Suicide of Bruce Lewis in 2011, any details, relatives want info

Bruce Warren Lewis, age 60, formerly of Beverly and Seattle, lived in Japan for many years and was called the ''Foreign Spiderman" after getting
arrested and jailed there for home robberies all over Tokyo, then deported in 1991 and came to Taiwan with Taiwnese girlfirend and commited suicide in 2011, but few facts out there. other than obit sys he died ‘‘suddenly’’ on Saturday, Aug. 13, 2011 in Taipei, Taiwan.

Relatives in USA want to know more about how he died and what was involved.

salemnews.com/obituaries/x13 … s-60/print

re

Dear Taiwan people,

Do you have time to do a favor ?..It would involve some
research, legwork and possible interviews about an American who committed
suicide in Taipei in Aug. 2011. I think you’d need to have contacts that
could approach news outlets for details.

Seattle reporter

There was no news based on the information you provided.
You may try to contact AIT or the immigration authority to ask around.
Or maybe you can get lucky finding somebody knowing him here.

I would like to help, but am not sure what kind of help you are asking for. Do you want to find out more details about his death? Where are you getting your information? (I never met him, or heard of him before today.)

He apparently also went by the name of Phillip Larrabee, his mother’s maiden name, he used this on blog comments and in Taiwan. maybe you knew Philip Larrabee?

Don’'t know if this is of any importance/help whatsoever, but according to friend who learned cause of his death from American officials there, Bruce also used an alias–Phillip Larrabee (this was his mother’s maiden name). Don’t know which he was using at time of death. quote unqote

First of all, I want to extend my deepest sympathies and condolences to Bruce’s brother and his family, and to all those who knew and loved Bruce.
I do not know why Bruce took his own life. I have only just read the news today, when I googled his name to see where he might be.
I can say this. I knew Bruce when he lived in Boston, Massachusetts. He was a wonderful person. We spent a lot of time together cycling around the city and going to movies or having meals together. He was exceptionally smart, funny with a wry sense of humor, kind, and on top of it all, a strikingly handsome man.
I am broken-hearted to learn of this news.

I just spent a while searching for both names and a slew of related search terms (American, 60, suicide, death, etc.) in both English and Chinese for around the date provided, but none of Taiwan’s news sources have any info at all. That’s strange because it’s exactly the kind of story Apple loves to report on. The only option is to see if any long-time Forumosans have met the guy. Otherwise I would say the obituary is possibly in error; maybe it wasn’t Taipei at all.

Can’t find anything more recent than these:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19860323&id=4wEyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=PKcFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5165,929772

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19860702&id=FEpOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GRQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1779,238753

My Japanese is not great, but I gave it a try and couldn’t find anything on him.

[quote]Graves and memorials exist to placate the living, they have no significance to the dead. In fact, there are no dead. Either something exists or it doesn’t; therefore, it makes no more sense to make objective references to the present state of someone who no longer exists than it does to describe the idiosyncrasies of someone who has never existed.
Consider the statement: Shakespeare is dead. In a very real sense, that phrase is nonsensical in that it ascribes a characteristic to a subject that doesn’t exist; i.e., Shakespeare can no more be (=) dead than he can have a toothache or be on vacation in Miami. All that phrase can mean is that there once was a person named Shakespeare but now there isn’t. Once you understand that, death loses all it’s sting.
– Phillip Larrabee (June 8th, 2010 at 3:01 pm)[/quote]

blog.japantimes.co.jp/yen-for-li … s-expands/

Words of a poet true.

Smart fellow.

Poor Phillip Larrabee! “I drank some tea five minutes ago.” The “I” refers to the person, me, from five minutes ago, but he doesn’t exist anymore, so by his reasoning, it makes no sense to refer to things that I’ve done in the past, because that person doesn’t exist anymore.

Also, we can ascribe characteristics to things which don’t exist, “You owe me the next five dollars you['ll] get.” There are not, at the time of the utterance, five dollars, and yet most of us would agree that people still owe us money even when that money isn’t present to be paid.

If this outlook led to his suicide (and nihilistic views like these do have that effect on people), I can only comment that sloppy reasoning is dangerous. If he were still alive, I would suggest his reading Meinong before posting stuff like that on the Interwebz.

Oh, and I am a Meinongian (I think only Hokwongwei would know or care about what that means, but any-hoo…).

This guy sounded pretty interesting, in fact he seems to have been very intelligent indeed with a concise turn of phrase. Supposedly he was fluent in a bunch of languages too.
But somehow his life took a strange turn and he went along the wrong path. What the hell was going on in his head?

You make paper umbrellas and speak Hakka? :discodance: I kid.

In all seriousness, I wish I could help out more, but don’t quite have the time to be running to different police districts looking for leads.

Gets me thinking, though, if there is a need for a professional foreign detective in Taiwan or not…

You make paper umbrellas and speak Hakka? :discodance: I kid.[/quote]

I thought he was talking about the problematic noodles.
appledaily.com.tw/appledaily … /35016420/