Su says KMT can't grasp genuine democracy

V, the information I posted isn’t wrong. The numbers and company names are from the MOEA. The DPP tried to prove such a claim against TVBS (foreign interest in local media was encouraged under the whole “Asian Operations Center” idea under Lee Teng-hui when TVBS was founded with Era Communications in 1993, but after TVBS started reporting on DPP scandals suddenly it became the enemy), but the DPP failed and the fine was returned.

“TVBSE” TVB Satellite TV Entertainment
Limited, a company incorporated in
Bermuda and a wholly owned
subsidiary of TVB

the above is a quote from the link shrimpcrackers provided. is TVBSE different from TVBS? doesn’t “wholly owned subsidiary of TVB” mean that TVB owns it 100%? Is the information contained in the link wrong? a lie? Aside from who owns it, how do you rate TVBS journalistically?

It must be different, or the information is in error. Or else the government doesn’t have access to it’s own records, doesn’t know about them, or just has incorrect information (which, knowing how the government works, isn’t entirely impossible). Maybe you should alert the GIO of Shrimpcracker’s link; could be they haven’t seen or heard anything about it and might use it to renew their case if it proves their allegations.

As to the journalistic integrity of TVBS, I think it’s overly sensationalist, sloppy, and far too willing to stray from journalistic ideals in order to profit from the resulting increase in ratings. Just like every single other media outlet here, be it supposedly “green” or “blue”. The DPP going after TVBS specifically after the station reported on DPP scandals is hypocrisy and purely political. If the current administration were truly serious about managing the media as it claims, it would go after all of the questionable media practicing rampant in Taiwan throughout the political spectrum, including SET for its Shanghai footage in place of 2/28 footage, all of the sensationalist crap in Next and Apple Daily, not to mention all of the illegal radio stations in and around its political power base in southern Taiwan. But as this is a political game and not about “journalistic integrity”, it turns a blind eye to those abusing the media on its side. Either hold everyone to the same standards or get your hand out of it completely. You can’t have it both ways.

SET had to pay 1M for using wrong footage (which in the end, only proved to be misused, not that the fact didn’t occur). TVBS had to pay 1M for creating a sensationalist story that could have cause public anxiety (not everyone can see armed Mafia guys in the TV these days, can we).

This is the way Taiwan is. TVBS is far too powerful because of the amount of ratings they have on the pan-blue camp. Of course, the quality of their journalist is below par, even when making reports like saying “more than 30%” and showing a figure around 29.x%. Also, their polls are strangely always good for the KMT…

can anyone is taiwan pass this memo along to the gov’t department poagao suggested?

I’m sure the people in office would find a blog and a blog that is trying to be an encyclopedia so credible.
Oh right CSB is in office, I guess facts don’t even matter then…

Actually they know /should/ about it. Why it doesn’t matter and how it got overturned is still quite a mystery. More links:

asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-e … ntid=32510
bangkokpost.com/breaking_new … p?id=59147

[quote=“Bangkok Post”]TVBS is registered as the Liann Yee Production Co., of which the Oriental Production Co. is the main shareholder. But Oriental Production’s funding comes from Hong Kong’s Television Broadcasts Ltd. (TVB) and the British Bermuda Production Co. TVBS said it is 53-per-cent owned by the local Oriental Television and 47 per cent owned by British Bermuda - believed to be a reinvested company of Hong Kong’s TVB. The Information Office said it suspected Oriental Television is only a company on paper, but TVBS denied the allegation.
[/quote]

But even besides that, given that TVBS-G, other than its news channels, basically only shows really Pan Blue people (Chiu Yi anyone) or stuff from TVB anyway… its almost a given who runs things. Add that the often refer to China as the Mainland. I’m not advocating that TVBS be banned from Taiwan however, I’m just saying that its pretty damned obvious who runs things in TVBS.

No one is denying that. Taiwan’s journalistic standards are shoddy at best.