Suggestions for Island Tour with my Parents

My parents (who are 61 and 59) are coming to visit at the end of October. I am planning a one week road tour round the island for them, and have been trying to come up with the best itinerary. They have traveled extensively and are very active. They enjoy hiking, but would also like to see some more historical places in Taiwan.

I have come up with the following itinerary, but I am not sure about journey times. Ideally I would like to leave some more time for walking at Hehuanshan or somewhere else at the end of the trip. If anyone has any ideas or could suggests some improvements that would be great. Worried that too much time will be taken up with driving (although the three of us could take turns at the wheel).

Friday AM: Depart Taipei
Friday - Saturday Tarako Gorge, possibly as far as Tianxiang (GF will come with us for the weekend, but has to go back to work on the Monday, so plan is to drop her at Hualian train station on Sunday)
Sunday Fengbin
Monday Taidong
Tuesday Kending/Jialeshui (thinking about the guest house mentioned in this forum) -what’s the road from Taidong to Kending like? How long would it take to drive direct from Fengbin to Kending?
Wednesday Tainan (could skip if too rushed and head straight for the mountains)
Thursday Hehuanshan (or would Alishan/Yushan area be a better choice?)
Friday or Saturday Dahu, Miaoli (to stay with GF’s family)
Monday Depart Taiwan

Thanks everyone!

i remember a similar thing about this last year…do a search of old threads…
to make it short, your plan is way too intense, you can’t do all that…think about driving time alone…i would only do the eastern half of the island if you only have a week. your parents aren’t young, they’ll want to sit in a spot, relax for a while, drink, take in some sightseeing… i did the island thing a few times with my parents, relatives, etc…that pace don’t work…

Thanks,
Found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=97760&hilit=family+tour - with a plan even more intense than mine.

My parents are very fit and active, they won’t have any problem doing a round island tour. And surely driving up and down the east coast will take longer than coming back up the west on freeways.
If the driving is too much, I may take them over the Central Cross from Hualian to Hehuanshan and cut out the south altogether. Could also take in Wuling Farm and Fushoushan Farm
But I would like to get an idea of driving times.

When I first arrived here my parents came to visit and we did virtually the same itinerary as you - only over 2 weeks. If I remember correctly we did this:

Day 1: Departed Taoyaun
Days 1-2: Taroko Gorge
Days 3-4: Taidong
Days 5-7: Kending
Days 8-9: Tainain
Days 10-11: Ali Shan
Day 12: somewhere I can’t remember
Day 13: back to Taoyuan

Tomthorne: How much driving was involved?

Train all the way, apart from the short stretch down to Kending by bus. Actually, I think we did that bit by taxi.

May I suggest you Google Taitung Hostels.com and check out my friends guest house, it’s called SeaArt.
A very beautiful guest house in Du Lan, there will be pictures on his webpage, and make sure you reserve!!
enjoy your trip!!!

I’m sure your folks can keep up, but do they really want a hectic itinerary? If you don’t have at least a couple days free of plans and schedules, you are missing the point of holidays. When my mom comes to visit, I have a few things lined up and a few more in the ‘maybe’ category. We ended up staying around town for some simple stuff like dinner, night markets, taking the dog to the park, playing a board game, relaxing really. This gives you the flexibility and spontaneity that is so lovely with holidays. They may fall in love with Taidong or Hualien and wish to stay an extra day. Hope you have a blast. :slight_smile:

Thanks Sleepingtiger, will check it out.

Can anyone give an indication of approximate driving times?

From Taroko to Taichung you pass by Hehuanshan … just saying. And doing the whole of Taroko is pretty beautiful. Than the way down to Taichung is also nice. Too bad you have to be in Hualian to put your GF on the train.

Depending on when you leave and how you drive, you could stop for lunch in Su’ao fishing port. From Taoyuan you can drive up to Keelung, follow the coast to Yilan, Suao … than down to Taroko.

Driving from Taidong to Kending takes about 3 hours …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]From Taroko to Taichung you pass by Hehuanshan … just saying. And doing the whole of Taroko is pretty beautiful. Than the way down to Taichung is also nice. Too bad you have to be in Hualian to put your GF on the train.

Depending on when you leave and how you drive, you could stop for lunch in Suao fishing port. From Taoyuan you can drive up to Keelung (Jilong), follow the coast to Yilan, Suao … than down to Taroko.

Driving from Taidong to Kending takes about 3 hours …[/quote]

Did that drive before, but in thick fog. Couldn’t see anything.

Could try it again, but would like to get to Taidong/Kending as well. Haven’t driven the highway 11 along the coast before.

Super Hans… you know there no foreigner poets in Dulan.
As for visiting Taitung City, not much to do.

The best beaches are in Dulan. There are only 2 you can swim safely at, due to the powerful rip tides.

May I suggest you Google “Tai[color=#000040]t[/color]ung Hostels”. One of the first listings is SeaArt Hostel. It’s a beautiful place, very unique, and inexpensive. if you like campfires, seeing a million stars at night, nature, this is the place.

The owner Roman can suggest to you numerous places to visit, such as hiking to waterfalls, where to swim, where to eat. It’s really worth it.

You called?

Sorry, don’t get what you mean… :blush:

My folks will be here in a week. What’s the latest on Alishan?

If you are around the coast in the southwest, check out Xiao Liuqiu (spelling?). the little island off of Donggan in PIngtung. It has spectacular snorkeling, has ferry that is OK for a 1 day trip an is easy to get to. If you go there let me know and i can tell you 2 must go places there. You could do green island and such too, but i don’t personally like it as much.

From Kending its about 2-2.5 hours to the entrance to #3 main freeway. From there the west side is easy pickings. From that point about 6 hours to Taipei for us without stopping except for pee breaks.

like Belgian said Taidong to Kenting about 3 hours. actually i find 4 from Taidong city to Kenting beach. but i always take that south highway at night so i drive not too crazy :slight_smile: