Suicide commited via webcam

Webcam suicide

[quote]A South Florida college student killed himself by overdosing on drugs in front of a live online audience as some computer users egged him on, some debated his method, and others tried to talk him out of it.

Abraham Biggs, 19, of Pembroke Pines, died Wednesday at his home from a toxic combination of opiates and benzodiazepine, a drug used to treat insomnia and depression, said Wendy Crane, an investigator with the Broward County medical examiner’s office.

Authorities say the Broward Community College student is not the first person to commit suicide with a webcam rolling.[/quote]

What a lovely little society I live in :cactus:

A British guy jumped to his death while a crowd jeered and shouted ‘Jump! Jump! Jump!’ and videoed it on their cameras, a couple of months back.

It’s shitty that he was so young, but at least he felt no pain; he would have just gone to sleep and not woken up.

One in ten depressives die of suicide. Boys between the ages of 16-25 are the most vulnerable. If there’s someone in your life that’s not doing too well, tell that annoying /depressed / moody / duplicitous / manipulative / addicted / hateful / whining pain in the arse / fuckwit you are there and he doesn’t have to kill himself alone in front of a webcam. They may not thank you for it, but it will sink in on some level. There is treatment and though chances are it won’t work, it will make things easier.

Poor little thing. RIP.

dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne … tream.html

I wonder about that as the Thanksgiving holiday approaches and my annual invitation was revoked because I canceled last year due to a serious flareup with my own manic depression. Some people don’t get depression and some people just don’t want to get it. I tend to think you’re on your own with depression.

Absolutely. I am awful when I’m off on one, and I know it; I’m lazy, mean, defensive, histrionic and argumentative. I’m very very irritable because I can’t bear light, noise or being touched. I accomplish nothing because I am either OCD-ishly obsessive or couldn’t give a shit ADD-ish. I sleep 18 hours a day or not at all, food between 400 and 4000 cals a day. I am a real test of my loved ones’ patience and I know it.

People don’t understand and think I’m behaving badly (they’ll learn to be more gracious and adult about it, when they get sick, as we all do at different times…), or they do and choose to sidestep me because they see themselves as ‘positive thinker’ types and either think I’m not listening to their advice or simply choose to stay out of my way. I deflect all this shit with my wings of steel. I have this blank smile screensaver face which pings the bs right back atcha.

I’m actually fine with the ‘aloneness’ of it. Now I’m older, I just see it as part of myself and roll with it. Getting anxious about it doesn’t help; that’s when you start hurting yourself. But I’m 34, smart, confident, experienced in life; don’t forget how terrifying mental illness can be for kids and support 'em if you can.

Ouch, nama, sorry about that. And fuck 'em; make your own damn party.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Absolutely. I am awful when I’m off on one, and I know it; I’m lazy, mean, defensive, histrionic and argumentative. I’m very very irritable because I can’t bear light, noise or being touched. I accomplish nothing because I am either OCD-ishly obsessive or couldn’t give a shit ADD-ish. I sleep 18 hours a day or not at all, food between 400 and 4000 cals a day. I am a real test of my loved ones’ patience and I know it.

People don’t understand and think I’m behaving badly (they’ll learn to be more gracious and adult about it, when they get sick, as we all do at different times…), or they do and choose to sidestep me because they see themselves as ‘positive thinker’ types and either think I’m not listening to their advice or simply choose to stay out of my way. I deflect all this shit with my wings of steel. I have this blank smile screensaver face which pings the bs right back atcha.

I’m actually fine with the ‘aloneness’ of it. Now I’m older, I just see it as part of myself and roll with it. Getting anxious about it doesn’t help; that’s when you start hurting yourself. But I’m 34, smart, confident, experienced in life; don’t forget how terrifying mental illness can be for kids and support 'em if you can.

Ouch, nama, sorry about that. And fuck 'em; make your own damn party.[/quote]

:roflmao: You get it. I love the part about ADD-ish. Oh so fuckin true. See the thing about depression is, at least with me, it’s brought on by stress. Overload the circuits and you get a surge. For me, spending time with people is important, but it’s difficult to spend time with people who don’t want spend time with you when they are holding on to grudges about not returning phone calls, and stupid shit like that.

The only thing I hate about my depression is the time lost. And the zap of energy. Otherwise, it’s allowed me to move outside of that “box” some never see until they get to the end of the tunnel and realize “oh it was really about relationships and quality of life that CAN"T be bought.”

Materlistic muthaf###kas,but that’s another rant for another day.

What bothers me the most about depression is how some, SOME, people view it as something contagious. Like its the flu? :loco: I just laugh at it all, becuase I swear for God, life is hysterical at times.

okay /rant off. :laughing:

Yeah… ‘Upwards at 45 degrees’. The key is (I start a lot of sentences with ‘The key is…’, as if I have the key to anything!) learning to be tenacious without pushing yourself too hard. Learning to make a tactical retreat when doing almost anything will work against you. Learning to figure out when you are ill and need to recharge, and when you are being lazy and making excuses for yourself. T’aint easy.

‘So many things I could have done - but for the clouds…’

There it is.
We are all islands in the wash, when it comes right down to it.

I like how the kid’s father blames the website (justin.tv) and the users. Like where the hell was dad at the time?

And all the illiterate TV watchers think it’s another good excuse to ban the evil internet.

He was a big boy. His dad was excused from supervising him 24/7.

Certainly the Internet’s not to blame for the kid’s death (it’s just a bunch of wires and circuits or whatever), and it is understandable that some may not have taken him seriously, but clearly there are plenty of pricks in the world and those who egged him on definitely share a large portion of the responsibility.

Yes the kid was depressed and the suicide was ultimately his own choice, BUT anyone who eggs on an obviously depressed person into taking his life is clearly an asshole who needs serious help himself.

Buttercup, you don’t need to kill yourself alone in front of a webcam. I am here.

I’m feeling alittle ornery today, anyone got the actually video link?