Suppressing periods

I really didn’t enjoy and feel that comfortable training females. So I chose not to. One reason was because women’s body are different and it’s hard for me to understand and give the best advice. I can get a man to drop a few KG of body fat and gain a few KG muscle within a month easy. And make noticeable differences in appearance while making strength gains. But it’s really hard for women to drop body fat and gain muscle. And even after weeks, they may never do more than 1 pull up while I can get even the most out of shape guy who couldn’t do a pull up to do 10 in about 6-8 weeks time.

Another reason is I find it best to feel their muscles for contractions and I sometimes ask them to feel mine to understand what I mean by that. Most go through the motion but don’t know how to do quality reps. I didn’t feel comfortable doing that with women. So I rather not.

1 Like

My trainer uses the back of his hand if he’s touching me, which is somehow a lot less invasive or weird.

I’m not a serious athlete per se, but I work out often enough to know that there’s a noticeable performance difference on period vs off period. The couple days leading up to the start of your period can also be shitty. It’s probably a little different for everybody, but for me it’s enough to make me try to schedule workouts around it.

Some women have conditions that make their periods and/or other times of their cycle a living hell. Endometriosis, PMDD, menorrhagia…just the regular period is unpleasant enough, but I feel lucky knowing it could actually be much, much worse.

1 Like

I guess. To be more precise, I was comfortable with it. It’s my job to help the person and I’m doing it in a non sexual and professional way. I just didn’t want someone to take it the wrong way.

I had a girl who came to my group classes that had a thing for me. I was a bit naive at first about it but it became rather obvious quickly. These are situations I rather avoid for example.

Yeah I can see how it could get weird depending on the rapport between the trainer and the student. Although having a crush on your coach probably keeps you coming back to the gym more often, which is better for your fitness, at least.

1 Like

The gym I go to in Hsinchu is structured for personal training. There are, at last count, 7 trainers and all are Taiwanese. They have their PT diplomas up on the wall as you walk in (all from two different US training academies). I train on my own and they have bumped up my fees as a result, but it’s ok.

Their customers are probably 50/50 males/females, so pretty even. I think the trainers are actually very good in that they seem to focus heavily on technique at first, rather than ramping things up fitness-wise. They seem to be very matter-of-fact, and I’ve never seen them avoid using their hands.

What I’ve never seen them do, though, is have their customer feel the trainer’s muscle, although the trainer often performs a movement so the customer can observe. I’m not saying having them feel your muscle is a bad thing (it’s not: it makes sense), just saying I’ve never seen the trainers at my gym do it.

It took a while for me to notice that two of the trainers are actually females, not males. I didn’t glom on until one day I heard a girl giggling behind the counter, a place reserved for staff only. One of the trainers was doing the giggling, and that’s when I learned something. Even so, they train males as well as females.

The majority of my group class were females. Most classes were all females. Can’t say it has to do with me as it was mostly like that before I got there. But this particular girl looked at me like a snack so. I was particularly fit at this time wearing our compression shirt uniforms. Just came back from my fight in Thailand.

I just don’t like to mix business with pleasure. I always make sure I don’t date people I work with or around. It’s just not a comfortable situation for me. And some people are just crazy and do irrational things.

I think most people would agree. Don’t get your honey where you get your money and all that.

So women’s body tells them they’re meant to have babies and lots of them each month they don’t basically.

Is it not harmful to not have periods as well?

Not as harmful as having too many.

Guys, you forget to mention that if a woman’s body fat is too low, as in the case of athletes and anorexic patients, they will naturally not have the hormone production to trigger menstruation. So an athlete at competition level will probably not have to do anything to stop having periods. Her body will simply be unable to have them.

So there is a balance to everything.

I am always surprised when someone us having irregular periods or bloody rivers that go on for days on end, or extreme pain…yet feels embarrassed to go to the doctor or worse, is told by old fashioned practitioners that is normal. There is normal ouch and then there gasoline leak about to explode. Balance.

3 Likes

Aside from sports. It seems very common in north america to take tge pill and stop periods. Not always but certainly cutting them down to a few times a year. Im not a female or doctor but it seems unatural and possibly unhealthy to shed it out. Icons points above are interesting, i have never heard that before.

It is OK. My best pal was a baller dancer and she was very thin, sothey her periods were irregular to gone. She actually got on the low dosage pill - which is also used to treat some kinds of acne and other hormonal related disorders- to get them together. She had two kids no problem when she got married.

Another old friend from school was also rail thin and also had issues with her periods. In her 20s the hormone mess was full fledged and she ballooned to like 200 pounds and had other health issues. I think at the end she had to take the reproductive machinery out, but then the artificial hormones also had issues. In summary, she was in and out of hospitals for like a decade.

At least it wasn’t like a friend of my mother who was also our neighbor. She has fibrosis so bad she would start bleeding non stop anytime anywhere and faint/ end up in the hospital. The doctors at that time in the old country did not dare to operate as it might impair her reproductive ability. In the end, they also had to take the whole kit and kaboole but she lived.

And hence from an early age I learned that periods are not a mandate from heaven nor necessary.

messing with body’s hormone system is not good practice. The pituitary gland, hypothalamus, ovaries all play in a negative feedback loop mechanism. Suppressing menstrual period for the sake of convenience is not a smart move. When the endometrium of the uterus stop shedding and the ovaries stop ovulating a woman stop functioning as a woman.

1 Like

Even if you are not an athlete, periods make you weaker - you might be dizzy, feel faint, etc. Periods are also expensive as you can’t reuse tampons or pads. At any rate it’s an individual choice, not really something for everyone to pass judgment on…

As stated, it is not “convenience”. It is a health issue. As stated, we were not meant to have so many periods. The stress of constant bleeding is problematic at an hormonal level, too.

OTOH, why are women always accused to look for convenience? In that case, look at all the things we go through with contraceptives so guys won´t be inconvenienced with rubbers. A bit of tightness -and longer lasting fun, actually- against more intense cramps, headaches, and other “inconveniences”, while we could both benefit from more fun and less chance of STDs.

Irregular menses with abnormal amount of discharge, bleeding, and intervals warrant a close look by an OBGYN. Ultrasound of the uterus and ovarian, blood test for hormone profiling LH,FSH, Progesterone, and Estrogen. May also do a CA125 to rule out Ovarian cancer and test the Anti Mullerian hormone for uterus endometrial health and child bearing capability. Women body is so complicated. I don’t think the current knowledge of science has fully figured out how hormones work in the human body

Women are complicated, period. :grin:

Imo it’s a good idea to keep a period tracker app on your phone. Can help a guy understand when it may be helpful to do a little extra work, and head off at least some unnecessary arguments.

1 Like

Guys are complicated too. The science of andropause is in its infancy.

Chocolate. Dark, high quality chocolate. Heating pad or hot water bottle. Good luck.

2 Likes

I think all Human’s are complicated :tired_face:

I guess if I had anal fissures, piles and stomach cramp it might hamper me a bit.

It’s such a easy fix though. TRT is not that complicated. Just a once of week injection of testosterone in most cases. Female HRT is complicated and need to control both estrogen and progesterone. Sometimes also androgens like testosterone as well.