Studying in Beijing

Try!
试试!

i don’t wish to teach english in china…this thread is about studying.

I’m now also contemplating studying Chinese on the mainland. I’m concerned that the programs there will only teach simplified characters.

My feeling is that it would be better to learn both traditional and simplified characters. Which of the schools, if any, that have been mentioned so far teach both traditional and simplified? Or have the schools in China completely done away with teaching traditional characters?

[quote=“aprimo”]I’m now also contemplating studying Chinese on the mainland. I’m concerned that the programs there will only teach simplified characters.

My feeling is that it would be better to learn both traditional and simplified characters. Which of the schools, if any, that have been mentioned so far teach both traditional and simplified? Or have the schools in China completely done away with teaching traditional characters?[/quote]
Other than the IUP at Qinghua, I don’t think you’ll find a school that teaches traditional characters. Most professional teachers seem to know them well enough to write them (albeit not fluently), though. My opinion is that the quality of materials and teaching at some mainland schools is good enough that confusion over crossing from traditional to simplified characters should only be a minor concern.