Studying for a BA in Chinese

Is it possible to study towards a BA degree in Chinese? Probably a stupid question, but how would that work for a foreigner who teaches afternoons and evenings and already has a degree.

Anyone know of any good Uni’s one could be referred to here (Tainan)? Is Cheng Gung Uni any good?

Perhaps you should just contact the admin office at the uni’s yourself.

I don’t think we can help you gain admission to an undergraduate degree here.

It is unlikely that your classes as an undergraduate would be neatly enough arranged to allow you to work mornings consistently – unless you went to night university classes.

Also, if you do apply to a university, don’t mention you plan to work even if you do. It is a red flag with many admissions committees; they feel that no one could possibly work and go to school at the same time. At least this has been my experience, so it might be better to keep your mouth shut as to your ideas about working. They are not likely to ask unless you volunteer or try to get mornings free consistently.

Remember too that undergrad schedules are very full in Taiwanese universities. True, many of the classes are fairly easy, and students don’t always show up for them, but as a foreigner you are a) very visible and easily missed and b) at a disadvantage in terms of language, so you might need to show up.

Finally, I would ask in all good faith, why would you WANT an undergrad degree in Chinese? It will do absolutely nothing for you (trust me on this one, I’ve got one). IMHO you’d do better to study something else and learn Chinese too, on the side. Then you’d be an employable person who speaks Chinese, and not a person whose Chinese is okay and has a BA in it but really can’t get a job based on it. Just my NT$0.66 but I have been down this road – you are practically forced to go on to the MA and Ph.D to be employable strictly from Chinese.

Cheng Gong University is fine for a B.A. in Chinese. You’ll most likely be required to take a Chinese language proficiency test to be admitted. Be sure you’ve studied some classical Chinese. The rest is just like Ironlady said. The classload for undergrads is insane, and you’ll be taking a bunch of nonsense classes in your first couple of years like math, science, phys. ed, civics, etc. that have nothing to do with your Chinese studies. And you will only have time to work a couple hours in the evening, but that will still be tough as you will have A LOT of homework. If you already have a degree that is either in Chinese or a related field (such as “East Asian Studies” or something like that), you can study your ass off for a year and then try to get into a graduate program if you’re interested in academia.

do not mention working and attending school, as has been stated.

according to what i was told, it is not even legal for foreigners to work while attending post-secondary … this is supposedly MOE regs, although ymmv.

when i started my master’s degree, i was told that i couldn’t work in the first year, but the second year would be okay. getting close to the end of the first year now. but the course load is still quite heavy (program is changing next year), which means not a whole lot of free time. can’t wait till our baby arrives during mid terms :laughing:

xtrain … just curious, but where and what are you studying?

BTW, you can get a job with the school, and I don’t think you need a working permit or any other kind of paperwork. Usually what they do is call it a “supplementary scholarship” or something like that, but it’s basically a job like sitting in the library and making sure the students in the study rooms don’t get too noisy, cleaning up the classrooms after school, working on the department’s web page, or other such chores. NTU gives NT$8,000 per month for about 8 hours/week of work. Not much, but if you need a little extra money, that’s one way to go. Also, there are LOTS of scholarships available for foreign students … not just the one’s from the MOE, but there are also grants and other funds that you can apply for along with the Taiwanese students. Usually they range from NT$10,000 to $50,000 per year. Not a whole lot, but every bit helps.

I worked all the way through my MA in Taiwan. I don’t think the University knew about it – but actually I was on a work visa, not a student visa, because I was already there working when I applied.

My department certainly knew about it, and hated it, but I was older than their average student and my job was in the field I was studying, and I’d already been doing it for some years, so I basically just ignored them. They got over it for the most part. (Yes, you can still get the “I’m a breathing foreigner with a pulse” scholarship, too.)

–il

Thanks for all the advice. I reckon I’ll definitely mosy on down to the Admin offices and ask. Probably the more sensible thing to do. Just wanted to get some views on this.

I thought a BA in Chinese would be useful as I’ve been here a few years and intend to be a long term (maybe even permanent) resident. Am more interested in Academia, but I can see that it would then probably be better to do a MA and later a PhD. The thing is I would prefer to eventually teach at university level in about five years from now, but I am led to believe that the Uni’s here want you to get your MA in a foreign country (advisably your own), so I was under the impression that doing an MA here would not really be very useful.

Incidently I’m interested in persuing a MA and later a PhD in Political Sciences concentrating on Far East Asian Studies. My thinking has always been that this is the place to do it (if not China), but the dilemma being that they don’t really want to hire you as a lecturer (in English or otherwise) if you didn’t get your post grad degree abroad. Am I mislead in this assumption?

The other reason why I was contemplating a BA in Chinese was to achieve a relatively high proficiency level in order to actually use the available Chinese language sources in my primary field of interest. But from what you all have said I can see that it would probably be just as useful to just study Chinese in itself outside of degree purposes.

At the moment I’m up to around 500 characters, but I still feel like an absolute clutz when it copmes to actual literacy in the language. And sure, I realise 500 characters is bugger all really.

Thanks again for all the advice.

A degree in Chinese here would be for those who are interested in being a Chinese teacher here or pursuing Sinological studies. As for becoming a lecturer with a M.A. and Ph.D. in political science from a Taiwanese university, I’m not sure. The general rule at NTU is that they hire professors who have their graduate degrees from NTU or very prestigious overseas schools (like Harvard, Yale, etc.) I’m not sure about other universities, though. I have a caucasian friend who teaches Chinese history at Chung Cheng University in Chiayi and he has his Ph.D. from Harvard. He was voted “professor of the year” twice by the students at his university … so it’s not impossible for foreigners to be professors here in fields once believed to be reserved for only Taiwanese/Chinese.

You won’t learn Chinese any better (well, much better) as a non-native speaker by taking a BA in Chinese at a Taiwanese university. It’s geared for native speakers. You could probably survive and even graduate, perhaps even do well, but I think you would be much better served to study something else. A BA in Chinese won’t get you jack squat (TRUST me on this one…please!) anyway, and you can’t continue on to an MA or Ph.D in anything directly except more Chinese.

Words just fail me. :loco:

Points well taken. Thanks for the advice and the time taken to write your comments. I appreciate it.

I’ll add that a BA in Chinese is useful when combined with something else. On its own it isn’t good for very much. But combined with an MA in education, an MBA, a JD, or some other worthy credential the Chinese will put you over the top.

But on its own it is the equivalent to a BA in Humanities.

Sure, thanks for that. Point taken. After reading all the replies from the wise sages on this forum I’ve decided to rather go for my Masters in my field of expertise, and continue to study Chinese on the side as an addition rather than a major.

But thanks all the same.

[quote=“puiwaihin”]I’ll add that a BA in Chinese is useful when combined with something else. On its own it isn’t good for very much. But combined with an MA in education, an MBA, a JD, or some other worthy credential the Chinese will put you over the top.

But on its own it is the equivalent to a BA in Humanities.[/quote]

I think it’s worse than a BA in Humanities. At least people can imagine what you studied doing a BA in Humanities. They have no clue what you did for four years if you have a BA or BS in Chinese.

Also, to the people “in the know”, a BA in Chinese means nothing in terms of your language ability. A BA in Chinese plus ten years living in Taiwan, now that might be something (or might not). A BS in Chinese plus ten years’ experience doing something else might get you a job. I’m a poor example because I majored in Chinese all the way through and I do actually make my living 100% from Chinese (well, a little bit of Spanish thrown in here and there) but I don’t know many people who do make their livings from Chinese, and of those who do, relatively few have degrees in it (except, for the most part, those who are teaching).

But your mileage may vary.

The CIA, FBI, and NSA would be interested in you if you have a BA in Chinese, although they’ll then put you through their extensive language training program. However, they’ll want you even more if you’ve got extensive experience overseas. There is a high demand now for Chinese translators and East Asia experts in the aforementioned organizations. If you’ve already got a M.A. or Ph.D., your starting salary will be higher. And if you want to, they might let you carry a gun! :laughing:

That goes for Arabic as well. But to qualify for jobs like that you have to be squeaky clean. And there aren’t all THAT many jobs with those particular organizations.

As for Ironlady’s remarks that a BA in Chinese is a little worse than a BA in Humanities, she’s got a point. But then if you are looking for work in an area where Westerners are dealing with Chinese specifically it will carry more currency. But still not as much currency as a more technical degree plus Chinese language and cultural experience.

Here in Taiwan the degree is even less valuable since expats here without the degree will be more likely have the practical knowledge a degree in Chinese represents. They can judge your Chinese by speaking to you-- they don’t need to look at a piece of paper.

So, for those who may be considering this path make sure you have a good idea of what you’re going to be getting.

I’m hope I’m not being negative, but depending on whether by BA in Chinese you mean a degree in Chinese literature or a degree in poly sci or whatever in Chinese, you’re short, oh, 4,000 or 5,000 characters or so. And if you mean Chinese literature, you’ll need to read a bunch of that before you start (as your classmates would have already).

I’m hope I’m not being negative, but depending on whether by BA in Chinese you mean a degree in Chinese literature or a degree in poly sci or whatever in Chinese, you’re short, oh, 4,000 or 5,000 characters or so. And if you mean Chinese literature, you’ll need to read a bunch of that before you start (as your classmates would have already).[/quote]

It’s not that bad … I haven’t had any problems. :smiley:

I’m hope I’m not being negative, but depending on whether by BA in Chinese you mean a degree in Chinese literature or a degree in poly sci or whatever in Chinese, you’re short, oh, 4,000 or 5,000 characters or so. And if you mean Chinese literature, you’ll need to read a bunch of that before you start (as your classmates would have already).[/quote]

I think 4000-5000 is for native Chinese speakers with a BA in Chinese. I’d say when I got my degree I could recognize less than 2500. Now, I didn’t have the best Chinese in my classes, and there may have been some students who were over 3000 (but I would be surprised), but I was able to keep up with class as long as I studied.

I’ve been told that it takes about 2000 characters to be functionally (read: barely) literate. Most literate Chinese know between 3000-4000 characters. University graduates add another 1000 characters. Professors of Chinese will top out around 6000 to 7000.

So, while 500 is way too few to get by, it is a decent start. But just recognizing characters is also just a start. Don’t be discouraged, but don’t think half a thousand is anywhere to be resting at.

That goes for Arabic as well. But to qualify for jobs like that you have to be squeaky clean. And there aren’t all THAT many jobs with those particular organizations.[/quote]

It’s not THAT hard to be squeaky clean. And there are quite a few jobs as those agency’s web sites will attest to. They are in desperate need of people with Chinese language ability (and perhaps even more now that this new “anti-secession” bill has passed and the Taidu rhetoric gets louder and louder). Besides Arabic, they also need Pashtun, Farsi, etc. A good FBI friend of my parents keeps trying to get me to go back and join the FBI … the weekly phone call from my parents keeps reminding me of that. If I do, I’ll at least wait until I have my M.A. (I’ll be getting it next spring), because I’d start at a higher pay grade … and I’d rather work for the NSA than the FBI … and of course they’d have to give me a gun! :wink: