Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

I went to get a meatball sub from subway the other day. I was told that they now limit the amount of toppings on a meatball sub to 2. Isn’t that one of the main reasons why you would have a sub.

They said because of the picture on the wall there is no vegetables on a sub. As someone who used to work at a subway, this is just plain stupid.

I hate the scr-- the consumer mentality. Sad thing is…the restaurant always loses back.

It seems some subways go their own way. There’s one in Yonghe that is charging half price for refills now.

Subway restaurants must offer all vegetables on all sandwiches. The default for meatball is without any vegetables, but customers can still add all the standard vegetables for no additional charge.

Subway restaurants are also not allowed to charge for refills on fountain drinks.

[quote=“jlick”]Subway restaurants must offer all vegetables on all sandwiches. The default for meatball is without any vegetables, but customers can still add all the standard vegetables for no additional charge.

Subway restaurants are also not allowed to charge for refills on fountain drinks.[/quote]
I’m glad they have standards. The one in Yonghe tried charging for refills, but I notice that they have that announcement taped over now.

I got the BLT special on Friday and was tempted to just get the two title veggies, but I got the others anyway. Delish!

Seems that Subway shops in Taiwan are now only putting one triangle of cheese (instead of the usual two) on a 6-inch sub. That’s a pretty large reduction considering that one triangle barely even covers half of the sandwich.

Can anyone imagine ordering a cheeseburger and being informed that only half of the burger will come with cheese? That’s essentially what Subway in Taiwan has done.

A sign on the counter stated that this policy is in effect at all the Subways in Taiwan, so I assume it wasn’t just the one store that I stopped into. I ended up giving Subway a miss, and won’t be back until this ridiculous “cutting the cheese” policy is rescinded.

I’ve also sent a complaint to Subway’s headquarters. We’ll see what kind of reply I get back. This kind of tactic would never go down with customers in the U.S. It’d be a shame if an American franchise is allowing lowered standards only at its international locations.

I’ll be in Subway tomorrow. I’ll order my usual 12-inch one but I won’t refuse it until they’ve already made it and are about to wrap it. I’ll show THOSE bastards!

They’ll just point at the sign and ask you for your NT$150. Caveat emptor and all that.

I just had a sandwich today and didn’t notice how much cheese they put on. If it really is one tiny triangle for one 6", that’s f*ing ridiculous. It’s been a running joke already about how Subway skimps on cheese and their weird overlapping pattern thing…

Oh shit, I just spent 2 minutes bitching about CHEESE.

It is crappy, but I would much rather still eat it with less cheese than see it go belly-up like Wecare did because of the high cost of dairy products…

I noticed that at my neighborhood Subway too. I also will be giving it a miss until they rectify things. I was actually quite surprised they did this. Very bush-league move. Their reasoning as listed on the notice is pretty lame too, IMO.

I always order without the cheese anyway.

Aren’t there a couple of Forumosans who own Subways? I would like to hear their take on this move.

Well, I’m not writing an excuse for them, I eat there so rarely that I don’t feel competent to comment at all, BUT you must have heard or noticed yourself, that things (especially food) got more expensive recently. Go to your local bakery store and see one of the following:
(1) almost all breads became smaller or
(2) more expensive or
(3) both
because the price of flour went up like nuts.
Subway sandwiches are made of flour as well, so they also do one of the following:
(1) bread becomes smaller or
(2) more expensive or
(3) both or
(4) they skim on other ingredients.
Now, since a 12" is still a 12 " (it didn’t get smaller, did it?) and the prices are the same, so they do (4): skim on the ingredient side, and that’s what you (we) are experiencing. IOW I don’t blame them for less cheese, I blame them for not having the courage and raise their prices. Now you get a less tasty sandwich for the same money and that’s what pisses people off. If they’d just say or write on the counter: Sorry, prices for this, this and this went up by …%, we feel pressured to raise the price of our products by …% as well, I think any cool mind would understand it.
I do. :blush:

Norbert

I read the notice today. They say the price of cheese went up 40% because of drought in Austrailia and the increased use of land in the US for ethanol production. Can’t they just make cheese out of ethanol? They said it was a temporary thing.

More on that (food inflation) here:

biz.yahoo.com/ap/080414/inflation_squeeze.html

True. Given the choice of making it more expensive or EVEN shittier (if that were possible), they go with making it even shittier.
Those weird, wacky Taiwanese!

[quote=“Laolu”]If they’d just say or write on the counter: Sorry, prices for this, this and this went up by …%, we feel pressured to raise the price of our products by …% as well, I think any cool mind would understand it.
I do. :blush: [/quote]
It’a no-win situation for the restaurant, I am convinced many people would bitch about raising prices even it’s explained.
As I understand it they are announcing why they cut the cheese, so it’s not like people are being cheated.

That being said can you pay for additional toppings? In that case you have at least a choice - same price sandwich with less cheese, or higher price with more cheese.

That’s why they use human hair to make bread

http://www.albalagh.net/halal/col2.shtml

Soelent Green is People!

I’ll have a back hair sandwich,hold the cheese and dandruff.

The other day, my sweetie asked the ‘sandwich artist’ for a bit more green pepper on the sandwich and was told, “No, there’s enough.” So much for having it your way.

THAT’S when you walk. I got that on the one at Dunhua/Chunghsiao froom the actual laoban, who refused to give me more than 4 fragments of olives.
“Fine” says I. “Forget it. There’s a Subway just up the street on Changan – I’ll take my business there.”
It seems to be Subway policy, at least in Taiwan – nickel and dime the customer until you disappear up your own arsehole. Makes me sick.