Stupid Expressions (not oxymorons)

think outside the box
pushing the envelope (I picture 2 guys at a table pushing an envelope back & forth)
ramp up (fortunately this one seems to be ramping down)
weapons of mass destruction (apparently bad when possessed by some and good when possessed by others)

*NOTE: for oxymorons, see the other thread.

Thank you MT for that. I’d like to kill people who babble business speak like “thinking outside the box”. It makes me want to “move their cheese” so far up their butts their breath smells of Roquefort. :smiling_imp:

running the flag up the pole and seeing who salutes

bouncing ideas off each other

“In point of actual fact”

Only righteous people say this.

“irregardless”

How many of these expressions do you know?
(Or how many have you said?)

These are the top 15 stupid expressions found:

1. You’re the berries!!
  2. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me!!
  3. I am rubber and you are glue. Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you!!
  4. I know what you are but what am I?!!
  5. Sew buttons on ice cream and see if they stick!!
  6. Down the yellow brick road we go!!
  7. Practice makes perfect!!
  8. If at first you don’t succeed, try try again!!
  9. Papa needs a new pair of shoes!!
  10. I’m breathing down your neck!!
  11. That was then and this is now!!
  12. Because I said so that’s why!!
  13. No way Jose`!!
  14. When I was your age, we walked 6 miles to school uphill both ways, blah, blah blah!!
  15. Shuffle off to Buffalo!!!

Some stupid cliches popular in Taiwan that I hope never to hear again:
“win-win situation”
“an unstoppable global trend” (this gets applied to just about everything)
:imp:

At least I think we’re finally through with “in the new millennium…”

I’m still hitting the delete button on two or three of those a week, but then, we’re a little behind the times over here. :wink:

And the only reason you don’t see so many win-win situations is because its been superseded by win-win-win situations.

I hear Taiwanese people translate biandang as “Lunch Box” all the time. Surely it’s wrong. Shouldn’t the first word describe the second, rather than the other way around? In my thinking, it should be “Box Lunch”, since one is describing the lunch and not the container.

Parallel examples would be car stereo, alarm clock, sheepdog and ice tea. Iced tea is also sometimes heard, and I guess “boxed lunch” would be acceptable, if a little unwieldy.

Anyway, that’s one translation that bugs me. I feel better now. :sunglasses:

fruit cup?

chicken dish?

veggie platter?

:slight_smile:

Exactly. What kind of cup? A fruit cup. What kind of platter? A vegetable platter. The 1st word describes the second.

Bien Dang is Japanese for rice box, not Chinese

uh, no, bento is Japanese, bien dang is Chinese.

piss up?

When I was a kid in NY if something was cool it was “a pisser.” Can’t imagine how that became popular. Gnarly, bitchin and rad make so much more sense. Then there’s phat. :?

NY - MT, that explains a lot. Now I understand why we have argued so much in the past and exchanged profanities (perhaps that’s a bit one sided). NY - I love NY, some of my best memories and friends are in NY. I guess I’ll give you a fair go in the future now that I understand where you’re from. Geez, NY - small world, big city

BH,
Actually NY is not just a city but a state with abundant wilderness areas. Many people, even in the US, don’t fully recognize that. I never lived in the city but grew up in rural NY, up the hill from a creek where we spent every day of our summers gathering clams and mussels, spearing eels, catching flounder, snorkeling, building rafts, or sailing, waterskiing or fishing for bass on the Long Island Sound, and hiking in beautiful upstate NY, all of which I am incredibly grateful for now that I’m learning about Taiwan, where recreation consists of Sogo, Warner Village and video arcades. I would imagine many kids in NZ grow up with similar wilderness experiences?

MT,

Snap. :smiley: . I grew up with exactly that kind of lifestyle.
Most of my friends from NY are from outside the city. But, they are friends with the mob and do crack, so I don’t keep in touch much anymore. :shock:
I really want to take my son back to give him that kind of childhood too.

One of my American co teachers taught “It’s dope”, as in “pretty f@#$ing good” to the whole school, G1-6 at general assembley. It’s not a stupid expression, but , man. What do you say?

If he wants to teach slang and it would be useful, then ok. But, by the time these kids get to use it… hmmmm… is he a dope? :wink: