Submitted for your approval: Tentative East Coast Itinerary

Hi @jmward that’s quite the write up, glad the forums have been useful in your planning!

I’ll try to give as much feedback as I can, but I’ve actually never gone down the east coast myself, I may employ my buddy @okonomiyaki to help since he just did his tour a few months back.

You will love going through the gorge on the bike. Here’s some things to keep in mind:

• It’s all uphill (with one 1km downhill right before the Bilu Tree)
  • There’s only ONE convenient store on this route at Tian Xiang visitor’s center and is also the only place to refill water. Bring extra or ration your food/water if you plan on completing the entire climb.
  • I would suggest saving battery power in your front and rear lights. If you plan on descending, you may need it for the ride down. The road has NO street lights and has A LOT of narrow and blind corners.
  • Start (really) early if you want to get to the top. If you’re waking up and the sun is already up past the horizon, it’s already late.
  • It may be a bit warm when you start in the morning, but it will drop in temp once you get to the top. Bring some extra layers and something windproof for the descent.
  • Give yourself and your bike a break from descending. Your pads may heat up and you will be mentally/physically tired from the climb up.
  • If you don’t plan on going all the way up to the peak, a nice alternative is to ride up to Tian Xiang and head back down. At a leisure pace, this should take you around 3-4 hours round trip from the gorge entrance.

Here’s some stats:

• You will be ascending one of the only climbs in the world that takes you from sea level to above 3000m elvation on ONE road.
  • From the gorge entrance, it’s roughly 85km with an average of 6% grade.
  • The last 15km from Da Yu Ling to the peak the average gradient shoots up to something ridiculous that I can’t really even comment on how hard it is. The ability to not get off your bike and walk is a feat by itself.
  • At full pace, with support along the way and a lot of stopping in the last 10km, it took me 7hr45m to reach the top (He Huan Shan aka Wuling Peak).

For places to have a beer or meet others in transit in Hualien, check out this thread. @marasan is also familiar with the area.

3 Likes