Suggestions for android phone

in the absence of cheaper or cheap enough iPhones - i’m looking for a cheapish Android - not too shabby - to give my gf who keeps losing hers but needs one to remain in communication with me…

Suggestions much appreciated.

Contract or paying outright/prepay are all ok.

Any ideas?

Since you’re in Taiwan, and Google doesn’t offer the Nexus 4 here… the most convenient option is probably to look for one of the phones from last year, like the Galaxy S3, the HTC One X ot the HTC Butterfly. The Galaxy Note 2 is good and has a huge battery, but ergonomically speaking, may it be too big for her hand. Go with her to some phone stores, if you can, and let her see different models to see which one can she hold more comfortably.

In case you can find it somewhere (I haven’t seen it, but maybe you can find it), check the Motorola RAZR MAXX HD. The battery can last forever (almost) and the specs are not bad at all.

None of those are cheap. :laughing:

Find a lightly used Galaxy SII. It’s still a good phone even after all this time.

What will she be using it for, and does she have a preference when it comes to screen size?

None of those are cheap. :laughing:[/quote]

Cheaper than last year for sure, now that there are replacements! (ok, not yet for the note II). Anyways, the RAZR MAXX HD would be a great option, if he finds it.

None of those are cheap. :laughing:[/quote]

Cheaper than last year for sure, now that there are replacements! (ok, not yet for the note II). Anyways, the RAZR MAXX HD would be a great option, if he finds it.[/quote]
Here in Chiayi, the Galaxy S3 16G is $15,490. The HTC One X is $13,900. The HTC Butterfly is even more expensive than the S3. The Galaxy S2 is $10,900. The op needs to tell us how much he is willing to spend. To me, “cheapish” means around $7,000.

Looking myself. Huawei G330 at $6000 and Xiaomi 2S at $9500 most interesting options I’ve seen.

My wife just uses her phone for the basics; phone calls, a few line messages, emails with the yahoo app and a bit of light browsing. She got a Taiwan Mobile Amazing A2 at the start of the year and she’s very happy with it.

It’s not that fast and the screen is a bit dim, but at 4000nt sim free (will work with other carrier sims), this has got to be one of the best deals anywhere for an android handset.

Some discussion here:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=115774

A radical choice would be to go for the Galaxy Tab 2, which works as a phone, too. At 8000 ntd, it’s very cheap, too. It’s an option who tends to get laughed out of the room, but my girlfriend went for it and she couldn’t be happier. Otoh, she really wanted a tablet and almost never uses the phone function, but she can place calls and be reachable through it, all while enjoying the 8in screen.