Studying Chinese in Kaohisung - What do you think about living with three Taiwanese people?

There are Monkeys in Gaoxiong.

I was walking around ZhongShan University once and one came after my bread.

[quote=“archylgp”]There are Monkeys in Gaoxiong.

I was walking around ZhongShan University once and one came after my bread.[/quote]
Perhaps I should save them some snacks as well! :smiley:

As long as they aren’t aggressive or carry diseases, I think monkeys are cute, haha!

They are aggressive and the do carry disease, but no more than many other people. They are the least of your problems in Kaohsiung. Have fun!

Your main problem will be coming to terms with the small town mentality of a large percentage of the Kaohsiung population, the most annoying aspect being the way they drive and park with total disregard for the law and without the slightest sense of the inconvenience or danger they cause others. There’s absolutely nothing you can do about it except use public transport as much as possible.

On the other side of the coin, since ZhongShan University is one of the top universities in Taiwan, you may well encounter students with a certain sense of privilege and entitlement. That also could take some getting used to, though as a foreigner, you probably won’t be directly affected that much.

As far as living in a dorm is concerned, I can absolutely guarantee that you will not be doing it in your second year. Most likely, you will not be doing it in your second semester. The only advantage of living on campus I can see is that you should be able to easily find some like-minded friends, or better still, a like-minded female friend (I’m assuming you’re a heterosexual male, here) with whom you can share an apartment nearby. That’s probably your best option in terms of an environment in which you can maximise your opportunities for using Chinese.

I lived in a dorm for more than a year. I didn’t find it that bad.

I’d get a mosquito net going ASAP. That is probably the most important advice anyone can give you :slight_smile:

Thanks, I think I will! :slight_smile:

Your main problem will be coming to terms with the small town mentality of a large percentage of the Kaohsiung population, the most annoying aspect being the way they drive and park with total disregard for the law and without the slightest sense of the inconvenience or danger they cause others. There’s absolutely nothing you can do about it except use public transport as much as possible.

On the other side of the coin, since ZhongShan University is one of the top universities in Taiwan, you may well encounter students with a certain sense of privilege and entitlement. That also could take some getting used to, though as a foreigner, you probably won’t be directly affected that much.

As far as living in a dorm is concerned, I can absolutely guarantee that you will not be doing it in your second year. Most likely, you will not be doing it in your second semester. The only advantage of living on campus I can see is that you should be able to easily find some like-minded friends, or better still, a like-minded female friend (I’m assuming you’re a heterosexual male, here) with whom you can share an apartment nearby. That’s probably your best option in terms of an environment in which you can maximise your opportunities for using Chinese.[/quote]

[quote=“archylgp”]I lived in a dorm for more than a year. I didn’t find it that bad.

I’d get a mosquito net going ASAP. That is probably the most important advice anyone can give you :slight_smile:[/quote]
We’ll see, I suppose! It’s probably only important to live on campus for the first semester, if I’m only doing it to make friends. I’ll probably have made all the friends I’m going to make from there by then.

Mosquito nest is now on my list of things to buy when I get there!

That happens to new people alright, I saw one slapping a whole cup of noodles out of a local.

Sko;
I think we’ve had a chat in the past. I would really recommend living in the international house and hang around with locals, in my experience is the best way to maximize your stay, while at the same time alleviating the cultural differences. Watch TW tv, it helped me with pronunciation. I don’t know the new team in the OIA but if they are like the previous one, you must email them like 5 times before you get 1 reply.
Outside school housing is convenient if you have a scooter, it’s a lil bit of a pain to MRT to monkey mountain and cross the tunnel daily.

That happens to new people alright, I saw one slapping a whole cup of noodles out of a local.

Sko;
I think we’ve had a chat in the past. I would really recommend living in the international house and hang around with locals, in my experience is the best way to maximize your stay, while at the same time alleviating the cultural differences. Watch TW tv, it helped me with pronunciation. I don’t know the new team in the OIA but if they are like the previous one, you must email them like 5 times before you get 1 reply.
Outside school housing is convenient if you have a scooter, it’s a lil bit of a pain to MRT to monkey mountain and cross the tunnel daily.[/quote]
Yes, we have.

I’ve thought a lot about it, and what I think would happen if I lived with other foreigners is that I would hang out with them because it’s easier. I’m not one to take a lot of initiatives if I’m not forced to it, so getting to know Taiwanese people would be a lot harder if I already had foreign friends to make my life good enough. I really appreciate your input, but I’m pretty sure that the international villa is one of the worse options for me, because of my tendency to do things as easily as possible.

Regarding off campus housing, I’ve found several rooms very near the Zhongshan tunnel, so actually, that’s not a problem!

I think the most annoying thing with the OIA is that they don’t even apologize. I sent them several emails asking when I’ll find out and when they answer me two weeks later I don’t even get an apology. That’s pretty rude.

Sko;
Outside school housing is convenient if you have a scooter, it’s a lil bit of a pain to MRT to monkey mountain and cross the tunnel daily.[/quote]
Yes, we have.

I’ve thought a lot about it, and what I think would happen if I lived with other foreigners is that I would hang out with them because it’s easier. I’m not one to take a lot of initiatives if I’m not forced to it, so getting to know Taiwanese people would be a lot harder if I already had foreign friends to make my life good enough. I really appreciate your input, but I’m pretty sure that the international villa is one of the worse options for me, because of my tendency to do things as easily as possible.

Regarding off campus housing, I’ve found several rooms very near the Zhongshan tunnel, so actually, that’s not a problem!

I think the most annoying thing with the OIA is that they don’t even apologize. I sent them several emails asking when I’ll find out and when they answer me two weeks later I don’t even get an apology. That’s pretty rude.

One thing I failed to mention is that I am pretty Taiwanese culturally and speak Chinese all day everyday (My wife doesn’t even speak English.); this makes things easy for me…

[quote=“Sko”]

I think the most annoying thing with the OIA is that they don’t even apologize. I sent them several emails asking when I’ll find out and when they answer me two weeks later I don’t even get an apology. That’s pretty rude.[/quote]

Well, you want to learn don’t you? you have to hold yourself back, and force yourself to not follow the herd, I did make important TW acquaintances while still living in the international villa, I am bringing that up because you would mingle with them anyways in the Chinese center, and the regular dorms for 4 people are just way too crammed. But maybe your best bet is to find a place in Shiziwan, you’d have to get a scooter though, or get the grip of the buses right away because the Chinese center is way up in monkey mountain. Join the clubs and hang around in the gym, stay in touch with the OIA, and get yourself a student buddy and you’ll be pretty much set in terms of socializing. (Unless you get a shitty apathic student buddy). just my :2cents: trying to make it easier for ya… if you need anything just let me know. PS, at the first floor of the international villa they make some awesome breakfast burgers on your way up to the center… just so you know :wink:

[quote=“Pein_11”]
Well, you want to learn don’t you? you have to hold yourself back, and force yourself to not follow the herd, I did make important TW acquaintances while still living in the international villa, I am bringing that up because you would mingle with them anyways in the Chinese center, and the regular dorms for 4 people are just way too crammed. But maybe your best bet is to find a place in Shiziwan, you’d have to get a scooter though, or get the grip of the buses right away because the Chinese center is way up in monkey mountain. Join the clubs and hang around in the gym, stay in touch with the OIA, and get yourself a student buddy and you’ll be pretty much set in terms of socializing. (Unless you get a shitty apathic student buddy). just my :2cents: trying to make it easier for ya… if you need anything just let me know. PS, at the first floor of the international villa they make some awesome breakfast burgers on your way up to the center… just so you know :wink:[/quote]
imgur.com/2duzovF ← Map

In the area surrounded by a red rectangle, I’ve found several rooms. Is that not close enough to ride a bike or even walk maybe? There is the tunnel that goes right through a mountain, but will I still be walking upwards to get just to campus? From campus to the CLC I know you need to, but if we’re just talking about from where I found the rooms to campus.

Yes, I do want to learn! That’s why I think it’s so important for me to force myself to speak that I’m willing to try this. Every second I spend speaking with another foreigner, I could have spent speaking with a Taiwanese person. If it doesn’t work out, I think a better option than the International Villa is a room in the area I marked in the screenshot. I’m pretty sure nothing can talk me into living in the IV right now (not even the burgers!! Hope I can snatch me some anyways “Yes, I live here”), but I do really appreciate your input and help!

How do I get myself a student buddy? Are they Taiwanese students that search for foreigners or are they just students looking to pair up with other students, whichever?

[quote=“Sko”]
imgur.com/2duzovF <-- Map

In the area surrounded by a red rectangle, I’ve found several rooms. Is that not close enough to ride a bike or even walk maybe? There is the tunnel that goes right through a mountain, but will I still be walking upwards to get just to campus? From campus to the CLC I know you need to, but if we’re just talking about from where I found the rooms to campus.

Yes, I do want to learn! That’s why I think it’s so important for me to force myself to speak that I’m willing to try this. Every second I spend speaking with another foreigner, I could have spent speaking with a Taiwanese person. If it doesn’t work out, I think a better option than the International Villa is a room in the area I marked in the screenshot. I’m pretty sure nothing can talk me into living in the IV right now (not even the burgers!! Hope I can snatch me some anyways “Yes, I live here”), but I do really appreciate your input and help!

How do I get myself a student buddy? Are they Taiwanese students that search for foreigners or are they just students looking to pair up with other students, whichever?[/quote]

Yup that red rectangle area is shiziwan and by just crossing the tunnel you are in campus. the CLC is where it says Lianhai road, a bit higher up, it doesnt show in this pic. That’s how far it is .
Allright, your choice :slight_smile: remember that in the international villa is not only westerners, I got to hang around with singaporeans, malay, tw and this one monk who taught me loads of chinese :wink: Tw, aren’t the only speakers.
To get yourself a student buddy send an email to the OIA, they usually assign you one, but I dont know if that’s for language only students too. It’s just a pool of students who want to help out, they sign up in the OIA and they are paried up with a foreigner randomly, I got an awesome one that taught me to use the MRT from day 1.

[quote=“Pein_11”]
Yup that red rectangle area is shiziwan and by just crossing the tunnel you are in campus. the CLC is where it says Lianhai road, a bit higher up, it doesnt show in this pic. That’s how far it is .
Allright, your choice :slight_smile: remember that in the international villa is not only westerners, I got to hang around with singaporeans, malay, tw and this one monk who taught me loads of chinese :wink: Tw, aren’t the only speakers.
To get yourself a student buddy send an email to the OIA, they usually assign you one, but I don’t know if that’s for language only students too. It’s just a pool of students who want to help out, they sign up in the OIA and they are paried up with a foreigner randomly, I got an awesome one that taught me to use the MRT from day 1.[/quote]
Oh, so it’s Taiwanese students looking to help foreigners out, did I understand that correctly? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Sko”]
Oh, so it’s Taiwanese students looking to help foreigners out, did I understand that correctly? :p[/quote]
Yup, pretty much! It depends on the person you get though like I said, mine got me started but then was too busy, other guy became boyfriend to his student buddy, and some other didn’t even know they had one… so it’s all about luck!

Sweet, I’ll check that out!