Superstitions

My girlfriend’s mom is a nice lady, but she’s one of those people who would really be wearing a tinfoil pyramid hat if her guru told her to. She practices one of those weird forms of ‘gong’, not sure which kind, and she believes her spirit is from the planet Regulus, and her daughter’s is from Skate. That’s why Dragonbabe has the Skatean flag, you see. :laughing: I’m absolutely not kidding, here…

This week she declared that astronomy predicts a great epidemic, so she told her family that they have to invite the spirits to eat with them to protect everyone.

Last week, Mom said to her family that they should be sure to kill any cockroaches if they saw them, because if they failed to do so, the cockroaches would surely become huge due to the fact that she is practicing her ‘gong’ thing in the apartment.
:help: :help: :help:

[color=green]
Note to moderators: Yes, I got permission from Dragonbabe before posting this; no need to flame it.
[/color] :wink:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
This week she declared that astronomy predicts a great epidemic, so she told her family that they have to invite the spirits to eat with them to protect everyone. [/quote]

I have a strong intutition due to my birth sign. No joke. and I hate it. But for some reason I’ve been observing the moon phases really closely lately. I do supect that something is going to occur in the coming weeks up to the full moon. No joking.

well that explains a few things!

Some more variations on the pregnant woman/don’t move heavy things around the house.
Back in July, I wanted to get a big load of bricks and build some raised beds for the garden:couldn’t
I also wanted to move the bed out of the way when the cieling sprung a leak during a typhoon:couldn’t.
A few weeks back they ripped up the surface of the street in front of our house and repaved… tai tai had to get out of there, quick. All this crap has something to do with “the god of the baby”, and all of it is foisted on us by my mother inlaw. I think the road from our house to her house is the longest road in the world. It goes from the early 21st century all the way to the late neolithic period.

When my sister in law had her baby, my mom was not allowed to pick up the baby because she was wearing black. Mom had to put on another shirt before she could do so.

Sister in law only bathe the baby during the day when it’s still day light out. God knows why…

Both my brother and wife changed their Chinese names to bring better luck.

They went to see fortuneteller before baby was born, and was told the baby should never eat beef or lamb… :loco:

Married women can’t go home (their parents’ homes) til 2 days after CNY - or it will bring bad luck to their families.

Ok,
two more insipid baby superstitions. Baby can’t be exposed to starlight or moonlight until she is four months old. (Pray tell, where can you see moonlight or starlight in Daliao township anyway?) During CNY, someone (usually me) had to hold a hand over her heart when fireworks went off. I forgot the reason, then again I probably just rolled my eyes and never asked why.
I don’t mind superstitions as long as the demands placed on me are not excessive, these fall into that category. Whaatever. :unamused:

[quote=“Salvatore Armani”]Ok,
two more insipid baby superstitions. Baby can’t be exposed to starlight or moonlight until she is four months old. (Pray tell, where can you see moonlight or starlight in Daliao township anyway?) During CNY, someone (usually me) had to hold a hand over her heart when fireworks went off. I forgot the reason, then again I probably just rolled my eyes and never asked why.
I don’t mind superstitions as long as the demands placed on me are not excessive, these fall into that category. Whaatever. :unamused:[/quote]While I’m sorry you have to put up with this kind of stupidity, you chose your in-laws…

Right now I’m cursing my neighbors because they think burning paper money is more beneficial to them than not breathing carcinogenic smoke. But OTOH, I chose these neighbors. I should have done more research before I bought this apartment.

… During CNY, someone (usually me) had to hold a hand over her heart when fireworks went off. I forgot the reason, then again I probably just rolled my eyes and never asked why.
I don’t mind superstitions as long as the demands placed on me are not excessive, these fall into that category. Whaatever. :unamused:[/quote]

Tuff job here in Sanxia … two weeks of holding the hand over baby’s heart, 24 hours a day … :slight_smile:

Ever heared of CJD … the human version of mad cow … the guy’s right, he now’s his stuff :slight_smile:

You’re right, I hate it when you’re right.:wink:
This stuff was not in the brochure.

two more insipid baby superstitions. Baby can’t be exposed to starlight or moonlight until she is four months old. (Pray tell, where can you see moonlight or starlight in Daliao township anyway?) [/quote]

Right, I forgot that one. My neice stayed indoors for 100 days after she was born, saw daylight only to see the doctor.

Also, if a baby is frightened, someone (can be anybody) is to put a little saliva on finger and put it in the baby’s mouth…how unsanitary.

What about shaving the baby’s head on day 24? What is that all about?

A friend of mine said she wasn’t allowed to shower a month after having her baby, because her Cantonese mother-in-law said it would estrange the child from the mother in the future.

All I could think was that all the smell would estrange the husband.

Riddle me this…

My sister in law won’t buy any toy with a face on it for my niece. Any idea?