Stupid Business Travellers

And I thought Intel engineers were supposed to be smart.
:smiling_imp: I guess it pays to know the correct spelling of Taiwan.

outsidethebeltway.com/archiv … s_taiyuan/

As the sun dipped low in the sky last Sunday and his plane began its descent, Eugene Nelson had a sinking feeling that something was wrong.

He

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]Nelson said he ended up at a brothel, and had to

Eugene eases out into the humid night, hails a taxi in the hope of making golf club manufacture O-Tian in Pintung. The drive stumbles on the destination but Eugene’s an easy mark. Soon the glitzy neon appears and Eugene slinks back into the seat surprised at the industry this captain spies. Soon roaring drunk in the arms of a particularly heavy-suit katoey, he realises his mistake. Screaming down the line to his boss in NY he pleads, I said "Pintung’ not ‘Patpong’ . . .

HG

Rather patpong than pingdong, if you ask me. If into golf, much easier to get the balls polished in patpong.

I read about a poor fellow, which was supposed to go to Hong Kong from Tokyo. They put him on a plane to Auckland instead by mistake.

It took him a few days to make it back.

Flight routes are expressed as being between cities, not countries. It’s understandable then that the ticket agent might be confused when asked for a ticket to Taiwan, if that is indeed what happened.

But still - sounds like a guy not doing his homework.

First of all - going to Taiyuan, you need a visa. Even the dimmest traveller ought ot know that Taiwan requires one kind, Taiyuan another.

True. I’m not trying to excuse the dufus. At the very least he should have looked at his ticket to make sure it was right.

You’re all forgetting the poor bastard’s culpable “assistant.” “Yeah hi honey, I’ll need a ticket to Tooaiyun for the following week. Sort all that out for me, will ya?”

HG

…or the Travel Agency that had no idea what they were doing. :loco:

A few years ago I tried to purchase a ticket from Bangkok to Phuket from a US travel agent. I was quoted a price of around $2000USD with an estimated flight time of 27 hours.
Instead of using HKT for Phuket, she typed in PHK (Palm Beach Co Glades, Florida). :loco:

I decided just to wait until I got to BKK to buy the ticket.

From the guy’s description, I reckon he actually did arrive in Taoyuan.

HAHAHAHAHA! :laughing:

Reminds me of a story a few years ago about a Japanese tourist in England who wound up in my home town:

[quote=“The Daily Telegraph”]A Japanese tourist who wanted to catch a flight to Turkey was put on a train to Torquay after asking for directions at Paddington.

Kumiko Tsuchida, who was on her first visit to Britain, arrived in Devon at midnight, convinced that she had been through the Channel Tunnel and was in Istanbul.

She was found wandering at 2am by police who instigated an operation involving social services, a home for the elderly, a travel agent and the Japanese embassy.

Mrs Tsuchida, 40, who teaches Japanese at Istanbul university but has only a limited grasp of English, eventually caught a flight to Turkey yesterday morning.

Things started to go wrong on Monday when she left the house of a friend in London to catch a train to Heathrow. At Paddington she inquired about the best way to travel.

Speaking through an interpreter, Mrs Tsuchida said: “I told the staff at Paddington that I wanted to go to Turkey. I kept saying ‘Turkey, Turkey’. But because of my pronounciation they put me on a train to Torquay. I thought it was a long way to the airport but when I asked people ‘Turkey? Turkey?’ they told me I was on the right train.”

“She told officers that she had been on the train so long, she genuinely believed she was in Turkey already,” said a spokesman for Devon and Cornwall police.

Torbay social services received a call from police at 2am. “They had a lost and exhausted lady from Japan who needed a bed for the night,” said a spokesman. “We were happy to oblige. She was too tired to eat and went straight to bed.”

Mrs Tsuchida slept at an old people’s home and was taken to a branch of Thomas Cook before being handed over to the Japanese Embassy. Yesterday morning she found herself