Superstars? ⭐

Both - awesomeness and technical (it was already there, so just needed to add a font-awesome icon :slight_smile: )

This post on the Discourse Meta board is about Badges and how the code can be modified so that badges are granted when certain events occur. Since Badges can be set to confer an associated title, then rank titles (like we had back in the phpBB days) can be done

Currently, we are still hosted on the Discourse server, so I believe our access to the code is limited. Even if it isn’t, I would need the help of a Discourse-savvy code to make changes like these.

I have long been looking into moving the site off the Discourse server – partly to limit the hosting costs and partly to get more flexibility to make changes like this. Our traffic and pageviews continue to grow - if the pageview count in the Dashboard is correct, we are now over 4x our monthly quota at over 2 million pageviews a month. We blew past 500,000 pageviews last summer.

Expect changes in this to happen this year - probably over the summer. Will keep you posted.

In the meantime, please suggest rank titles we might use. Maybe you can suggest them in this topic:

com

2 Likes

Not familiar with Discourse so … is “Flair” a movie reference or is that a term actually used by the program?

Because that’s good, flair. Pretty accurate imo.

…add text, or in some cases icons from a list, to your name. The generic term for those options is flair

https://www.reddit.com/r/help/comments/3tbuml/whats_a_flair/

But I only came across Flair in Discourse when I read this topic…

I was actually looking for information about the Custom Titles when I saw that topic. I took a peek at the Group Settings and saw the fields for adding avatar flair were available

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChQK8j6so8

Good work on this everyone. We’re (myself and @mad_masala in particular) obviously producing some cutting edge content here. :notworthy:

1 Like

And that number would be double if @tempogain didn’t hate me.

1 Like

Originally, mods had shield and title. 2/2 items to indicate we are mods.

We then had the option of adding or removing our title. 1/2 items to indicate we are mods.

Now there’s a star. 2/2 items to indicate we are mods.

Not necessary?

I think we should hire a phalanx of trumpeters to announce your collective presences.

5 Likes

Well, several things to unpack, but for now (and) mainly: why do the few people who do, want this so badly? Personally quite indifferent about it.

Tempo & I might have had a chat about it previously but I’m now unsure how to set such titles - it’s one of many miracles I can’t recreate.

The stars are kinda weird.

No way, it generates an incredible number of complaining posts.

They would be love letters if you stopped picking on me.

Objectively speaking based on my overall experience on this site, I don’t think so lol

There is a setting which would show a user’s full name on posts. I guess theoretically you could write your name as anything. That’s how it seems to work on other discourse forums I know of. I don’t think it should be activated without giving people a solid heads up though. It’s optional to give your real name when you register.

Yeah, well, as my Grandaddy used to say, if we all liked the same things, why, everyone would be after your grandma…

1 Like

Can I get a cowbell? Yes, this forum needs more cowbell.

Update: Whoa! Somebody just added Cowbell to my title. Thank you, Milords. I was actually thinking more along the lines of a cowbell graphic, but I guess we domesticated beasts shouldn’t look a gift cowbell in the mouth.

1 Like

This forum has more cowbell now.

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for, people. Be careful what you wish for.

Be careful what you wish for, people. Be careful what you wish for

Be careful what you wish for, people. Be careful what you wish for.