Stupid for Going Back to Taiwan AGAIN?

Problem is, these places are boring as fuck. No point to living in the Bay Area if it’s in places like this.

They’re also extremely expensive too.

Last time in SF all I ever seen are soccer moms, rich liberals, some homeless people, and little else.

All the good and interesting places that makes SF are gone. Same thing happened in Austin.

1 Like

diff strokes for diff folks. Just because you live in a place doesn’t mean you are going to be ONLY there yeah?

I don’t know about you but I like where I live to be nice and quiet and safe and clean. OH wait i grew up in Taipei??

Sounds great on paper, but I find that I get bored really quickly. I’d even take my chances in Oakland before I’d live in one of those dead suburbs.

1 Like

gosh seriously? Well i donno, I am not qualified economically to live there, I do drive by.

Seems nice to me.

I guess you could always live where one of my best buds live near Oakland airport where there is an almost daily shooting. I don’t like going there at all and to me (not that ive been there) it looks like what Soweto would look like. But even there the run down crack houses go for 250,000.

Obviously, there are certain areas (well, a lot) that you’d want to avoid. The weather is amazing though.

The ones run by Democrats are def awful now.

There are other cities that are growing quickly and not so burdened, and that are not too bad. You mentioned Austin, which last I checked is still growing strongly. So is San Antonio. Nashville. There are other cities that are quickly eclipsing the shitholes run by Democrats.

Oakland has a lot to do and is obv culturally rich.

Great food, great weather, never boring. Not the safest place though.

1 Like

Nyc is the best city in America, arguably in the world. Its run by dems.

Depends where. Parts of it LOOK scary as hell esp at night, no people just massive freeway overpasses and sprawl and stuff. I remember one area around a lake that is really nice, nice houses etc. Forgot the name tho.

Id much rather live in Oak than SF. And LA over either…

Austin is full of incompetent city officials who thinks they’re above the average person.

Austin is growing because of all the people from big cities who are sick of things, so they run to Austin, Problem is they bring their problem over to Austin.

Last time I was there the city was seriously jam packed, traffic way too heavy for the size of the city and things are gentrifying at a rapid pace. Before long it will turn into another boring old city.

What does this have to do with coming back to Taiwan?

1 Like

Those would be the Democrats. Fortunately they haven’t gained full control just yet.

Austin is growing because the job market there is monstrous, the food is great, the hills are nice, and the music isn’t terrible.

There are people who move to Austin from California and who will do their best to turn Austin into a Cali shithole, I’ll grant you that.

Let’s add to that account that you have states rights vs federal involvement.

I don’t want the feds telling me what I can’t/can do in my state but also want them to be involved. Right now, I think America has lost its ability to reason, listen and look at the big picture and be adults about certain issues.

I deal with the homelessness near my job a lot and some days I want to cuss them out. But I really wish capitalism and gentrification wasn’t on steroids either. There is a way for growth without having to ignore people or tell them you’re SOL, we’re gonna to do us.

America is not capitalist, not anymore anyways.

In a capitalist society the government’s job is supposed to make sure everyone has a level and fair playing field (even though a true capitalist society will ALWAYS lead to a monopoly), but sadly right now America is in crony capitalism. The big money tells all governments what to do, no one else has any say in it. This is probably why things that benefit Americans like schools, roads, public works project, etc. see minimal investment/funding while useless stuff like prison, law enforcement, military, etc. sees massive investment. The Federal government will spend big money to give small cities helicopters, planes, advanced thermo optic gears to spot people growing weed but will give next to nothing for education and public works.

Maybe China has a point. Big money doesn’t tell China how to run China, but right now it seems their people are taken care of.

Given how much money is available to the US economy why can’t they afford NHI like healthcare? Why do I have to tell a doctor “No I won’t have that MRI because my prolactin level is a little high” because it costs 1000 dollars. But in Taiwan if the doctor thinks my prolactin level is a problem, he’ll do an MRI and it will cost maybe 500nt.

America has lost its ability to reason is a serious understatement.

I have enjoyed reading this thread full of opinions. I will summarize what I’ve read here, to save time for others:

Taiwan luthiers wants you to know that everything is awful, all the time. And especially everything about the U.S. is always awful. Guitars are not awful, but no one takes a serious Luther seriously, and that is awful!

Bojack wants you to know that all the shethole places are all the Democrats’ fault. If there is a bad place to live, it’s because Democrats. Or libruls, which is worse than Democrats.

Tommy525 actually lives in the Bay Area and wants you to know it ain’t so bad. (But you have to stop spending time in the tenderloin / civic center.)

Everyone agrees San Francisco is too expensive, and not worth the price. And Taiwan is cool, or else why would you be reading Forumosa?

4 Likes

well your definition of ‘taken care of’ is certainly interesting.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the summary! It would have been more useful, however, if it had appeared at the top of the thread.

1 Like

If I’ve missed out on a long Forumosa conversation, I often just skip to the end to see what the last person said. Doesn’t everyone do that?