Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

Well I was shocked to see the Subway guys skimping on the cheese for my 180NT$ Italian BMT . Before I figured out what was happening by going between reading something about Oz, and asking if I could get my Sub with the normal amout of cheese, it had already gone halfway down the counter and gave up the chase.

But not as surpising as 12 pages on the subject herre !! I swear I thought I would be the first one. But nice to know I can pay an extra 20 NT$ to get the sub back to normal.

How much is this cheese ? I mean itā€™s like two halfs , so one slice. 2 NT$ , 3 maybe , someone on the inside should let us know, looks like a deliberate ploy to sell up the cheese. Was looking on a US site, they charge 25 cents for double cheese on a 6" , which translates to less than 10 NT$ .

Here was a consumerist artice on the laying of triangles in Subway lefthandedtoons.com/blog/200 ā€¦ y-madness/ If only they knew how it was being applied here. (Note that double cheese in that picture (4 triangles on a foot long), 40p, is 2 slices. 1 slice 20p, again around 10NT$) .

Is it real cheese, or is it processed ā€˜cheese foodā€™ substitute? If the latter, why are you calling it cheese? Just askinā€™.

I agree with Buttercup that thereā€™s lots of good local food in Taiwan, but Iā€™m also glad there are Subway restaurants here. Their sandwiches remind me of Louisiana poboy sandwiches. Also, in my hometown there used to be an Italian grocery (I donā€™t know, maybe itā€™s still there) that made, among other things, sandwiches similar to the BMT.

This is a good question. may I refer to it as yellow topping. Which doesnt top much of my bread. I had to supress a laugh a i looked at the pathetic sight of two yellow toppings covering about a tenth of the sandwich. Why not reduce them to the size of postage stamps, but because they are tasteless you probebly wont guess where they are hidden anyway.

But , 20NT$ for a Slice. RIP OFF!!!@#$%

Hey! This cheese skipping even applies to the Steak and Cheese sub? wtf? Why not be honest and just call it a Steak sub? :fume:

That little slice of cheese has to travel a long way to make it onto your sandwich here in Taipeiā€¦not a criticism, just an observation.

That little slice of cheese has to travel a long way to make it onto your sandwich here in Taipeiā€¦not a criticism, just an observation.[/quote]

subwaydipasqua.com/other.php Have a look what they charge. 20c for 6" and 40c for the 12" . Am I wrong that the prices here are 20NT for 6" 40NT for a 12" ? Thats like triple the charge man!!!

Dumbest marketingā€¦ever!!

McDonaldā€™s hamburger is 29NT. The cheeseburger is 39NT. Thatā€™s 10NT for a slice of cheese.

I am going to open a Somali restaurant in Taipei where basic grains will be handed out FREE to the seemingly large cheapo segment of the expat population that now dominates a thread about restaurants.

BroonAid

[quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]I am going to open a Somali restaurant in Taipei where basic grains will be handed out FREE to the seemingly large cheapo segment of the expat population that now dominates a thread about restaurants.

BroonAid[/quote]

Hey man, I feel Subway acted dishonestly, Im not after anything, just felt cheated, I spent 180 for my sub, which I expected to be done a certain way, and before I could find out what was going on it was wrapped. But I didnt enjoy it. I wont be going back.

Stoopid business idea. If they wanted to save money, get rid of the stamps for free sandwiches like the rest of the world.

[quote=ā€œMickā€][quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]I am going to open a Somali restaurant in Taipei where basic grains will be handed out FREE to the seemingly large cheapo segment of the expat population that now dominates a thread about restaurants.

BroonAid[/quote]

Hey man, I feel Subway acted dishonestly, Iā€™m not after anything, just felt cheated, I spent 180 for my sub, which I expected to be done a certain way, and before I could find out what was going on it was wrapped. But I didnt enjoy it. I wont be going back.

Stoopid business idea. If they wanted to save money, get rid of the stamps for free sandwiches like the rest of the world.[/quote]

I really donā€™t care. Man.

BroonAmbivalent

Granted, it is very expensive. I assume that Subway, like many western food franchises here in Asia are contractually bound to purchasing product from the parent company and then having to foot the bill for transport and delivery. Considering the shelf life of a ā€œfreshā€ product like cheese, it is probably flown in. The cost of that one slice of cheese goes up pretty quick when you factor all of this inā€¦Iā€™m sure a lot of franchisees would rather source their cheese locally, but they probably canā€™t. :idunno:

[quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]I am going to open a Somali restaurant in Taipei where basic grains will be handed out FREE to the seemingly large cheapo segment of the expat population that now dominates a thread about restaurants.

BroonAid[/quote]

I know of a local estabishment that offers a very decent Indian curry with a heaping mound of basic grains for a very reasonable price! :wink:

[quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]

BroonAmbivalent[/quote]

Well dude, perhaps you dont mind when people ask you to bend over for them so they can screw you in the extras.

[quote=ā€œMickā€][quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]

BroonAmbivalent[/quote]

Well dude, perhaps you dont mind when people ask you to bend over for them so they can screw you in the extras.[/quote]

Can you give me the origin (etymologically speaking) of that crap word ā€œdudeā€ which you, flying the British flag should be ashamed of adopting. Or maybe you are only 20 years old and think it is ā€œcoolā€? Dude. Keep going. Wind yourself up over a bloody sandwich. Or make your own with as much cheese as you want.

Today had three fish and one prawn taco for US$4 and added as much extra stuff as I wanted. Ate it under a tree, in the shade on a dusty street corner. Drank a can of Tecate in the car on the way back knowing that I had a full stomach and the cops didnā€™t care and could be paid off if necessary.

Itā€™s great in southern, southern California.

BroonAvenida

[quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]
Can you give me the origin (etymologically speaking) of that crap word ā€œdudeā€ which you, flying the British flag should be ashamed of adopting. Or maybe you are only 20 years old and think it is ā€œcoolā€? Dude. Keep going. Wind yourself up over a bloody sandwich. Or make your own with as much cheese as you want.

Today had three fish and one prawn taco for US$4 and added as much extra stuff as I wanted. Ate it under a tree, in the shade on a dusty street corner. Drank a can of Tecate in the car on the way back knowing that I had a full stomach and the cops didnā€™t care and could be paid off if necessary.

BroonAvenida[/quote]

:laughing: I am very envious of your southern, Southern Californian cusine and I plead guilty to adapting American words and phrases. I actually went to look up ā€œdudeā€, I confess I had no idea of the etymology.

[quote=ā€œMickā€][quote=ā€œBroonAleā€]

BroonAvenida[/quote]

:laughing: I am very envious of your southern, Southern Californian cusine and I plead guilty to adapting American words and phrases. I actually went to look up ā€œdudeā€, I confess I had no idea of the etymology.[/quote]

Well, at least you now know that it is a stupid Americanism that should be avoided. No hard feelings and good luck with your quest for the perfect sarnie.

Buenos tardes.

BroonAmigo

BroonAtlasChallenged -

More correctly that would be ā€˜Baja California.ā€™

La Mordida doesnā€™t work so well to the north of the borderā€¦Amigo.

If thatā€™s true than their pooboy sandwich was nothing to be proud about ā€¦

I doubt that ā€¦ if it was a real Italian he probably used real bread ā€¦

[quote=ā€œcitizen kā€]
Granted, it is very expensive. I assume that Subway, like many western food franchises here in Asia are contractually bound to purchasing product from the parent company and then having to foot the bill for transport and delivery. Considering the shelf life of a ā€œfreshā€ product like cheese, it is probably flown in. The cost of that one slice of cheese goes up pretty quick when you factor all of this inā€¦Iā€™m sure a lot of franchisees would rather source their cheese locally, but they probably canā€™t. :idunno:[/quote]

This is not ā€˜freshā€™ cheese ā€¦ this kind of ā€˜cheeseā€™ will keep three weeks on your dry food shelf in room temp. and more than a year in your fridge at 4C ā€¦ each slice is wrapped in plastic and the sodium content is very high, as is the fat ā€¦

You know ā€¦ Gouda needs three to six months ripening to get the label ā€˜oldā€™ Gouda and when you have it in your fridge you can keep it months when wrapped properly ā€¦ and no, not by the slice but by the chunk ā€¦ so, cheese is not that difficult to keep and turn around in Subway stores.