šŸ¤¼ Sumo

Hope the gyoji is ok, seems apparent it was a mistake on his part

Day 11 (yesterday) had some good matches and one rookie excelling. And at least two dropouts due to covid.

Yeah, the Covid-related absences keep on coming. Soon, half of the bouts will be decided without a fight.

Terufujiā€™s ability to stay on his feet while being whirled around by young Hoshoryu was really impressive. Heā€™s super strong.

This tournament may come down to Teru vs Ichi. That mountain of a man might be the slowest and most lethargic looking of them all, but heā€™s tough to move out of the ring if heā€™s focused.

His knees were covered with bandage which must offer support as well as even some on ankles.

I think they are always bandaged, probably damaged beyond repair, but still he piles up the wins.

Grand Sumo July Nagoya final day.

Now LIVE on NHK World TV channel 560 on chungwa.

3:30 to 5:00 p.m.

Lots of wrestlers out for covid or because they had contact with a covid in their stable.

Terunofuji is alright and deserves to be a Yokozuna, but heā€™s no Hakuho or Asashoryu. No way those two would have lost the final two bouts like that and give away a yusho.

1 Like

Japan in general has the highest Covid numbers per day recently. Hard to avoid recently.

I thought September Grand Sumo tournament was starting today.

Schedule says 11 September start.

Did they slip or change the dates?

Maybe covid is taking itā€™s toll.

Grand Sumo September Tournament 2022

Opening day Sunday tomorrow.

Live coverage on NHK TV 4:10 pm.

Ryogoku Kokugikan National Sumo Arena
https://maps.google.com/?cid=8080439352370264692&entry=gps

1 Like

I have seen probably a few thousand sumo bouts by now, but never have l seen this technique.

Ura, the blubber man, likes to go low, but that was really low.

3 Likes

And some really nasty slapping by Takakeisho in this one. Wow, like 5, 6 vicious slaps.

1 Like

I guess thatā€™s legal huh

Knocked him silly

One rikishi I am now looking forward to watching is newcomer Midori ā€œGreenā€ Fuji.

Fairly undersized and lightweight, heā€™s very agile and seems to have a good fighting spirit.

I really enjoying the first week of this two week bout.

The 30 minute highlights a couple times a day on NHK TV channel 560 are nice.

Live action today Sunday from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.

Great win against Hoshoryu, who I kind of dislike because of his (in my eyes) arrogant looks all the time.

1 Like

Current Standing
9-1 Tamawashi, Hokutofuji
8-2 Takayasu, Nishikifuji
7-3 Chiyoshoma, Oho, Tobizaru, Wakatakakage

I give Wakataka a good chance of catching up with the top two. After a poor start with three straight loses heā€™s won seven in a row, all quite convincingly. He remains my favorite wrestler to watch because heā€™s always poised and has what looks like the best fat to muscle ratio. Heā€™s just a bit undersized.

I have a bit of a side related question.

Do bars, pubs, clubs, whatever near the Sumo arena have a lot of activity happening and a lot of things going on?

Do Sumo events have a related activity and nightlife going on?

Yeah I know the street side shops box lunch and snacks and tourist things.

Like other countries where it could be basketball on the USA or football in Europe.

If so is it a bunch of old people or is it a youngish activity people what what is it really?

Ozeki Shodai match today, already losing record for this tournament, then letā€™s a lower class person wrap their arm around his neck.

How does that happen? Seems like giving up or something.