Studying SIMPLIFIED chinese in Taipei

Good Morning,

this is Ilaria , an Italian student from Milan. I’ve been studying Chinese for 3 years and I’ve also attended a Chinese course in Beijing for a month a half in 2011.
I will come to Taipei by mid September and I was interested in your Chinese mandarin courses (simplified characters).
I will stay in Taipei until Mid January and I would like to attend the course until then.

Is very important for me to find a chinese simplified course since my mid january exam in Italy will be with simplified characters.

Can anyone help me to find such a course?

PS the less it costs, the happier I’ll be. I’m a student and as a student I only have little money :bow:

Thanks, Ilaria

[quote=“Ila”]I’ve been studying Chinese for 3 years and I’ve also attended a Chinese course in Beijing for a month a half in 2011.
I will come to Taipei by mid September and I was interested in your Chinese Mandarin courses (simplified characters). [/quote]

I hope your Chinese course did mention that Taiwan is different from China, and uses Traditional (full-form, long-form) characters, not Simplified characters. You won’t find a school in Taiwan using Simplified characters as far as I know – especially if they are government-sponsored in any way.

As a foreigner studying Chinese, you really should recognize both Simplified and Traditional if you are serious about the language. You don’t need to write both (though IMO you really don’t need to write either, simply be able to type, which would make you able to type both), but these days reading both is pretty much standard for any foreign learners who is serious about going on beyond an intermediate level and doing anything with Chinese in the long run. It’s not very difficult – just get some fairly easy reading materials and dive in. There are also booklets available that list the Simplified and Traditional equivalents. I think it’s easier going from Traditional to Simplified, but it should not be impossible for you in any event.

tli.com.tw/EN/dept_CN/dept_CN.asp?ID=3

[quote=“Taipei Language Institute”]Students have the option of choosing from materials in either the Mandarin phonetic symbols (e.g., bo-po-mo-fo) used in Taiwan or Pinyin, the Romanization system used in China that has been adopted worldwide. There is also a choice between texts using traditional Chinese or
simplified characters
. [/quote]

But this is only the textbook. The teacher will most likely only write traditional Chinese, and everything else around you will only be in traditional.

I do not think that this is a bad thing, though. Just check everything in the dictionary and look up the simplified form. People who want to learn traditional outside of Taiwan have to do this every time :smiley:

Also, you may start to like traditional. I’ve seen several people who were the uttermost “China is the best country in the world and I only learn simplified Chinese” people and suddenly started to like Taiwan and traditional Chinese once they were here :wink: