Suddenly can't use Hinet on one of two PCs (via same ADSL)

Error code 769 has suddenly started coming up when Dragonbabe tries to connect to the internet using Hinet; we’re both patched in through the same Hinet ADSL box and it works fine for me on my computer. Hinet’s 1-800 staff say there’s something wrong with her adapter which connects to the internet, whatever that means. In another call to them, the Hinet person told her to right-click and go to Properties on the computer and look at the hard drive tab and look for Device Manager; there, under
Network Adapters, the person told her to right click on each item and then update the software. Dragonbabe successfully updated the first one, but for the second driver, which already had a yellow exclamation point on it, she was unable to update it – it said the software was missing or somesuch. And she still can’t get online. We have no idea what we’re doing, btw – just blindly following badly given instructions. :help: Anyone have a clue?

Did it work before or is this the first time she tries to connect?

Can you attach a screenshot of My Network Places / Network Connections (that shows the Dial-up connections)?

As well an output of the following:

• Click start and then run
  • Type ‘cmd’ and click OK
  • Type ‘ipconfig /all’
  • Capture text by clicking into the upper left corner, then select Edit, then Mark and highlight the text output
  • Hit Enter to copy
  • Paste as text with CTRL-V

Thanks Rascal,

She’s used HiNet on this computer for months – the problem occurred suddenly for no reason. :idunno:

Here: Don’t know if you read Chinese (sorry, I’m forgetful) but the first says connected, and the second ‘disconnected, firewall’ or somesuch.

[quote]As well an output of the following:

• Click start and then run
  • Type ‘cmd’ and click OK
  • Type ‘ipconfig /all’
  • Capture text by clicking into the upper left corner, then select Edit, then Mark and highlight the text output
  • Hit Enter to copy
  • Paste as text with CTRL-V[/quote]

Well that didn’t produce much text, but here it is:

"Microsoft Windows XP [版本 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

C:\Documents and Settings\user>
"

It seems that the PC or rather Windows “forgot” there is a network adapter card installed, else it would show up in the CMD output (even no IP address has been assigned).

Have you tried to reboot the PC? If not please do so.

If yes check the hardware (Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager) - can you find the network adapter(s)? Click the “+” to see it / all of them.
Does it / any of them have an exclamation mark (on a yellow triangle I think), indicating that there is a problem?

What would be the solution in such a case?

[quote]Have you tried to reboot the PC? If not please do so.
[/quote]

Yeah, that was one of the first things I tried, along with checking the ADSL cables, and rebooting the ADSL device.

[quote]If yes check the hardware (Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager) - can you find the network adapter(s)? Click the “+” to see it / all of them.
Does it / any of them have an exclamation mark (on a yellow triangle I think), indicating that there is a problem?[/quote]

Yes, I did that, as described in the OP, and yes, it had the exclamation mark. We know there’s a problem – we’re just clueless as to what to do next. :help:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]What would be the solution in such a case?

[…]

Yes, I did that, as described in the OP, and yes, it had the exclamation mark. We know there’s a problem – we’re just clueless as to what to do next. :help:[/quote]
You need to re-install the hardware. Can you determine the make and model of the network adapter card? If yes write it down.

Then go to Control Panel - Add Hardware and try to install it. If your make/model is not offered as a choice you must provide the CD with the driver (should have come with the PC when you purchased it).

I think it was SiS 900-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.

Um, her PC is suddenly not recognizing her sound device or her CD drive! And her antivirus just quit too! :astonished: :help: So I don’t think I can reinstall it.

Strange. Maybe time to wipe (format) the harddisc and re-install the operating system? Make a backup of any data if you can (via USB).

Thanks, Rascal – Nam says it looks like the motherboard is failing, so we’re going to send it in for repair since it’s still under warranty.

Same thing happened to me on Sunday morning (yesterday). I kept getting error 769 when trying to connect to the internet.

My network adapter somehow got disabled. To fix it I went to control panel > network connections > right click on local area connections > enable.

It must be a new bug.

Also, my notebook is exhibiting the same symptoms (can’t find sound card and PC-Cillin turns off).

[quote=“elektronisk”]Same thing happened to me on Sunday morning (yesterday). I kept getting error 769 when trying to connect to the internet.

My network adapter somehow got disabled. To fix it I went to control panel > network connections > right click on local area connections > enable.

It must be a new bug.

Also, my notebook is exhibiting the same symptoms (can’t find sound card and PC-Cillin turns off).[/quote]

Yeah, Nam ended up fixing that problem via software controls somehow, but he’s still working on the rest of the problems; might not need a motherboard repair after all. :pray:

I’m wondering why the same thing happened to both of us on the same day. :smiling_imp:

Virus?

Has this problem been fixed? My notebook isn’t recognizing the sound card or the dvd burner now. This is a different computer than the one with the network 769 error.

It is running pc-cillin the nework problem computer is running AVG. Looks like we have the same virus.

and a 2

and a 3!

I’m waiting for clear info from Nam before answering. AFAIK he hasn’t attributed the problems to a virus.

Have any of Dragonbabe’s programs stopped working? It seems really strange that we have had these very similar problems at the same time.

I’m re-installing windows and the other programs now.

:fume: