Su "elected" as new DPP chairperson

Regarding today’s lead headline in the Taipei Times:

“Su elected as new DPP chairperson”

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003221657

Some relevant quotes:

“The DPP is the only party in Taiwan that has its chairman directly elected by its members,” Su said after being elected. “The significance of today’s election … is that party members carried out their democratic rights through the party’s democratic mechanism.”

Only a democratic party will stick to democratic values and defend them, Su said.

“Only the party which defends democracy can make people become the real master of their nation,” He added.

…and first lady Wu Shu-jen…
Noting that casting ballots is an obligation for every party member, the first lady called for a high turnout to support Su.

Yes, it all sounds wonderful, as long you don’t notice the first paragraph in the article:

As the sole candidate for the ruling party’s chairmanship by-election, Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Tseng-chang was elected the chairman of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday with a higher-than-expected turnout of 19.73 percent.

So that’s democracy in action. Chen Shuibian chooses his friend to be the sole candidate for the job and a big “election” is held.

I’m anxious to hear how this is any different from the KMT.

Even my wife, who is pan-green to the core, is disgusted by this.

happy Monday,
DB

:laughing: :bravo:

No comment except for this:

“The tragedy of the world is that men have given first class loyalty to second class causes and these causes have betrayed them.” – Lynn Harold Hough

Su’s victory is a triumph. Our President needs people he can trust!

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]So that’s democracy in action. Chen Shuibian chooses his friend to be the sole candidate for the job and a big “election” is held.
I’m anxious to hear how this is any different from the KMT.
Even my wife, who is pan-green to the core, is disgusted by this.
[/quote]

I don’t see any reason to be disgusted. As far as I know, there was nothing preventing other members from entering the race. Why didn’t your wife offer to lead the party?

Well only 19.73% of eligible DDP supporters came out and voted for Su in the DPP one-horse race earlier this year.

True Democracy in action…apathy and indifference.

Su should petition Hu for a congratulation letter as well. :loco:

Seems like everyone is getting them these days.

Whatever happened to that guy who was head of the Communist party on Taiwan? He might have gotten a letter as well.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Well only 19.73% of eligible DDP supporters came out and voted for Su in the DPP one-horse race earlier this year.

True Democracy in action…apathy and indifference.

Su should petition Hu for a congratulation letter as well. :loco:

Seems like everyone is getting them these days.

Whatever happened to that guy who was head of the Communist party on Taiwan? He might have gotten a letter as well.[/quote]

If it was a one-horse race, you don’t need the masses voting. Simple case. I bet you’re severely cross eyed in real life too. Made me laugh when you once said that the Ah-Chung franchise and most of the restaurants in Flushing Mall was opened and owned by people from Shanghai.

Su rocks…He definitely appeals to the masses of Taiwan male voters more than the pansy assed Ma. Hey Su: Chong Chong Chong!

But doesn’t this indicate that the DPP is not as advance as the KMT when it comes to the democratic process. What kind of party has a one man race in this day and age on Taiwan?

If Su has such great appeal, why did less than 20% of his own party come out to vote. Even other parties with one man races get 90+% of the voters out.

But Soong won with 99.19% of his party’s votes. Su won with 19.73% of his party’s votes.

It would seem Soong has quite a bit more political capital with his party than Su has with DPP.

Err … no. Soong got 99% of people who voted. By postal vote. I think it was about 50% turnout rate. The DPP election required people to turn up in person to vote. Not surprising that less people could be bothered to cast their vote in a pointless election in person than via post.

Yeah, because Taipei County is such a paradise compared to Taipei City. Good job, Su! :unamused:

Yeah, because Taipei County is such a paradise compared to Taipei City. Good job, Su! :unamused:[/quote]

Oh, I don’t know. There’s parts of Wulai I consider fairly heavenly…

(And Hobart, will you please desist with the ethnic slur crap? Thank you.)

Thank goodness gay marriages are legal in Taiwan.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]But Soong won with 99.19% of his party’s votes. Su won with 19.73% of his party’s votes.

It would seem Soong has quite a bit more political capital with his party than Su has with DPP.[/quote]

Um…looks like someone needs a refresher course in basic math. 19.73 percent of the DPP voted for Su…and he won X percent (I forgot how much but it is high) of those votes since he was the only one in the race.

Y number of people voted for Soong…and he won with 99.19 percent of those votes. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

How could anyone NOT vote for this man?

I love that photo where Su is wearing the AFRO wig. That guy has such a great sense of humor about his baldness. Also, I don’t think I have ever seen a photo of Su where he isn’t smiling. It is hard not to like a man like that, especially when you compare his smiling mug, to the smug frown of Lien, and the jerk taxi driver face of Soong and the snobbish, distant, upper class fake un-smile of Ma.

Poagao: That is not a fair statement since the % of Tax dollars for the whole country is split almost evenily between Taipei City, Kaohsiung City and the rest of Taiwan. Pretty sick! The last time they tried to change this Pretty Boy Ma had a hissy fit.

Mr. Zhu: I edited out my Waishengren adjective to describe Ma. He is not from Taiwan and that is a fitting description for him. Is WaishengRen now a dirty word? It is definitely politically loaded in favor of the Unificationists and I should never use it, but racist? Compared to Su I will simply refer to Ma as pansy assed, or pretty boy, but I will leave out the WaiShengren part. Everybody knows he is not from Taiwan anyway, so it is not necessary to throw that part in.

[quote=“sandman”]How could anyone NOT vote for this man?

[/quote]

Is the poster in the back suppose to implant the idea this Ronald McDonald character is suppose to have “bright” ideas.