Super Six (boxing)

So, the Super Six World Boxing Classic has started with the first fights already fought. The next fight (Kessler vs. Ward) is tomorrow the 21st, but does anyone know if there is a place (sports-bar?) that shows the fight?

Best regards,
J

The fight is not until 21st Nov. I wish I could delete my original post :blush:

The first two matches were extremely entertaining. Especially Arthur Abraham’s definitive KO of Jermaine Taylor with like six seconds left in the fight (although it was also a lot of fun watching Carl Froch frown and sigh while chasing Andre Dirrell all over the ring for 12 rounds). Definitive as in Taylor’s toes were twitching as he was counted out.

This was the first time I’d seen Abraham, and wow. That dude comes into the ring with bad intentions. Great defense, cat quick, strong as an ox. Slow starter, but a strong finisher. Devastating puncher, great jaw. Something’s going on in Germany, some kind of boxing renaissance or something (the Klitschko’s are there, too).

I’m really looking forward to next month’s matches. If they’re half as entertaining as the two last Saturday, they’ll still be great fun.

Abraham, who’s undefeated at 31-0-0 with 25 KO’s, fighting Wayne Elcock in late 2007:

Where are you guys watching these? Sounds crazy, I want in. Also, do they have Friday night fights on HBO here in Taiwan?

Showtime, but I’m in the US.

As for Taiwan, well, I’ll be surprised if Satellite TV doesn’t show up here pretty soon with a quasi-dodgy option for youse there.

It was pay per view in the UK. You could try the Brass Monkey, but I doubt they’ll consider the Kessler fight big enough to show. I’ve seen a couple of Hatton fights on Sunday mornings in Taipei, so the bars will show them if they think it’s good business. It’s good business for them because they get early morning drinkers in on a Sunday. I’d guess that the Haye Valuev fight will be shown, and maybe Kessler Froch when they get it on. The fights are usually advertised on the back of the Taipei Times.

Froch’s got nothing other than a granite jaw. He’s got no chance. Kessler for me.

[quote=“tomthorne”]It was pay per view in the UK. You could try the Brass Monkey, but I doubt they’ll consider the Kessler fight big enough to show. I’ve seen a couple of Hatton fights on Sunday mornings in Taipei, so the bars will show them if they think it’s good business. It’s good business for them because they get early morning drinkers in on a Sunday. I’d guess that the Haye Valuev fight will be shown, and maybe Kessler Froch when they get it on. The fights are usually advertised on the back of the Taipei Times.

Froch’s got nothing other than a granite jaw. He’s got no chance. Kessler for me.[/quote]

That is bollocks actually, Froch has got much more than that. He has got one of the hardest punches of the middle weight division, has extremely good stamina, and is a very very awkward fighter as well as being very game. You cant beat Taylor with just a granite jaw. However you are probably right that Kessler will win this fight.

Nottingham boy are you? Maybe I was a bit harsh. That’s the problem with amateur boxing pundits like me, the comments always tend towards soundbites. Difficult sport to analyse in detail. Froch’s gunslinger style with his low left requires a faster counter and a little more aggression in my opinion, otherwise he can easily end up getting frustrated like in his last fight. He will really need to keep his left higher against Kessler, his shoulder’s not going to be enough. I hope he wins, though.

Anyone fancy Haye against Valuev this Saturday? I have this sneaking suspicion he’s going to take him. Such a lot of weight to give, but Valuev was awful against Holyfield.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Nottingham boy are you? Maybe I was a bit harsh. That’s the problem with amateur boxing pundits like me, the comments always tend towards soundbites. Difficult sport to analyse in detail. Froch’s gunslinger style with his low left requires a faster counter and a little more aggression in my opinion, otherwise he can easily end up getting frustrated like in his last fight. He will really need to keep his left higher against Kessler, his shoulder’s not going to be enough. I hope he wins, though.

Anyone fancy Haye against Valuev this Saturday? I have this sneaking suspicion he’s going to take him. Such a lot of weight to give, but Valuev was awful against Holyfield.[/quote]

Such a gentleman you are ! No not Nottingham but Lincolnshire but yeah close. I would be with you on the Haye fight however Haye is no way as good as Hollyfield and every time I watch the Youtube clip of Haye being knocked out in that one fight i doubt him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhWh3tN5s4M

Haye would be great for boxing but to use your language in the reverse “he hasn’t got a granite chin” and against someone like Valuev he is going to need that. I hope he wins but I was so disappointed with Hatton that I don’t dare to think it this time!

Froch the Cobra!
Froch as you can see from one of my above posts is probably my favorite British fighter, simply because he is a breath of fresh air from Joe Slappy and Joe Slappy finished my boxing idol Mr Chris Eubank. But yeah I can see how any fan of the amateurs would dislike Froch. He does everything a fighter should not do and that is why I love to watch him. I really would love to see him against Abrahams. Froch wants to meet the most dangerous man so let those two go at it. However sometimes I do fear for Froch’s brain. He is the British Rocky Balboa!

Of course, Haye’s excuse would be that he was partying and shagging too hard before the Thompson fight. I remember some page 3 model in his entourage when he entered the ring. Supposedly he’s a good boy now.

Froch reminds me a bit of Johnny Nelson or Junior Witter, just not quite quick enough to carry off that boxing style. Hamed and Herol Graham were, or at least Hamed was when he trained. You’re right though that he is fantastic fun to watch and I’ll be cheering him on, but I think he’s going to have a painful 12 rounds eating Kessler’s jab.

I just saw some video highlights from the first fight. Looked awesome. To Jax, the OP, if you find a bar that will broadcast the Nov 21 fight… count me in.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Of course, Haye’s excuse would be that he was partying and shagging too hard before the Thompson fight. I remember some page 3 model in his entourage when he entered the ring. Supposedly he’s a good boy now.

Froch reminds me a bit of Johnny Nelson or Junior Witter, just not quite quick enough to carry off that boxing style. Hamed and Herol Graham were, or at least Hamed was when he trained. You’re right though that he is fantastic fun to watch and I’ll be cheering him on, but I think he’s going to have a painful 12 rounds eating Kessler’s jab.[/quote]

What that fight told me was just how resilient an old man can be! That meaning Thompson. Old man power.

However if Haye, fit of not, cannot take out Thompson with that mass onslaught then i doubt very much he can take out Valuev in top condition or not. So if he cant take him out how is he going to survive the later rounds with his iffy cardio ? Especially when you have a monster like Valuev leaning on you all night.
I am taking Valuev in this by late stoppage.

Froch versus Kessler, I have Kessler on points or Dr’s stoppage for cuts on Froch. However with Froch there is always the wild card factor in his awkward style as it confuses a lot of even very high calibre fighters.

You could never tell with Thompson how he was going to perform. He beat some very good boxers (including your man Eubank). That fight with Haye was 5 years ago and Haye looked well off the pace. He was hardly moving his feet by the fourth, and only throwing single punches. Great commentary by McKenzie.

We’ll find out on Saturday. It’s on at 9.30pm here in the UK, should be an interesting fight but I have the feeling we won’t see the fireworks Haye keeps promising. I think he’ll try and stay away from Valuev and use his speed to win on points. I don’t think it’ll be a thriller unless Haye gets hurt early and has to throw caution to the wind.

Kessler on points.
Haye on points.

You may be right, Fenlander. Just watched Jim Watt talking about the fight and he has serious doubts about Haye.

Valuev is 4-1 to win on points. That may well be the value bet for a fight in Germany.

[quote=“tomthorne”]You may be right, Fenlander. Just watched Jim Watt talking about the fight and he has serious doubts about Haye.

Valuev is 4-1 to win on points. That may well be the value bet for a fight in Germany.[/quote]

Good odds take it. I would put the real odds at about 3-1 for Valuev

[quote=“tomthorne”]Of course, Haye’s excuse would be that he was partying and shagging too hard before the Thompson fight. I remember some page 3 model in his entourage when he entered the ring. Supposedly he’s a good boy now.

Froch reminds me a bit of Johnny Nelson or Junior Witter, just not quite quick enough to carry off that boxing style. Hamed and Herol Graham were, or at least Hamed was when he trained. You’re right though that he is fantastic fun to watch and I’ll be cheering him on, but I think he’s going to have a painful 12 rounds eating Kessler’s jab.[/quote]
What channel is it on Tom as I want to find it on sopcast if possible. i need to know channel frequency :popcorn:

Cheers m8

Sorry, Fenlander. Only just noticed your question. I don’t think last Saturday’s card was on Sky, but if they’re free view they’re usually on Sky Sports 2, if pay per view it depends.

I thought Ward was a gimme for Kessler. Shows how much I know! This Super 6 is getting really interesting with the two Andres.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Sorry, Fenlander. Only just noticed your question. I don’t think last Saturday’s card was on Sky, but if they’re free view they’re usually on Sky Sports 2, if pay per view it depends.

I thought Ward was a gimme for Kessler. Shows how much I know! This Super 6 is getting really interesting with the two Andres.[/quote]

yah I found it anyways. I never rated Kessler as high as most people did. Yeah this looks very interesting indeed!

Go Cobra!!! With any fighting you can NEVER tell the result until two men have actually fought. That is after all why they still allow gambling on it. A man may beat the man who beat the man but cannot beat the man! (some wisdom in their Grasshopper although I confused myself) :bow:

A man who beat the man who beat the man who beat tbe man may also lose to the man.

Like in GSP versus Hardy, everything says GSP will dominate and win easily but this is FIGHTING and one punch can destroy a legacy and legend. I’ve always favoured betting on a man that is very game and will never give up coupled with one hell of a punch. Froch is usually a good bet as everyone always says he is going to get slaughtered but he always wins somehow someway and never ever thinks to himself he is going to lose the fight even when getting a pounding.
The same with hardy they are always saying he is going to get beat and never does. Their best weapons is the fact that no one rates them and always under rates. never underestimate the enemy as the British found out when fighting the zulus!

Not at Rourke’s Drift we didn’t.

which was the one where the officer got his arm bit off by a Tiger ? :wink: