Stupid question

What is the difference between DVD and CD rw/r?

WHen do you need to use a DVD?

[quote=“Battery9”]What is the difference between DVD and CD rw/r?

WHen do you need to use a DVD?[/quote]
DVDs have higher storage capacity compared to CDs.

CDs store up to 700MB. DVDs store up to 4.38GB for single layer. DVD burners are only slightly more expensive than CDRW now, so if you are trying to decide what kind to get, just go for a DVD burner. The difference in price isn’t worth worrying about.

It depends a lot on what you are doing to tell which one is ‘better’. If you want to make videos then DVD is the obvious choice. CD can do video CDs, but quality and capacity are lower. If you are doing backups then DVD will be better if you need to do backups of more than a gig. A blank DVD is about twice the cost of a blank CD (for quality brands) but the DVD holds 8 times, so it’s cheaper per megabyte. Also you’ll have less swapping of the discs if you have lots to back up.

If you have a modest amount of data or want to make Audio CDs then CD is a better choice than DVD. However, I would suggest a USB flash drive for small amounts of data backups or transportation and an MP3 player instead of making Audio CDs.

Thanks for the info. I have a related Q:

If I copy mp3 music onto a DVD, can any CD player play it back?

If you use a special program to convert the mp3s into DVD-Audio, and play it in a DVD player, sure. But no way a CD player will read a DVD. Also there is a quirk with many DVD players that can play mp3 CDs but cannot play mp3 DVDs, so watch out for that. There are many CD players that can play mp3 CDs now, but often the user interface is not as good as a regular mp3 player.

If you are looking to buy a writeable drive then get a DVD writer because it cost only a little more than a CD burner. DVD burner can write both CD/CDRW/DVDRW/DVD/whatever. Also mp3 is not a replacement of CD because mp3 is a lossy audio conversion, that means sound quality is degraded when the sound is converted into mp3. Maybe most people can’t tell but if you take a mp3 file and convert it into another lossy format the quality loss will be noticable.

Use a higher bit rate like 192-256kbps for encoding mp3s and I doubt 99% of people will be able to tell the difference. Heck, most people think 128kbps sounds great which sounds like sandpaper to me, but I’m hard pressed to hear any difference in higher bit rate encodings. (I currently use 192kbps AAC format.)