Summarize the 2018 Taiwan election

This article seems pretty balanced:

When Taiwan passed legislation last year that made it easier to propose and pass referendum questions, President Tsai Ing-wen called it a “historic moment” in the self-ruling island’s evolution from a military dictatorship to an open democracy.

She got more than she bargained for on Saturday, when voters were asked a record 10 questions. Their answers simultaneously undermined Taiwan’s reputation as one of Asia’s most progressive societies, angered many young Taiwanese and inadvertently assisted Beijing’s claims that Taiwan is part of its territory.

Kolas Yotaka, a government spokeswoman and former legislator who voted for the new referendum law last year, said the public had multiple complaints about the referendums on Saturday, including the large number of questions being asked.

“We think next time we’ll need to improve explanations of the content of the referendums,” Ms. Kolas said in an interview. “We also didn’t have enough time to have enough public debate.”

The referendum questions on gay rights were the subject of a well-funded and highly organized campaign led by conservative Christians and other groups. The campaign was characterized by misinformation, the bulk of which was spread online, including messages warning of an AIDS epidemic and low birthrates, or that educating students about different sexual orientations would influence their sexual choices.

Ms. Kolas said that despite the referendum results, the government was “very happy” to hear the voice of the electorate.

“What’s important is to give the people an opportunity to express their opinions,” she said.

It’s not the case when those opinions are WRONG.

I’m still furious.

Who’s to say?

Give everyone free speech, and it will all sort out in the end. Never trust anyone who wants those who disagree with him to shut up.

5 Likes

It won’t. Free speech + stupid people = recipe of disaster.

The US got lucky in 2015.

The local press reports that some people are now getting excited that the hordes of Mainland tourists will come back and energize the economy. What short memories people have. Wasn’t too long ago when many were complaining about the Mainland tourist hordes, and we finally got our peace back so good riddance to them. And now the pendulum is swinging back.

Tell me about it.

I still cannot believe it. It seems too fishy, too outrageous to me. So many people voting, so many young people, such a disaster?

Oh yes, they are planning to build more hotels to receive them.

They tend to forget that this is no feast for all, just a few select party members. And what China giveth, China can taketh away just as swiftly.

In addition, referendums + stupid people = recipe of disaster.

But that’s what democracy is all about. Certainly, you’d much rather have that than CCP, right?

Is democracy only the best form of government if you agree with the majority? @hansioux posted the detailed voter statistics, you can clearly see the conservative majority outside the cities.

Democracy is so great…until people disagree with you.

Sounds fascist.

1 Like

Dunno about agrement, but when information is manipulated and the electorate is not well educated, then it becomes a travesty.

Would they seem more educated to you if they voted the way you prefer?

1 Like

Ditto.

Yes.

It’s not really that hard to believe. Referendum on gay marriage would always be a bad idea. Even in Australia, around 40% of the voters were against it last year despite Australia being an extremely liberal, progressive country.

And that answer reflects the heart of the problem. You are right and everyone who takes a different view is wrong.

Yes. On gay marriage, my view is the correct view. Those against it are homophobes. It’s black and white.

Same goes with your view on Taichung pollution, right?:rofl:

1 Like

Not at all. Just if they exhibited better reasoning for voting the way they did. I am more concerned about them following populist leaders and empty speeches.

1 Like

The most dangerous stupid people are those who think they’re the smart ones.

In the proper sense of the term.