Success stories of returning home

[quote=“Tomas”]Well, you’re a practical enough person to make your bed and lie in it without wasting a lot of effort trying to justify your decision or pining away for the life you left behind. I think mature people live exactly where they want (and can afford) to without spending too much time trying to justify their decision to others. One of my favorite authors, Annie Proulx, left New England for Wyoming when she was nearly 60 years old. It wasn’t dramatic, it was just where she wanted to live.

I often chuckle at those who leave Taiwan in a huff and spend lots of time telling everyone how bad it was so that they can feel better about their decision. It is pretty obvious what’s going on. No need to explain yourself to everyone, unless you aren’t too sure of your decision yourself.[/quote]

That’s a left fielder, if I’ve ever seen one. :laughing:

Just to clarify my post to James651, I was giving him advice on what I know. I never left in a huff nor did I spend lots of time telling everyone how bad it was in Taiwan so I can feel better about my decision. I hope that wasn’t directed at me.

I really enjoyed Taiwan. However, I also went there with a 2.5 year time limit in mind. For me, it worked. And now I’m back home. “Success” is subjective. I’m healthy, happy, got a job I enjoy, do volunteer work I love, challenge my body every week, etc.,and the weather is nice and cool for me. So I consider myself successful.

I’m writing this from the perspective of someone who left Taiwan and is back home and so my advice is for someone in the same situation. Given the current nature of my job (small potato HR clerk at a college), I get to see the resumes and candidates that roll in. I’m just passing on what I see in my job on a daily basis. We get quite a number of English teachers from overseas who are looking for a teaching position at our college, actually. And that is why I say you have to upgrade if you want to leave Taiwan. There are so many people going back home, but there are only so many short stint ESL positions available right now.

One positive news though is EVERYWHERE is hiring this year in Canada. Shortage of RCMP and government employees. Lots of people retiring. I have an email for “How to Apply to Government of Canada Jobs” somewhere. They hold sessions every now and then. I’d be happy to pass this along to you if anyone is interested.

I hope I’m not being smug. That is not my intention at all. I pop in once in a while to read a PM and some posts just compel me to write. And hopefully to inspire the OP to make his decision wisely.

Just trying to help.

Take care yallz ballz!

XOXOXO from rainy Vancouver,

You’ll always be a big potato to me, 914.

914 will always be Plain Dwayne to me. I’m glad to hear success stories.

Just to clarify my post to James651, I was giving him advice on what I know. I never left in a huff nor did I spend lots of time telling everyone how bad it was in Taiwan so I can feel better about my decision. I hope that wasn’t directed at me.
[/quote]

914, not directed at you at all. I was referring to the people who don’t seem sure enough of their decision to leave Taiwan and so decide that they must explain everything that is wrong with Taiwan in order to feel better about it. I find it chuckle-worthy.

I don’t see any bitterness or huffiness in any of your posts about life in Taiwan. In fact, I find your posts and DB’s posts on the topic to be an example of how a classy person deals with the decision to move back home. Lo siento.

I think that whatever decision one makes, stay or go, that person has to be at peace with that decision. And I think it is important not to delude oneself that any perceived problems/ills that Taiwan has will just disappear from one’s life if they leave Taiwan. The only thing certain is that one is exchanging one set of things to whine about for another set. I just decided not to whine at all. Well…maybe just a little.

I will say this…I don’t laugh any more. Perhaps it is age creeping up on me…I dunno. I am content here and in many ways happy but it seems that my life has become so complicated that I have stopped seeing the silliness in life. And I think that’s a bummer. But I don’t blame the place but rather myself.

In the end, it’s all good. Except for the friggin zombies…they will always be bad.

To me Durins Bane will always be Hothar, chief dragonmaster of the seventh level of Zoth and slayer of the five-headed Pinchsnake of Zagon.

And the aliens with their anal probes, but that’s another thread.

I ended up back in Oz at the start of last year after living on and off in Taiwan for the best part of a decade. I miss the 'wan, and the in-your-face people I used to know there, but I’m glad I’m not there now. Career was going backwards and I was starting to have some serious identity issues; It was time to go “back home” to see if it really was, well, “home.”

No regrets about returning, though I’d kill to sink cold beer at some skanky road-side noodle place right about now… I’ve got a job that fires my snapzers and enough money coming in to make life affordable and interesting. Now I’m here, the medium-term goal is to have a job/make a job that puts me back in NE Asia for a few months of every year. Letting go of my former life aint so easy and, hopefully, may not be necessary.

A few people have talked about plans - I think the venerable HG kicked off this line of thinking. Couldn’t agree more. My final trip to Taiwan in early 2005 was a bit of a fuck-up really because I didn’t know what I wanted out of it. I was determined not to let this happen upon returning to Oz and made sure I had enough cash in the bank to keep the wolves at bay. I was also keen to get into a job that inspires me, and while I’ve had issues with management in my current gig, I can happily tick that box as well.

And then there was my wife to consider: Gkat was losing the shine in her coat due to the Taipei winters and starting to become another bitter and twisted Western woman living in Asia. Best for everyone to pack our bags.

So that’s the bottom line: fill up your bank account, get strategic about what you want to do job-wise, and ask the misses what she thinks. Chances are the next 2-3 years will be some of the most productive and well considered in your entire life…

Dude! Settle those issues with management fast! You’ve alays been a prickly bugger, right down to the shafts remaining on your head. Don’t blow this one, I’m working on our plan to have you back here dined, wined and feted. Remember?

On the planning thing I did alright on the loot side of the equation, and like you that was primarily because I was once burned badly. But what I didn’t count on was meeting very few people I like. Odd for me because I’m actually fairly easy going.

HG

I’ve been thinking of packing up, going to Africa, buying a land cruiser, traveling and filming my adventure.

I think I’ll call it the “Big Five”, named after having five people in my family and the five big game. Then I’d film a somewhat mocumentary tale of our adventures. Dress the boys up as hunters, put on my Tarzan outfit, have the girls decked out in war paint. I reckon it would be a hit in Taiwan. Most Taiwanese are busting to have an inside view of a multi-ethnic family. What better setting than Africa to play on all the weird and wonderful machinations of the mind.

I’ve been there before and done a similar trip.

You could certainly lie around and eat lots of grass, and there be real tigers! :laughing:

Goddamn, Fox, I reckon that’s you!

HG

I’m checking it out.

Interest rates being what they are in Australia at present I can make a livable income from my term deposits. I’ll still have my editing to bore me through the long evenings under the stars dodging the African tigers.

In fact, you’ve just given me an idea HG. I’ll call it the Big Six, but I’ll have that crossed out with a five written under it 'cause tigers don’t really come from Africa.

I’m thinking of playing the role of some fanciful Steve Urwin who talks it up big time but turns out to be some chicken shit Mr. Bean, but the adventures are all comparable.

Well Steve Irwin and and a brood of little Bindies/Bruces was what I had immediately in mind. Of course the lesson from Steve is to be more Mr Bean than anything else, though. And of course that plays to the Taiwan home crowd. I reckon it’s a winner. Particularly with the wedge back in Oz ticking over and the contacts to keep the dross coming down the satellite line.

HG

I might, when filming the Australian follow up, swim over the sting ray that killed Steve Irwin with a musical accompaniment of: “I’m on the Drug that Killed River Phoenix”

[quote=“Durins Bane”]
I will say this…I don’t laugh any more. Perhaps it is age creeping up on me…I dunno. I am content here and in many ways happy but it seems that my life has become so complicated that I have stopped seeing the silliness in life. And I think that’s a bummer. But I don’t blame the place but rather myself.[/quote]

Something we need to rectify. Mid July. :sunglasses:

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“Durins Bane”]
I will say this…I don’t laugh any more. Perhaps it is age creeping up on me…I dunno. I am content here and in many ways happy but it seems that my life has become so complicated that I have stopped seeing the silliness in life. And I think that’s a bummer. But I don’t blame the place but rather myself.[/quote]

Something we need to rectify. Mid July. :sunglasses:[/quote]

Finally…someone heard my telepathic plea to send some strippers wearing (or not) clown suits with portable jello shot machines strapped to their backs.

Whew, I was almost without hope.

I worked in TW for a year but not as a FT English teacher (more of PT) and I have a degree in Business Admin/Accounting Background so it wasn’t that hard for me to find a job back in the US. It was tough in the beginning being away for so long that I need to polish up my skills and the $$ was def. on the lower scale of the market. Been back for about 4-5 years now and slowly crawling back to the pay scale where I am suppose to be getting.

It’s not easy, I had to move back home w/ my parent for awhile but things will get easier and better!!!

Well it’s been a few months, and I will head back to the US in either December or January irregardless of how the economy and such is. I just can’t keep teaching English here in Taiwan anymore, so I gotta make a change.

I have some money saved, thank god! But I’m still trying to work on a plan of action as I can’t really figure out what I can do with this experience teaching abroad, near fluency in Chinese and a degree in East Asian Studies. For the moment, I don’t have enough funds and the correct circumstances to get back into grad school and/or pursue further schooling.

So I guess I’m in a confusing and perplexing situation right now

:laughing:

:laughing:[/quote]

[i]"keep"[/i]

No need for pretentious gloating. We all make a mistake.