit mahjong games :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”]I’ll be studying at Tzu Chi in Hualian and briefly considered living in a dorm. Besides all the issues already mentioned in this thread, this information from their guidebook definitely turned me off to staying in a dorm:

[ul]In response to environmental protection and to reduce greenhouse effect, dormitories do
Well that, and their rule about no mahjong.

Social activities are the main way I hope to improve my Chinese; I’m hoping other dorm students will appreciate getting off campus and coming to my apartment to indulge in some illicit mahjong games :smiling_imp:[/quote]
I think you’ll be the man if you can provide a place for mahjong, if my Chinese friends are any indication. :bravo:

Luckily, the dorms at NSYSU has air conditioning, albeit for an extra, monthly fee.

I know people who stayed in the Tsu Chi dorms and others who stayed in private apartments near campus (there are fortunately quite a number of such apartments whose owners habitually rent to students).

[quote][ul]In response to environmental protection and to reduce greenhouse effect, dormitories do
Well that, and their rule about no mahjong. [/quote]

Since the campus (and the dorms) are located at the outskirt of Hualien, closer to the mountains, you get much more cloudy weather there than in town (at the coast), and heat (= need for air conditioning) didn’t seem much of an issue to the students living there. Of course, YMWV - most of the students are from "hot " countries (Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, India), and then there are Europeans (who generally are much less used to cold air dispensers than North Americans)…

That could happen… :discodance:

I lived in town, close to my other life and for much cheaper rent, and i cycled to campus every day - hot and healthy… :wink:

I’ve lived in Taiwanese dorms. 90% of my friends are Taiwanese people: Taiwanese roommates/people are just like ones from your home country – you get along well with some and not so well with others. I’ve never had a roommate eat stinky tofu inside rooms and I lived in a place with 8 other roommates for 6 months once. You may not end up learning English from them, as many will see it as an opportunity to practice English. (The racism shown by some poster is horrendous…) If you like basketball that is a great way to make a ton of friends.

This was a great answer, thank you!

They emailed me yesterday and said I can live on campus, I emailed them back to double check that it’s with the Taiwanese students and if it is, I’ll probably stay with them. If I simply can’t stand it, I’ll move out and just try to not care what the school thinks about it. I have positive feelings about it right now, anyways, I think it’ll work out.

This was a great answer, thank you!

They emailed me yesterday and said I can live on campus, I emailed them back to double check that it’s with the Taiwanese students and if it is, I’ll probably stay with them. If I simply can’t stand it, I’ll move out and just try to not care what the school thinks about it. I have positive feelings about it right now, anyways, I think it’ll work out.[/quote]

Sweet…I think you’ll have a good experience.

You may notice that your roommate(s) will give you snacks from time to time. This is a polite gesture. I recommend bringing milk tea back every now and then or a little snack just to be nice. They will appreciate it.

[quote=“archylgp”]
Sweet…I think you’ll have a good experience.

You may notice that your roommate(s) will give you snacks from time to time. This is a polite gesture. I recommend bringing milk tea back every now and then or a little snack just to be nice. They will appreciate it.[/quote]
Thanks, all of these small things are great to know!