Studying (undergrad) in Taizhong (Taichung)

I want to move to Taichung to study. I’d like to pursue a degree in Chinese (literature, language, etc.)
Are there any Universities that offer classes starting at Freshman level for Chinese beginners?
I’ve studied Chinese one semester and had some very serious LE’s, and can speak basic conversation. Well, very basic. Also I can only read about 400 characters. All of this was in USA. It’s not enough to be thrown into an all Chinese environment with native speaking classmates :noway:
Perhaps a curriculum designed for non-native speakers?
:cactus: ← (is that random enough?)
I want to move to Taichung, and am wondering if any Universities can provide me with what I am looking for.

BTW, I have tried emailing a few schools, but it is clear they didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.

Taichung isn’t a must, but preferred.

crybllrd

[color=#008080]mod note: spelling in title fixed[/color]

[quote=“crybllrd”]I want to move to Taichung to study. I’d like to pursue a degree in Chinese (literature, language, etc.)
Are there any Universities that offer classes starting at Freshman level for Chinese beginners?
I’ve studied Chinese one semester and had some very serious LE’s, and can speak basic conversation. Well, very basic. Also I can only read about 400 characters. All of this was in USA. It’s not enough to be thrown into an all Chinese environment with native speaking classmates :noway:
Perhaps a curriculum designed for non-native speakers?
:cactus: ← (is that random enough?)
I want to move to Taichung, and am wondering if any Universities can provide me with what I am looking for.

BTW, I have tried emailing a few schools, but it is clear they didn’t have a clue what I was talking about.

Taichung isn’t a must, but preferred.

crybllrd[/quote]

Well, at Feng Chia University, which is in Taichung, you can study the Chinese language division a year or so and then begin college classes. The fact that you already know some helps, maybe you can be placed in level 2 instead of 1, and have a little head start.

One girl I met there last year was from America. And she began her studies there take language courses for about a whole year before she began to take any real college classes. Even then she said that she got really bad grades like her first 2 terms. Later on she said that her grades substantially improved and she received really high scores.

So it’s definitely possible to go into one of those colleges in Taichung. Although it would probably be a much better idea to just study whatever undergraduate education you need in America. Feng Chia isn’t a bad school, but there is a lot of schools in the country so take a look at all of them, school by school, to see which one meets your need.

If you want to consider living in Taipei, Taiwan Normal University offers a B.A. in Chinese that is strictly for foreign students. The cost is about 20,000NT a semester.