Sudden dismissal from job during probation period

That is assuming much, sin’t it?
Who said I was embarrassed?

If I were you, I’d be.

Out of curiosity what were those people you know who fired during probation fired for? Was it for terrible work or for other reasons, like the one guy I know who I mentioned?

People who got fired for terrible work are never going to admit they got fired for terrible work. They’ll always find some other reason or excuse. Not saying that applies to you, but that’s the reality in most cases.

How much is a catty of cabbage? Are your cabbages sour?

I said fish market…not vege market.

pedant

Everybody knows nobody would be invited to a fish market !

In my experience in Taiwan, the more expensive the car, the worse the driving, and the more venerable and/or famous the company, the worse the employees are treated.

That has not been my experience at all, both for myself and for people I know including expats and locals.
But who knows, maybe my work was really that atrocious. :smirk:

So these people weren’t your colleagues but people you knew outside of work. Have you seen people fired during their probation in your workplace?

Sounds like a terrible place to work. Congratulations, you’re free now.

4 Likes

I agree most people might be like that. If my work had really been so terrible, I would have kept my mouth shut and wouldn’t have bothered to come on forumosa to write about it.

Based on the quality of your writing here, it seems likely that your work was just fine. They didn’t like you for some reason, and that says more about them than you. Just my guess.

Pity the people who still work there, and be glad you’re free.

3 Likes

Had an odd experience recently.
I’m working with a recruiting agency. They gave me about 2.5hours sub work at a buxiban. Anyway at the last class I took the teacher told me time was up and I could go; thought it felt it had gone a bit fast but took her word for it. Checked my phone after heading downstairs and it was 10 minutes early. She had also told me my next class was downstairs but I was pretty sure that was meant to be the last. Asked the lady at the front desk and she said that was it and I could go, and so I went on my merry way.
Well the next day they apparently called my employer and complained that I’d left 10 minutes early. Got a bit of a chiding.
Not a big deal but it irked me. I guess it’s just one of those things working here; all smiles until you turn your back.

A “friend of mine” also interviewed at and was offered a job as an editor at the company OP was let go from and “he” also felt the very negative, almost hostile, vibe of the office and chose to pass on the job. Also, the elevator in that building is slower than a Sogo elevator, and with a line to boot. “My friend” took 10 minutes to get from the lobby to the office there.

Yep, I’m happy to be free and besides the minor shock and embarassment of the whole experience, I’m not losing any sleep over not having the job.

1 Like

Nope.

I agree with this guy.

Your friend was right. I did sense a negative vibe from the start too but I tried to ignore it.
When I came in for my second interview with the manager, I was early so I went into the office (there is no receptionist for the editorial department since the administrative office is on another floor). I asked a Taiwanese staff for the manager I was meeting, and instead of telling me where that person was, she just told me to go sit in the meeting room. I did that and when the manager still hadn’t showed up, I went back into the office and asked an expat staff. He didn’t know that manager I was meeting, but he got up and asked somebody else who pointed me to the person.
I had no issues with any of the other expats but the fact that Taiwanese person refused to help me should have been a warning indicator.

The elevators were damn slow and it was annoying that there were lines for the elevators every morning.

1 Like

Always remember to change “Tom, Dick and Harry” to “Chen, Lin and Wang”.

Isn’t moral of this story: “when in Rome, …”