šŸ¤¼ Sumo

Hakuho at 12-0, must be healthy again.

Last bout will be interesting. Terunofuji will get no favors, but then, the Mongolians always had an interesting love-hate relationship.

Final bout!

3 Likes

good fight

2 Likes

The longest pre-bout stare I have ever seen. Mongolians fighting for the overall win is always exciting.

2 Likes

Just caught the highlights on NHK World and end with Hakuho and Terunofuji. Some serious stares happening.

SUMO/ Hakuho clinches record 45th win, defeating tied Terunofuji | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis

Yes, a good one

1 Like

Day 10 current tournament highlights on Sumopedia, the final fight, looked painful.

Hakuho out because of Covid in his stable, not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing for him. At 36 his career will come to an end soon, but the prolonged rest might allow him to fight a bit longer. Will be interesting to see who the next grand champion will be. Terunofujiā€™s story is a nice one, but not sure if he can stay in top shape for long. I havenā€™t followed sumo closely for some time now, so I have no idea who is going to fill those big shoes of Hakuho in the future.

1 Like

Lots of people have injuries, maybe from the period of having less training (not sure, just a guess)

Day 6 into the Grand Sumo November tournament.

Highlights are really impressive. Iā€™m catching on channel 560 NHK World a couple times a day.

Grand Sumo just looks so good lately I donā€™t know, not that Iā€™ve ever really watched much before.

Size or brute force doesnā€™t always matter.

Grand Sumo November 2021 day 10, goes until 28 Nov, highlights 3 or 4 times a day on NHK world

1 Like

Watched some highlights on NattoSumo. Donā€™t know, does not seem to be more exciting than it was before. While Terunofuji is a deserving Yokozuna, without Hakuho something is missing. And I cannot see any of the contenders down the ranks that excite me. The Sumo Association has repeatedly shot itself in the foot by banning the most exciting wrestlers for life after off-dohyo incidents. The battles between Hakuho and Asashoryu were the best, Harumafuji was another exciting wrestler. In the past there were many more foreigners (remember the pot-smoking Russians, the skinny Czech dude, Biomass Baruto, Kotooshu, go back further the Hawaiians and the Hana brothers etc.?). Way more colorful back then.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErxT8KRQi3JJEwMCDrcHBg

Great counter move by Terunofuji to win the bout and the tournament. He looked like he was going to get pushed out but did a nifty arm move that destroyed Abi.

1 Like

All bouts of the champ in succession. Heā€™s different from Hakuho, more patient, clearly the stronger wrestlers in most of those bouts.

1 Like

Nice job in Fukuoka for Terunofuji. His countrymen have done well and seem to fit into the Sumo life and culture well (as well Japanese too, )

Grand Sumo The January Tournament January 9-23, 2022

I missed day 1 one so I guess Iā€™ll have to catch the highlights.

1 Like

I just caught the highlights from Day 14 today on NHK TV that are shown a few times daily.

Nice.

One rematch where one guy had a huge bloody forehead from being slammed to the ground WOW.

One big upset.

Final day 15, tomorrow 23 Jan.

1 Like

l think Teru will win again, but all those knee bandages make wonder how healthy he is.

Oops, I was wrong, Mitakeumi won. Disappointing final bout, not sure how much the knees of Terunofuji bothered him.

There is not a single wrestler in the top division that is exciting to watch I feel. All quite mediocre, the last three yokozuna were all spectacular in their own ways, and the non-Mongolian foreigners gave the tournaments a bit of flair. All gone now.

Mitakeumi becomes Ozeki as expected.

1 Like