Support Taiwan and win cash!

Happy quizzing
(I’m just dying to win one of those DVDs or a shopping bag sponsored by Taiwan’s Tourism Bureau :wink:)

Iris

Is the link invisible to limit your competition? I just hate this cutthroat attitude - it’s just as bad as med school. I know the address myself, but I just can’t bring myself to mention it… don’t want to risk losing to a forumosan.

Woohoo, I got 5 out of 5. I copied down all the questions, so if anyone wants to prepare for this big quiz, I can pm them to you, but if you ask me, this quiz is a gimme. Then they will draw 12 people from all the people who answered correctly.

Hint: Don’t forget to be pro-Taiwan when you’re taking the test.

Oops, there must be some tags that I can’t see to make it appear the way it does :s I swear I didn’t do it on purpose. The link shows as soon as you move your cursor over it.

Tech wizzes: help!

There was this other contest they sponsored a while back (I think it was to celebrate the lantern festival). I answered the quiz… a couple of months later I got a paper lantern with an electric flashlight bulb in the mail. It was crappy, but shows that it is possible to win!

I don’t think you can collect a prize unless you have an American postal address.

I got a funny mail:

Dear Friend of Taiwan,

Thank you for your continuing interest in Taiwan!

The Information Division of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in New York is pleased to announce a contest to promote awareness of Taiwan’s 12th-annual bid for UN representation. Quiz questions will be posted to our website each Monday beginning August 30, 2004, and will change weekly for 5 weeks.

There will be 12 winners each week! 3 of them will receive US $100 in cash, and the rest will receive “The Wonders of Taiwan,” an interactive DVD, or foldable backpacks or shopping bags sponsored by Taiwan’s Tourism Bureau.

For more information about Taiwan’s bid for UN representation, and to participate in the quiz, please go to www.taipei.org and follow the simple instructions.

Everyone is welcome to participate, so tell your friends and family! We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
www.taipei.org

After I read this I called the office in New York ( it coasts 0,01 Euros from Germany to call US). Was quite to find someone who speaks Chinese Mandarin.
I wanted to know for what kind of membership they want to apply.For the ROC or Taiwan, or Chinese Taipei. The library on the phone said that Taiwan ( ROC ) was a member of UN and got kicked out.

Last year I meet Dr.Neukirchen at a presentation about “Taiwan - and its status in the law of nation”. Was quite impressiv what he found out about Taiwan ( or I’d better say ROC) international relationships. So I had to buy his 79,-EURo book about this topic.

I think he works for the international supreme court for sea trade and rights in Hamburg city ( Germany) as lawyer. Anyway he came to following solutions if sum it up:

1.   There never exist a country named

You have summed up the history very well, and indeed there is no way Taiwan can become a member of the U.N. However, the government wants to spend time, effort and money on trying to do so and the people elected the government so there is not much we can do about it. You might as well have some fun and try you hand at the competition - You might win a groovy knapsack.

p.s. [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/support-taiwan-and-win-cash/12205/1 is another thread about this competition.[/url] Merge?

[quote=“Juba”]You have summed up the history very well, and indeed there is no way Taiwan can become a member of the U.N.

p.s. [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/support-taiwan-and-win-cash/12205/1 is another thread about this competition.[/url] Merge?[/quote]

You misunderstood me :astonished:

The main issue is that if you want to apply as a member for UN, you need first to build up a country first. The Americans had to declare independence before starting a war against the King of England.

How do you want to apply as Taiwan, if the ROC constitution itself says that Taiwan is just a province of the ROC. And the ROC consider itself as the only legal China in the world.

So the worst enemy of Taiwan is the ROC. Taiwan is under the pressure of the ROC itself. China is just fighting for its legal representation of China.

You know today your representiv in New York will go to the UN headquarter and ask for a membership of a country wich never exisists. The ROC died in 1949 and Taiwan never declared under the KMT dictatorship its independence.

All what you can do is to protest against the propaganda. :loco:

If the ROC is abolished, i.e. Taiwan declares independence (with or without those little bits of Fujian), there will be a war, which Taiwan will quickly lose, whereby Taiwan will indeed join the UN in the sense that it will be a province of the PRC.

These been running these types of contests for years. It seems it is always an Eastern European that wins.

That is why Dr.Neukirchen wrote in his book. Taiwan only can be fully recognized as a democratic " De Factor regime".

Taiwan took membership in the WTO as a “seperated custom zone Taiwan,Penghu,Matsu,Kinmen”. That it is because “de factor” China has no control over these islands and Taiwan.

This could work out in political way,too.

So if it is only a membership of international organisations Taiwan want to join, Taiwan can join in with an ugly , but realistic name.

And that is the crazy thing…the chance is real…just need to pick up.

So simple it could be…

Taiwan was able to join the WTO because membership of the WTO is not restricted to sovereign nations. The same is true of many other international organisations such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, of which Taiwan is also a member. That restriction does, however, apply to the United Nations and to related bodies such as the World Health Organisation. United Nations membership is not open to “de facto regimes”, therefore Taiwan cannot join the UN in that form. The only way it could join would be if it were recognised as an independent nation by a large number of countries, which will not happen.

No, it couldn’t.

No, it isn’t. Sorry to disappoint you.

but but but Taiwan was never returned to China after the end of world war 2. The San Francisco peace treaty only stated Japan renounces all claims to Taiwan, which one must immediately make a huge jump in logic to conclude that this means that Taiwan is not a part of China and thus independent. Furthermore the RoC is an evil WSR invader and is invalid, or Taiwan is a military territory of the U.S. occupied by Chinese forces, or Taiwan became independent in 1996 with a democratically elected president. Sure, all of this is contradictory, but Taiwan for the Taiwanese (and the occassional gweilo). FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMM!

:unamused:

sometimes, I crack myself up.

let’s not pretend here that the un is refusing to let taiwan in because of its rules. they won’t let taiwan in because china says no.

i wonder what part of the un charter forced the un to keep china out until the 70’s?

us pressure kept china out of the un for 30 years and now chinese pressure is keeping taiwan out. the un charter is a joke. or rather, the ability of the un to contradict its own founding principles is a joke.

[quote=“cmdjing”]but but but Taiwan was never returned to China after the end of world war 2. The San Francisco peace treaty only stated Japan renounces all claims to Taiwan, which one must immediately make a huge jump in logic to conclude that this means that Taiwan is not a part of China and thus independent. Furthermore the RoC is an evil WSR invader and is invalid, or Taiwan is a military territory of the U.S. occupied by Chinese forces, or Taiwan became independent in 1996 with a democratically elected president. Sure, all of this is contradictory, but Taiwan for the Taiwanese (and the occassional gweilo). FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOMMMMMMMM!

:unamused:

sometimes, I crack myself up.[/quote]

taiwan is an independent country because it has its own government and military. china has no control over taiwan’s policies, domestic or foreign. china has no legislative or judicial power over taiwan. china cannot collect any taxes from taiwan nor can chinese officials even set foot on taiwan without taiwanese permission.

A feeble but repetitve reply Flipper. The confederate states of America had all of the above. So did the artificially created Manchuko Japanese puppet state. Hell, so did the Hunan Soviet Republic established during the midst of the Chinese civil war (Which ironically issued its own postage stamps, a quite rare and valueable find these days).

the war started when the south started taking over union bases in their territory. but yes, during the war the confederacy could be considered an independent country.

so they were not INDEPENDENT governments because they were puppet governments ruled from afar.

you DO realize that the term “puppet government” is the direct opposite of “independent country” don’t you?

If you keep an eye on organisations such as UN you will find out that in the past 59 years countries took memberships which only exsists on paper, still you can find totally broken African and Latin Americna countrieswho have a full membership.

Even the evilst dictatorships such as North-Korea, Cuba, Sudan have full membership in the UN.

Over 110 members braking the law of the UN, but still may join in.

If Taiwan would not apply KMT as dream to represent ROC as a quasi second China ( which own ROC consitution doesn’t allow ), but as a self govern region it would have a real chance.

No, it couldn’t.
but in pragmatism…

No, it isn’t. Sorry to disappoint you.[/quote]

There is always a real chance, if you do it right.

None. China was not kept out of the UN. The Republic of China was a founding member of the United Nations and a member of the Security Council.

p.s. How many more years until you learn that sentences start with capital letters?