Subway Restaurants in Taiwan

The new olive & pickles thing is worldwide, not specific to Taiwan. The reason is that many countries are regulating or planning to regulate the sodium content of food at chain restaurants. The olives and pickles are high-sodium items, so Subway has removed them from the standard formula to comply with these regulations. These items will still be available on request at no charge.

Premium sauces are also no longer an extra-charge item in Taiwan. If any restaurants are still charging for this, please notify the main office. The phone number is on the napkin and the person answering the phones speaks English.

The pickles deal seems not to apply to breakfast subs. I asked for some on mine today and the shiao-jie told me I couldn’t have…

The Subway just round the corner from Qizhang MRT (Green Line).

I usually order 1 x 12" veggie sandwich. But recently I noticed they cut the bread into 2 x 6" BEFORE making the sandwich. Why would they do this? It takes them longer to make 2 smaller sandwiches than 1 one bigger one, but maybe it costs them less in fillings :ponder:

Actually it is a common request from customers to cut the bread first for 12" Veggie orders, due to concerns that the knife used for cutting after is also used to cut meat sandwiches.

Wow! They must have a serious sense of taste to pick up the minuscule flavour of meat on their sarnies.

It’s like the Jews … can’t cook with dairy in the meat kitchen …

The best Subway to get a sub at is the one by DaPingLin MRT. The service is just excellent. Most of the staff speak decent English and can understand your order completely. They also are not stingy when adding ingredients. I always get what I want when I’m there, unlike the one in Shihlin at the intersection of Zhongshan and Zhongzhen road. They are so stingy with the ingredients. I can’t get anything extra there.

I ate there on Thursday, I was only in the neighborhood because I wanted to go to FedEx. (I got a to go order.) I thought it was very nice. They even asked me if I wanted extra cheese.

Worst Subways have got to be the one on Aigou across from CKS – I’m yet to even decently made bread there – and the absolute disaster in the Carrefour behind Miramar. :noway: After that? The pair near Taida, owned by the same cheap idiot whose idea of napkins is nailing a roll of the cheapest ass wipe to the wall.

The ones on the business card… they belong to the cheap bastard.

Best Subways? Nangang MRT, Jinshan, and the one on Neihu Lu near Xihu MRT. Only problems I ever have in those three is with new spaced out hires, or old hands who consistently scrimp on the green peppers, only to bury the sandwich in them when asked for ‘a little more’.

I eat at jlick’s branch on Minquan E. Rd. quite frequently. I have always had good, friendly service and I always get the exact order I want. :thumbsup:

The one in Dapingling and the one in Qizhang are both owned by the same person it seems and they even have a stamp card…
The new one near the computer market (in the Rainbow something building a bit further down the road) is interesting… it’s usually an older woman working there that doesn’t speak any English, but I haven’t had any major issues apart from the fact that she puts so much lettuce in the sandwiches that they’re almost impossible to eat and then drenches them in dressing (which isn’t really a bad thing).
The tiny one across the road from the main station (inside the building where they sell loads of notebooks and stuff) is crap, they don’t seem to stock most things and the service was crap. The on near Bo Ai road is good though.

The one at Nanjing E road MRT is decent but they need to change the onions more. They sometimes taste old. Like they were chopped the day before and they are serving them today. Too strong tasting, not fresh.

Last time I went there I ordered double meat and they ran out of meat. So the double meat was really not double meat because the last slices he put on from the last batch were like 1/4 the size of the normal ones. I was annoyed. What a cheap ass. Give me double meat. Don’t charge me for double meat and then scrimp because your giving me the end of the last batch.

I don’t know. That Subway near the flower market on Hsinyi in Taipei kind of sucks. Never seen anything like it in the world where the standard is pretty will set. The employees are great, but seems they’ve been directed to put the least amount of veggies on a sub that they can.

Tango, Subway’s policy is to add more veggies on customer request.
If a franchisee is failing to do so, you can report it to the company on their website.
http://www.subway.com/Applications/CustService/frmCustomerService.aspx

I have a friend that owns a Subway in Yong-he, and he says when he took it over, the staff had a trick for extending the life of products. What to do when those hard-to-sell Italian cold-cuts reach their “best before” date? Simple, re-bag 'em and re-label 'em. He put an end to that; but beware of buying less popular items in other Subways for that reason.

Thank you all for posting your comments!! It gives me a lot of things to watch out for.
As for rebagging and relabeling out of date product, if I catch my staff doing such, for me that is grounds for immediate termination, but I need to check the labor laws. I won’t put health and safety above a profit.
I agree with the poster about the onions, they can turn rather quickly, so I will have to be careful about that.

The law here is pretty good about allowing immediate termination for cause. See Labor Standards Act, Article 12: laws.cla.gov.tw/eng/flaw/flawdat … d=FL014930

Jlick, Thanks for the link. Glad they have it in English, the less I bother the long haired dictionary, the better.

Today is buy one, get one extra free at Dapinglin.

No personal interest here, just showing my support to businesses affected by the MRT’s construction.

Tango, Subway’s policy is to add more veggies on customer request.
If a franchisee is failing to do so, you can report it to the company on their website.
http://www.subway.com/Applications/CustService/frmCustomerService.aspx[/quote]

Thanks saddletramp. Gotta have them veggies.