Super Size Me

It’s screening now.

Where?? Please tell me. I’m dying to get some of my Taiwanese friends (who eat McDonalds quite regularly) to go with me.

What will they think?

I can’t wait.

This doc was the talk of the town in San Francisco and came out something like the day after I left.

Vannyel, I have to agree with you. If you didn’t know that eating McDonald’s everyday for a month would ruin your health before seeing this movie, you’re brain dead.

And it’s not just fast food. I can solemnly testify to one month of my mom’s home cooking doing exactly the same! :laughing: I think I gained 20 pounds the last time I was home for an extended stay!

Child abuse?

I think so.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Child abuse?

I think so.[/quote]

Wow. Even I was miles removed from looking anything like that as a kid. :noway:

MT,

[apologies to MT, I thought he was going in a different direction with the above ad]

Listen, people need to make choices. Sometimes, they will make incorrect choices, but they should at least have the right to make a choice in personal matters that do not harm others. Maligning a company about the poor choices that parents make with their products weakens the debate and clouds the issue. Your ad is similiar to one showing the misuse of child safety seats. Did you ever hear of Personal responsibility or do you believe that the gov’t should take it away like the gov’ts in CHina and Russia have?

Okami

[quote=“Okami”]MT,

Do you think before you post, or do you just post the first idiotic idea/ad that comes to mind?

Listen, people need to make choices. Sometimes, they will make incorrect choices, but they should at least have the right to make a choice in personal matters that do not harm others. Maligning a company about the poor choices that parents make with their products weakens the debate and clouds the issue. Your ad is similiar to one showing the misuse of child safety seats. Did you ever hear of Personal responsibility or do you believe that the gov’t should take it away like the gov’ts in China and Russia have?

Okami[/quote]

Slow down Okami. Apparently you misunderstood my post. I wasn’t maligning a company at all. Like you, I strongly believe in personal responsibility. The photo happened to depict an immensely obese kid in McDonalds, but the fault lies primarily with the parents. When I said the two words, “child abuse,” I meant that it is child abuse for parents to create such a fat child, through bad diet, lack of excercise, etc. So I accept your apology for condemning me as you did. I believe we are in total agreement on this one.

I saw it, liked it. I saw a few couples carrying McDonalds bags into the theater before the movie. Made me wonder if they knew what the movie would be about. I was in a rush before the movie also and needed to grab some lunch quickly. I almost made that same mistake, but luckily, made a clearly superior choice: MOS Burger! :wink:

Bad news. MOS Burger doesn’t make the grade either. Check out this link : taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003199173

In fact this source says ‘US burger chain McDonald’s was the most hygienic, with all 143 samples passing the tests, the statement said.’ :wall:

Somebody please tell me that at least Subway is safe :idunno:

I doubt it, since the problem seems to be the poor hygiene habits of the Taiwanese in general. I’m surprised McD’s passed, considering how revolting their washrooms are.
By the way, the first time I ever went to a Subway, I saw the clerk drop one of the loaves of bread on the floor, and then just pick it up and put it back on the shelf. True, she didn’t serve it to ME, but …

[quote]
Newspaper man loses 6kg on ‘McDonald’s diet’

11 August 2004

AMSTERDAM