STUNNED by my Mother

so, here i am living in st.louis almost two years back from china/taiwan making a go of it in the land of my birth. i was over my parents place watching the evening news when my Mom simply stated something i never imagined possible. she said “you should go back to china because there is no future here in this country.”

just like that. then she continued “you can sell your house, bank the profits and even study for your Masters (in Chinese) in China.”

she isn’t the type to even joke around about such.

And how do you feel about coming back over here?

[quote=“skeptic yank”]so, here I am living in st.louis almost two years back from China/taiwan making a go of it in the land of my birth. I was over my parents place watching the evening news when my Mom simply stated something I never imagined possible. she said “you should go back to China because there is no future here in this country.”

just like that. then she continued “you can sell your house, bank the profits and even study for your Masters (in Chinese) in China.”

she isn’t the type to even joke around about such.[/quote]

My mother said almost exactly the same thing…and she wants me to come back. :s

Be glad you have parents to give you advice.
Also,
Be aware that not every bit of advice they may offer is worth acting on.

irish stu,
there is a thread i started in the archives titled “bored to death in the US” started some time back.

i would think that anyone who has returned home after many years abroad has faced transitional rough spots. until she spoke up, china/taiwan was entirely in my rear view mirror and getting smaller ever day.

the recent event shall, no doubt, give cause to rethink returning to china regardless of how i feel. my parents are smart folks and i respect what they have to say very much.

I’ve heard similar comments from my parents. They don’t tell me to stay in Taiwan but they grumble about how the US and the world is going to hell – war, deficits, poverty, crime, dropping educational standards, corrupt corporations and politicians, and on and on. Watching the news can be depressing, especially for older people. And they’re right, world and national affairs definitely seem to be getting worse, not better. Oh well. I try not to dwell on it and avoid discussing the news with my parents.

Gosh, you save that for us?? sigh… :wink:

Gosh, you save that for us?? sigh… :wink:[/quote]

Moi? I’ve got 828 posts in the IP forum as compared to your 1045. :smiley:

I’ve been trying to avoid that forum for the past year or so and hope some day my most posts will be in D&R or Restaurants or Where Can I Find.

Gosh, you save that for us?? sigh… :wink:[/quote]

Moi? I’ve got 828 posts in the IP forum as compared to your 1045. :smiley:

I’ve been trying to avoid that forum for the past year or so and hope some day my most posts will be in D&R or Restaurants or Where Can I find.[/quote]

I am proud to say that I think most of my posts have ended up in the Temporary forum! :smiley:

[quote=“TomHill”]
I am proud to say that I think most of my posts have ended up in the Temporary forum! :smiley:[/quote]

Me too. Hehe.

The world is not getting worse, it

[quote=“skeptic yank”]so, here I am living in st.louis almost two years back from China/taiwan making a go of it in the land of my birth. I was over my parents place watching the evening news when my Mom simply stated something I never imagined possible. she said “you should go back to China because there is no future here in this country.”

You’re sure this isn’t just because you didn’t clean up your room?

nah. i could never keep a room clean enough for her (neither then nor now). she tries to clean when she comes over my place. i’ll have none of that but she is darn fine painitng and i do all i can to let her keep rolling away.

I’ve been hearing that it’s a great time to be back in the US. The recession hasn’t been as bad as predicted, so firms are preparing to invest or at least not hold back on investing in talent. The baby boomers ARE retiring on schedule, although many are turning right around and selling consulting back to their firms. Nevertheless, American firms are concerned about a talent shortage. Meanwhile, headhunters are reporting a business boom unseen since their heyday in the late 90’s.

Has anyone heard the same or otherwise?

If you can package your China experience and use it stay in the US, you may be able to do well.

Parents want us to be happy. I often think my Mum wants me home, but she regularly reminds me that all she wants is my happiness.
I bet your mum has said these things cos she thinks you may be happier in the long run if you move back here.

Better the devil you don’t know, in this case.

I have trouble believing that…

S.Y., if you watch the asian gal pages on the internet all day long, it is no wonder, your mum tells you to …

[quote=“skeptic yank”]. she said “you should go back to China because there is no future here in this country.”

She isn’t the type to even joke around about such.[/quote]

Mom’s are always right but I’m still not moving to China. I’ll go down with this sinking ship lol :noway: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

satellite,
fear not…china is moving to you.

china/taiwan is the same to her. my father still refers to taiwan as formosa and the PRC as “chicoms”.

[quote=“skeptic yank”]satellite,
fear not…China is moving to you.

China/Taiwan is the same to her. my father still refers to Taiwan as formosa and the PRC as “chicoms”.[/quote]

We used to call it National China once where I come from.

May be an older word though (was still used in the late 70s).