🤼 Sumo

The current Ozekis are just embarrassing themselves. Mitakeumi already lost his rank, Shodai will be next. Takakeisho’s cheap henka against Hokutofuji also shows me that he’s an unworthy wrestler.

Wata, Hoshoryu, and a few other younger wrestlers will soon have replaced them.

Grand Sumo November 2022 tournament starts tomorrow.

Day one should be live on NHK TV. At least part of it starting 4pm Taiwan time.

If it’s too slow, just catch the next day highlights showing two or three times a day during tournament where they replay the previous day matches within about 30 minutes.

1 Like

l watch the replays on Natto Sumo

1 Like

haha, nice ! So who is your pick to win?

I am always looking for Wakatakakage to have a good tournament. He’s got all what is needed to be successful, great strength and technique, very poised, very reliable, unlike his main rivals.

Now.

Grand Sumo.

Final day of the final tournament of the year free on NHK TV or online, 3:30 p.m. until 5:00 p.m…

Could be a two-way or three-way playoff.

Busy day in Sporting news, JPN game in the football World Cup also, hope for win or draw

Feel bad for Takayasu. He’s been close to winning a tournament several times. Can’t get over the hump. Throw some salt in his wounds by henka-ing him in a playoff (not cool, Abi) and giving him an injury.

Glad Takakeisho did not win the last bout, however, he strikes me as a dirty wrestler with all his face slapping. Not sure if he goes over the line of what is legal there, but it feels dirty.

One time when I was in Japan my taxi driver was watching Sumo wrestling on his phone.

8-22 January 2023 tournament starts tomorrow live on NHK TV at around 4:00 p.m. Taiwan time.

2 Likes

Feeling for Takayasu after the last tournament, now three losses already and some hurtful falls.

Hoshoryu looks strong, he’s the future, still young and in good shape, also very technically skilled.

Grand Sumo tournament, this January tournament is heating up going into the final week of a two-week tournament.

They’re getting serious.

Catch the highlights few times daily on NHK TV channel or go to NHK web.

Takakeisho is running away with this. Never been a big fan of his, but warming up to him. His fights are always vicious with a lot of slapping by both rikishi. He had blood on his face in three consecutive bouts already. All the other high-ranked fighters lack consistency.

Btw, his wife is a beauty

Takakeisho with the deserved yusho after beating the two low ranked contenders. Another yusho in the next tournament and he will be the next Yokozuna, the first Japanese after Kisenosato, I believe.

1 Like

A good thread about sumo from Sherdog. Some good info and seems like there are a few hardcore fans in there as well

May tournament starts today around 4pm Taiwan time with a couple hours of live viewing.

30 minute highlights a few times daily the next two weeks.

May Tournament
May 14-28 in Tokyo
4:30 / 8:30 / 16:30 / 23:30 (UTC)

Live feed freeee

Terunofuji looked sharp on the first day back from a long injury hiatues. Maybe he has one or two more tournament wins in him, especially against rather mediocre competition. I guess it will come down to a battle with Takakeisho, the only Ozeki left.

With my favorite wrestler Wakatakakage out for a while, I now pay close attention to Hokuseiho, the tallest man on the dohyō. Under the wings of the greatest of them all, Hakuho, he’s still young and and the sky his limit. The way he almost stands upright controlling his opponents with just one arm is fun to watch.

Two Hokuseiho bouts.

First one, amazing ability to stay in the ring.

Second one, amazing win by Wakamotoharu.

With age and experience, Hokuseiho will be pretty unstoppable, unless injuries prevent that.

1 Like