Subaru Outback in Taiwan?

Is there a local version of these available?

subaru.com.au/explore/outback/

Haven’t seen these here. Have seen one or two Foresters though. Me want Forester but me gots no money. :frowning:

No. The Outback is not imported, nor was it ever assembled here. The Outback is based on the Legacy platform, but with different interior, features and longer travel suspension. Note that the Outback Sport is simply an Impreza wagon with similar changes, but it’s still the Impreza platform. The larger Forester is also based off the Impreza, but with a different body shape. Roughly speaking, here’s what is on the market:

'91~'93 Legacy sedan, 2.2 liter normally aspirated. Import. Common
'91~'93 Legacy sedan, 2.2 liter turbo. Import. Rare as rocking horse poop.
'91~'93 Legacy wagon, 2.2 liter normally aspirated. Import. Rare
'99~'00 Legacy sedan, 2.5 liter normally aspirated. Import. Rare
'97~'98 Impreza Outback Sport wagon, 2.2 liter normally aspirated. Import. Common-ish.
'97~'98 Impreza GT sedan/wagon, 2.0 turbo. Import. Rare.
'98~'01 Impreza GT sedan/wagon, 2.0 turbo. Domestic. Common.
'91~'93 Impreza sedan/wagon, 1.6 liter normally aspirated, FWD. Very rare.
'98~'01 Impreza sedan/wagon, 1.8 normally aspirated. Domestic. Common.
'02~'04 Impreza WRX sedan, 2.0 turbo. Import. Rare.
'05 Impreza WRX sedan/wagon, 2.0 turbo. Import. Rare.
'05 Impreza WRX STi sedan, 2.0 turbo. Import. Rare.
'01~'04 Forester XS wagon, 2.5 normally aspirated. Import. Common.
'05 Forester XT wagon, 2.0 turbo. Import. Common.

IIWY I’d either hunt down an Outback Sport, or get a good domestic GT wagon and retrofit the OBS suspension package.

thx for that mate. i quite like the imprezzas myself and though ti was clutching at straws for the outback to be in TW.

my only concern regarding an imprezza wagon would be the fact they would be driven into the ground? opinions, thoughts?

[quote=“AWOL”]
my only concern regarding an imprezza wagon would be the fact they would be driven into the ground? opinions, thoughts?[/quote]Well, the typical owner profile for the GTs is basically scooterpunk with slightly more generous parents… not the sort of person I’d trust with a 220ps turbocharged automobile with AWD. There are some nice ones on the lots, but you need a good eye to spot the wrecked and bashed straight ones. Any sign of aftermarket parts and you should back off. Everyone thinks they can just keep turning the boost up and do no supporting mods. :unamused:
OTOH, the nuskool WRX owner tends to be much more mature. Too bad they only started importing the wagons this year.
The Taiwanese just don’t understand the concept of the touring wagon. :unamused:

Most of the Outback Sports I’ve seen out there have been in very good shape actually. It’s pretty hard to drive a Suby into the ground. It usually takes gross negligence or a hard collision to kill the Farmer’s Ferrari. :wink:
The Foresters are usually well looked after or squashed flat, one or the other.

awesome… so for a few beers you want to take me round the lots?

If I have time I guess I could. Or there is a guy I know in Taipei who might be able to hook you up. He has a shop, a really sweet GT, and knows all the tricks…
PM me for a phone #.