Success Publications - Yea or Nay?

What do you think of Success Publications?

• Love it
  • Hate it
  • Who cares
  • More of the same
  • Any book will do - why bother with these ones
  • It’s ok
  • Where do I get them?

0 voters

Here is another publisher (from Singapore) trying to make its way into the English education market in Taiwan. Apparently they are the biggest in Singapore, if that means anything.

Take a look at the catalogue especially forkindergarten and elementary school stuff Paying attention to pages 8 - 10. The reader stuff is just a btw.

The big sell for these guys is on G.E.P.T preparation. Particular emphasis is placed on their English Preparation for Reading and Writing series which has a Conversation book to accompany it.

It is planned for Taiwan somewhat different from the Singapore website as Taiwanese students English level is no where near the same as the students in Singapore.

No singing or dancing. Actually the CD and CD Rom are kind of boring.
But, the no singing or dancing bit is very different from Taiwan style English courses.

Take a look and post your comments here.

All, not even most, Singaporean educational materials are written in British English, have little or no reference to the EFL Taiwan learning environment due to content and levels, they are didactic, and above all, highly uncreative (as Singaporean education is).

Have just spent the latter part of this summer working with an editorial team to revise a dictionary project that was originally published in Singapore. I would not recommend any Singaporean materials unless they’ve been revised entirely by local publishers, and even then, there’ll be some problems for usage.

Thanks Alien that certainly has given me something to think about.

[quote=“Alien”]All, not even most, Singaporean educational materials are written in British English, have little or no reference to the EFL Taiwan learning environment due to content and levels, they are didactic, and above all, highly uncreative (as Singaporean education is).

Have just spent the latter part of this summer working with an editorial team to revise a dictionary project that was originally published in Singapore. I would not recommend any Singaporean materials unless they’ve been revised entirely by local publishers, and even then, there’ll be some problems for usage.[/quote]

It appears that the spelling is American English, at least for these materials.

You sure do have a point there. The content for Elementary and Kindergarten levels is ok, just ok. The levels would make things a little difficult to work out a good curriculum.

Bland, and repetitive too.

These have been reviewed by local publishers, however I am not impressed with the standard of review. The Cd’s and other supporting materials are also from Singapore and therefore come with Singapore English all through it. The sound, it hurts my ears just listening to it.

That all being said, it is useable. I have been “stuck” with it myself and it looks like I’ll be having to use it for the next three years. You see, the three kindergartens that I work in with are all using it, so, if I want students to come to my language school I need to use this material. At least for three years, then after that I can push for a change.

The material was selected because of the fact we are in a small town. There is a Joy, Hess, Sesame Street, Kid Castle, International Village, Crown (now gone), Jordan (now gone but destroyed the name), Wen Zao, and several other no brand schools in town. There is a total of 24 Language schools in a town of 70,000 people.

I know that the material was selected because it could continue right up to junior high school level. The main goal of all this seems to be to pass GEPT.

Usage, it’s ok, but you sure do have to play with the levels a lot and come up with your own creative stuff.

I have been in contact, not with the distributors here, but with the company in Singapore about some of these issues and they appear to be very receptive as they are really trying to get into the Taiwan / China market.

Why, if I am already using the stuff, did I make this thread?
Good question. I wanted to find out what others think and find any other weak areas in the system that I should try to fix.
I also wanted to find anyone else out there who has stumbled accross the system.

bassman,

What about the cost?

[quote=“Durins Bane”]bassman,

What about the cost?[/quote]

The cost!!!

The books are expensive. However, with the price mark ups that chain schools put on their books it is still competitive. The additional materials such as CD roms are expensive at about $400NT each.

My partner and the kindergartens just had to have a “name” to use and a “brand” to make. They were afraid of the schools that surrounded us in such a small town. What’s more there is another BIG American school going to hit town next year. We will go through some big changes then.

Catching students from the kindergartens to follow a system right through was part of the reason why this system was selected.

I have to admit, along with my team, to have spotted the problems a little too late. However, it is working quite well and we are doing a little better than the Kid Castle that just opened. Now if I could get my adult classes rolling a little better.

Bassman,

Get to the point where schools like Kid Castle don’t even register on your “competition radar”.

Only one block of English schools all packed together.
Our little stretch is 3 schools all in a row. Kid Castle (with An Qin Ban), Alpha (small but popular) and me, Mark’s English.
Just 1 minutes walk away, Hess.
2 minutes by scooter - Joy.
Licencing in this town packs every school together because that’s where the suitable buildings are. The parents jump from one school to the next.

But, I am working towards getting them off my competition radar, or off the planet, whatever comes first :wink:

[quote=“Bassman”]Only one block of English schools all packed together.
Our little stretch is 3 schools all in a row. Kid Castle (with An Qin Ban), Alpha (small but popular) and me, Mark’s English.
Just 1 minutes walk away, Hess.
2 minutes by scooter - Joy.
Licencing in this town packs every school together because that’s where the suitable buildings are. The parents jump from one school to the next.

But, I am working towards getting them off my competition radar, or off the planet, whatever comes first :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, that’s the spirit :smiling_imp:

I would look into how KC is running their An Ching classes. That’s where the money is…or at least in my neck of the woods.